PDA

View Full Version : Considering a century universal 8x10

Pitcherman
4-Sep-2012, 19:06
Gentlemen-
I have never owned an 8x10 camera, but I have found a century universal for sale on Craigslist and am considering it. The bellows are said to be perfect. It comes with a 5x7 reducing back, no 8x10 back a couple of film holders and no lens. My main question is how hard it would be to locate or make an8x10 back for this camera. I am sure there are outlets for parts like this. any thoughts on how expensive it would be to make this a functional 8x10 would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance,
Robert

Chauncey Walden
4-Sep-2012, 19:21
Robert, the backs are around. I picked up a vintage one from this list for $100. Richard Ritter could also make you one, I'm sure. Used film holders can be found for $35 to $50 and a lens for $300 or so. Film, while getting pricey can still be found for $2 to $5 a sheet. The Universal is a good camera; Weston was impressed by them.

Pitcherman
4-Sep-2012, 19:39
Chauncey-
Wow,thanks for the prompt response. That is good news. I knew this was the place to get information on this. I am a complete newb to LF photography, but am looking forward to learning and shooting. Thanks again.
Cheers!
Robert

C. D. Keth
4-Sep-2012, 20:16
Chauncey-
Wow,thanks for the prompt response. That is good news. I knew this was the place to get information on this. I am a complete newb to LF photography, but am looking forward to learning and shooting. Thanks again.
Cheers!
Robert

You found the right place. I've been given a lot of great advice here over the past several years.

Peter York
4-Sep-2012, 21:39
There is a good review of the camera here: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/century/century_universal_8x10.html

I really like mine. It is relatively light at a little over 9 lbs. You should be able to find an 8x10 back from here or on ebay or elsewhere if you are patient.

Jeffrey Arthur
4-Sep-2012, 23:31
I love mine. A portable 8x10 with a good bellows draw that fits in a small back pack. It can't be beat.

Corran
5-Sep-2012, 06:25
I like mine too. What are they asking for it? Without an 8x10 back or any necessary accessories, I hope not more than about $300.

rjmeyer314
5-Sep-2012, 12:20
I went through exactly the same scenario, I found an 8x10 Century Universal with a 5x7 back. I found an 8x10 back at a swap meet (I don't know what camera it was made for) and cut it down to fit on my table saw. It's not hard to do.

John Kasaian
6-Sep-2012, 07:30
A Century Universal is a sweet 8x10! The option of using it to shoot 5x7 until an 8x10 back can be found would be very tempting if the camera is on good condition and the price is right (in which case I'd jump on it!:cool:)

Pitcherman
7-Sep-2012, 07:35
Well gents,
A lot has happened in the past few days. I made another call about the camera and learned that it is not a Universal, but a studio camera which I would really love to own, but does really fit into my life at this point. It would have been a good project but in the interim, I got a a BxJ red bellows 4x5 and am going to put my time and effort into learning on it. I do have a lens a 180 mm a highly coveted Commercial Astragon f6.3.:p may upgrade it soon, but for what want to do first and foremost it should be adequate. I made a new lensboard for it and bought some film. I will take it out this weekend and make my first exposures. Wish me luck

But, really thanks to all who posted. I am looking forward to learning this craft. I have been a professional photographer for the past 20 years, but have never had the chance to get into large format. So this is good.

Thanks again guys. I will be posting some questions in the processing forum on developing tubes etc.
Have a great weekend.
Robert