PDA

View Full Version : How to Clean Darkroom Processing Equipment?

RedSun
5-Sep-2012, 06:29
I process both color and BW film and print. I use both Jobo and trays. What is the best way to clean the bottles, containers, trays, etc? I just want to clean them completely and do not want any cross-contamination.

bob carnie
5-Sep-2012, 06:35
I use hot water and clean after every use.

John Kasaian
5-Sep-2012, 07:05
I use hot water and detergent or soap.

RedSun
5-Sep-2012, 08:25
And we do not need some cleaning chemical to wash? What happens if I switch bottles, or use some unknown bottles?

bob carnie
5-Sep-2012, 08:40
I use some specific acids to clean developing racks of RA4 , and slight acid wash for scum on some trays but basically you are good to go with hot water and a good scrubbing brush.

If you are unsure about bottles , then I would toss them and get fresh containers.. In my shop I have mixing buckets for dev, fix, hypoclear, colour chemicals which are never swapped around. I find this a good way to keep track.
My Selenium jugs have only seen selenium . Just as I have specific, developer trays various sizes, stop trays, and fix and hypoclear trays as well as toning trays.
If your trays are stained brown then they usually were the dev, the fix tray stays very white, the acid tray takes on a bit of the developer stain.
so after awhile it becomes very apparent what is what.

And we do not need some cleaning chemical to wash? What happens if I switch bottles, or use some unknown bottles?