PDA

View Full Version : What Tripod for Sinar 4x5?

RedSun
1-Sep-2012, 21:00
Hi, I have a Manfrotto 3001 with 3030 head I used with the MF camera. I just wonder if this tripod is strong enough to support a Sinar F2. The head seems too small. Do I need a new tripod, or just get a bigger head? I may get a Sinar P....

Peter De Smidt
1-Sep-2012, 21:03
Get a Sinar Pan/Tilt head. Try it on the pod. If the pod can't handle the system, get a bigger one, still using the Sinar head. With an F2, something like a Gitzo series 3 would be a good option, depending one what lenses and shooting conditions you'll be in.

Leigh
1-Sep-2012, 21:40
Majestic.

There are different models, some with a single tube for each leg, some with a double tube, side-by-side, forming a triangle for each leg.

These things are built like tanks, with geared heads (front/back nod axis). They would easily support a car.
The center column has geared rise with a safety so it can't drop.

They have three built-in bubble levels for leveling the tripod/center column.

I use them along with the Sinar pan/tilt head for both of my Sinar F2 cameras, one 4x5 and one 8x10.

- Leigh

Jeff Keller
1-Sep-2012, 22:08
I mounted a Sinar P on an old, little used, Manfrotto 3001 to see if I would be happy with it. With the tripod on a smooth floor, pressing slightly on the standards would cause noticeable movement. The smooth floor made it harder for the legs to not spread but the worst seemed to be the center column moving even though it wasn't extended. My best guess was that it would work with careful use but I never shot any film and found a very old metal Gitzo series 4 leg set which is much stiffer.

A LF camera extends much further above the head than either 35mm or MF, providing more opportunity for external forces to create enough torque to flex the tripod, head, and connections. If you are using relatively modest weight lenses of moderate or short focal lengths the 3001 will probably be acceptable but if you don't want to baby your setup you will likely want something stiffer.

The Sinar pan/tilt head, as others have said, is one of the best choices for a Sinar camera.

Jeff Keller

RedSun
2-Sep-2012, 06:51
The Manfrotto can only take up to 11 lbs. I think with the P and all the film backs, it is better to get another one. Just do not know which one to get. There are tons of them.

Peter De Smidt
2-Sep-2012, 06:57
If it's mainly for a P, a Gitzo Series 5 + Sinar head is a good choice. That's what I used. The Series 5 is heavy, but if you're all that concerned about that then you wouldn't be using a Sinar P.

aluncrockford
2-Sep-2012, 07:19
If you are only working in the studio then the only real option is a studio stand, not too costly and far better than a tripod, Cambo and Foba are the industry standard and can be picked up on ebay without too much problem

Ken Lee
2-Sep-2012, 08:15
I have used a Bogen 3021 and a Manfrotto 3275 3-way geared head (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#Tripod) for my Sinar P with lenses up to 610mm for over 10 years. In the field and studio.

Not the lightest (or heaviest) setup - but affordable, convenient and easy to operate.

I also strongly recommend the Manfrotto 438 leveling head (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#LevelingHead).

Just as we rarely see a cinematographer or videographer shooting without a lens shade, I've never seen surveyor equipment without a leveling head.

Richard Wasserman
2-Sep-2012, 08:26
No one ever seems to mention Linhof tripods. I picked up a used Linhof Twin-Shank tripod and it's really nice. It is extremely solid and surprisingly light-weight—I think it weighs something like 6-7 pounds. It's not the tripod I choose when I have to carry it a distance as t is pretty bulky and not as light as my Gitzo CF, but in the studio or close to a vehicle it is a great choice. I use it it with a Sinar head with my Norma.

RedSun
2-Sep-2012, 14:05
I just picked up a Gitzo 3530 from a local sale. It is bundled with the Gitzo monopod 3550, Nikon D200 + SB800 and a 80-200/2.8 big glass, for a good price.

It comes with the Really Right Stuff ball head. I'll see if I should sell it to swap for the Sinar pan tilt head.

Robert Budding
2-Sep-2012, 18:29
I have used a Bogen 3021 and a Manfrotto 3275 3-way geared head (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#Tripod) for my Sinar P with lenses up to 610mm for over 10 years. In the field and studio.

Not the lightest (or heaviest) setup - but affordable, convenient and easy to operate.

I also strongly recommend the Manfrotto 438 leveling head (http://www.kenleegallery.com/html/tech/index.php#LevelingHead).

Just as we rarely see a cinematographer or videographer shooting without a lens shade, I've never seen surveyor equipment without a leveling head.

The Manfrotto 438 looks interesting, so I ordered one today. Thanks for the heads-up, Ken.

Frank Petronio
2-Sep-2012, 18:31
Sinar Pan Tilts run $200-$300 for sane used prices, whereas the BH55 sells for $450-ish new (depending on configuration) and are in demand, so you should be able to trade or at least sell for a profit and buy the Sinar. Supply is the other problem - buying from an established reputable seller on German eBay.de may be the best bet.