PDA

View Full Version : "Permanace" of Ultrachrome Inks

neil poulsen
1-Mar-2004, 18:48
I just printed some images on a Epson 2200. The color was excellent. But I was amazed at the ease with which one could scratch or mar the image. Have others had this problem? If so, how can one avoid it or reinforce the image.

Guy Tal
1-Mar-2004, 18:54
What paper were you using? Some papers are more resistant than others. Another option is something like the Lyson Print Guard:

http://www.inkjetart.com/lyson_spray.html

Guy

matthew blais
1-Mar-2004, 19:45
I have the 2200 as well and typically use for color the premium luster, but I don't recollect any marks made with my "normal" handling, and I'm not one to treat them with reverance. Sometimes they sit in stacks on my desktop for days and get shuffled about. FWIW, another local pro photog said he put a 2200 color print on his dash and noticed considerably fading within a month, but I don't recall what paper he used. I guess that was his version of print permanance rating.

Bruce Watson
1-Mar-2004, 20:18
Neil,

This is normal. The pigments sit on top of the paper - they are not absorbed into the paper like dye inks are. Large solid color areas are prone to scuffing, especially dark areas. You can't treat these prints the same as you would a darkroom print, because these prints don't have the protective gelatin layer over the image that darkroom prints have.

The conventional wisdom now is that if your prints are to receive rough treatment, you might want to give them a coating of lacquer. As Guy suggests, Lyson Print Guard is a popular choice. Alternatively, you could treat them more gently ;-) but as with all things, YMMV.

tim atherton
1-Mar-2004, 20:33
the Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss and Smooth Pearl (make sure you use the Galerie "Smooth" versions) seem less prone to this, as does the Epson Ultrasmooth aka PremierArt Fine Art Hot Pressed cotton rag paper

Michael E. Gordon
1-Mar-2004, 23:52
After recently testing the Ilford papers that Mr. Atherton recommends here, I'd strongly second the suggestion. I'm nearly through with a 100' roll of Epson's Premium Luster, and although I may abandon that style of paper altogether, if I were to buy another, it would be Ilford's Smooth Pearl. It seems nearly identical to Premium Luster but with better control of gloss differential and far more durable right off the printer.

I have had some big disappointments with Premium Luster, and have wasted ink and paper on too easily damaged prints. Each 8x10 proof I make on Smooth Pearl leaves me with more admiration for it.

neil poulsen
2-Mar-2004, 05:05
I used and had a problem with Epson Premium Glossy.

Julian_3496
2-Mar-2004, 10:04
Neil, premium glossy is a crap paper. The best 'gloss' type paper I've used has been the epson premium semi matte. As Tim mentioned, the Ilford papers are better too as they take the ink into the substrate. You are using Photoblack on these RC type papers aren't you. The stock matte black will rub off easily

Julian

Michael E. Gordon
2-Mar-2004, 10:11
I'll second Julian's statement: Premium Glossy is crap with horrible bronzing. If you're after that look, try Pictorico's Photo Gallery Glossy Paper (http://www.pictorico.com/Secure/eCommerce/Catalog.asp?prdc=7). It's an excellent paper with very minimal bronzing and an excellent surface. The downside is it's price and that it is not available in rolls. I don't use the paper, but have tested it with very favorable results.

QT Luong
2-Mar-2004, 12:46
The consensus among Epson users seems to be that results are not satisfying with glossy papers. All the people I know stick to matte or at most semi-glossy.