PDA

View Full Version : How to Ship Darkroom Liquid Chemicals?

RedSun
4-Sep-2012, 18:32
Is UPS the only shipper who can handle this? Postal service would not ship bleach or things like that.

If UPS does ship, do you have to pack it in a particular way? Would it cost more?

Vick Ko
4-Sep-2012, 19:38
FEDEX ships liquids.

joselsgil
4-Sep-2012, 23:18
Is UPS the only shipper who can handle this? Postal service would not ship bleach or things like that.

If UPS does ship, do you have to pack it in a particular way? Would it cost more?

Just make sure the lid is closed tightly. :)

All kidding aside. Put the chemical bottles in a zip lock bag in addition to the padding.

I remember having to ship via FedEx, 18 large cooler with groundwater samples. We even had to pack the samples with ice. FedEx had no problems shipping them. I did not handle the chain of custody, so I'm not sure if we checked off that this was contaminated water. :cool:

Jose

RedSun
5-Sep-2012, 00:21
How about UPS? What should I do if I need to ship 5 liters of bleach? ;)

Paul Bujak
5-Sep-2012, 04:44
How about UPS? What should I do if I need to ship 5 liters of bleach? ;)

Ask them?

David de Gruyl
5-Sep-2012, 06:00
Assuming you are in the continental US. Just for making this a much simpler answer.

I suspect you will need to ship bleach "ORM-D" which means (among other things) surface transport only. FedEx Ground or UPS can handle this. USPS won't do it. 5 liters might be too much and might require "hazmat" shipping. Best thing to do is call UPS and ask.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ORM-D for more information.