PDA

View Full Version : Magic tricks that improve light & stop the breeze

Heroique
1-Sep-2012, 12:18
Just curious – my magic tricks seem to be losing their effectiveness, and I need new ones.

For example, “I hate rabbits” used to slow the breeze – or quicken it, depending on my needs – but I think I’ve used-up its magic.

What reliable trick or incantation of yours can I try out? :D

And if you don’t use any, why not? Have you ever tried? It might make a believer out of you.

Richard Wasserman
1-Sep-2012, 12:34
I've found that I can stop the wind by holding my breath. Sometimes I have to not breathe for a very long time....

Vaughn
1-Sep-2012, 13:17
Sorry, but if I let others use my magic, it will get used up too fast...

Heroique
1-Sep-2012, 13:30
Sorry, but if I let others use my magic, it will get used up too fast...

That’s okay – I also have tricks I want to keep secret. ;^)

But as we all know, no trick lasts forever for any photographer – however, the magic of an exhausted trick does renew itself when someone else begins using it.

So if you have old tricks that don’t work anymore, please share so the rest of us can try it out...

Vaughn
1-Sep-2012, 13:48
Well, I have a staring contest with the wind -- if I win I get to take the photo.

Leigh
1-Sep-2012, 20:02
Regarding the light...

I merely remove my shades.

My radiant visage illuminates all who stand before me, and the world in which they live.

Then I wake up.

- Leigh

Vaughn
1-Sep-2012, 20:58
Yeah -- and I use to have incredible hang time as I soared to dunk the basketball. It would be the hang time that clued me in that it was a dream.

Vaughn - yes I have actually dunked on a regulation hoop

Jody_S
1-Sep-2012, 21:04
I yell at the clouds and tell the wind to bugger off. It doesn't help, but it makes me feel better.

Vaughn
1-Sep-2012, 21:19
I yell at the clouds and tell the wind to bugger off. It doesn't help, but it makes me feel better.

That reminds me of an old one-frame cartoon, a caveman is dancing and cursing on top of a rock pile is a huge storm. Two miserable wet cavemen are in the foreground and one of them says, "I don't know if he's doing any good, but at least he's trying something."

Jerry Bodine
2-Sep-2012, 08:56
Years ago, I had a composition all set up of a sunlit scene when a huge cloud moved over it and killed the light. I cupped my hands around my mouth in yelling fashion, looked upward and blew really hard. After quite some time the sunlight returned - it was a high cloud.

C. D. Keth
2-Sep-2012, 09:01
Years ago, I had a composition all set up of a sunlit scene when a huge cloud moved over it and killed the light. I cupped my hands around my mouth in yelling fashion, looked upward and blew really hard. After quite some time the sunlight returned - it was a high cloud.

It's a lucky thing that you're sufficiently full of hot air to reach a cloud at that altitude.;)

Heroique
2-Sep-2012, 11:45
Many here have noticed that a troublesome breeze often lives inside your film holder – pull the darkslide, the wind picks up; replace it, the wind dies down.

So the trick is don’t pull the darkslide.

Another trick for calming the breeze is breaking-down the camera to go home. This trick is especially useful because it also improves the light.

An even better magic trick is to stay at home which keeps all conditions at the shot location perfect!

austin granger
2-Sep-2012, 20:46
When the wind is blowing, I make pictures of the wind. :)
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5059/5481037384_73bc008cc8_z.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6087/6087172498_89bf39c768_b.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6207/6106827173_141a03f644_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/

Mark Sawyer
3-Sep-2012, 09:55
When developing a wet plate in front of middle- or high-school kids, I always tap my wand on the rim of the tray and say "Photographicus Appearioso!" Works every time. A little trick I learned watching Harry Potter...

Preston
3-Sep-2012, 10:35
The wind always calms and the light is the best when I sit down on a rock after standing for an hour with the cable release in my hand--this trick has never failed me.

Austin, I really like the middle one, above. Very cool!

--P

Cletus
3-Sep-2012, 12:25
+1 on the breaking down of the gear. That always seems to improve everything. And if you dare try to quickly set up again, it immediately gets worse than before.

Lately I've taken to carrying a little Kestrel amem..anmi..amma.......wind measury thingy with me to really see what the wind is doing beforehand. It has a barometer so you can guess if it's gonna rain, too!

Greg Miller
3-Sep-2012, 12:34
The wind is always the calmest when I go out on a calm day.

austin granger
3-Sep-2012, 12:35
The above comments made me laugh. I too have noticed that the most amazing things happen just after I put away my camera! (And thanks Preston)

Frank Petronio
3-Sep-2012, 12:41
If I fart downwind and towards the camera, it balances out the gusts and also warms the film/shutter up.

Joseph Dickerson
3-Sep-2012, 14:11
Just curious – my magic tricks seem to be losing their effectiveness, and I need new ones.

For example, “I hate rabbits” used to slow the breeze – or quicken it, depending on my needs – but I think I’ve used-up its magic.

And if you don’t use any, why not? Have you ever tried? It might make a believer out of you.

I don't know if it's magic or paranormal but instead of saying," one-Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi" to count long exposures I say," one Ansel Adams, two Ansel Adams, three Ansel Adams". The photos just seem to come out better.

JD

David Lobato
3-Sep-2012, 14:31
This happens all the time. I step out of range of the cable release and the wind will die. By the time I run back to the camera the wind is back. I wish I had a nickel for every time this has happened.

Aeolus can be cruel to us.

Heroique
3-Sep-2012, 14:59
...To count long exposures I say, “one Ansel Adams, two Ansel Adams, three Ansel Adams.” The photos just seem to come out better.

Aeolus can be cruel to us.

Maybe “One Aeolus, Two Aeolus,” would please & calm this windy God.

That reminds me. I think Aeolus – in one of those old Greek epics – put the winds in a sack so Odysseus could better control them, but the hero’s shipmates opened it up & let them out. We landscape heroes suffer to this day.

Kirk Gittings
3-Sep-2012, 15:19
Regarding the light...

I merely remove my shades.

My radiant visage illuminates all who stand before me, and the world in which they live.

Then I wake up.

- Leigh :)

rdenney
3-Sep-2012, 15:50
Many here have noticed that a troublesome breeze often lives inside your film holder – pull the darkslide, the wind picks up; replace it, the wind dies down.

No, it's the press-focus control. I find that leaving it open kills any residual breeze.

Rick "who only tried it once, no, twice last week" Denney

rdenney
3-Sep-2012, 15:53
Maybe “One Aeolus, Two Aeolus,” would please & calm this windy God.

That reminds me. I think Aeolus – in one of those old Greek epics – put the winds in a sack so Odysseus could better control them, but the hero’s shipmates opened it up & let them out. We landscape heroes suffer to this day.

That only works with Greek winds.

Rick "dealing with some cantankerous New World winds recently--they didn't know ancient Greek and weren't particularly impressed that my incantations attempted it" Denney

Mike Anderson
3-Sep-2012, 16:46
Bring a small child and a kite with you. That will suppress the breeze.

Heroique
3-Sep-2012, 17:16
Bring a small child and a kite with you. That will suppress the breeze.

Now that was very funny, but in a really sad way.

WootSK
3-Sep-2012, 19:29
Bring something like a psp, handphone with games, a tablet or a friend/ girlfriend. It doesn't helps make the wind stop or better lighting, it help making the wait feels shorter.

Kirk Gittings
3-Sep-2012, 20:03
I am known to be extremely "lucky" with weather for photography (ask some of my former assistants). I don't know why. Beyond working at being really present, humble and appreciative, when I consciously attempt to influence anything in nature it never works.

Brian Ellis
3-Sep-2012, 20:20
When the wind refuses to die down or the light refuses to get better I start saying "oh well, it's time to quit, no more photographs today, I'll just pack everything up and go home." Then I start taking down the camera and putting it away. Right about then the wind usually quits or the light improves.

E. von Hoegh
4-Sep-2012, 12:09

I've never found any magic tricks which work.

If you're bored some day and have some extra goats, or virgins, or any other critters you need to use up you could try a sacrifice to one of these guys:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_deities.

Mike Anderson
4-Sep-2012, 12:43

If you're bored some day and have some extra goats, or virgins, or any other critters you need to use up you could try a sacrifice to one of these guys:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_deities.

I sacrifice a good percentage of the sheet film I use. Doesn't help.

E. von Hoegh
4-Sep-2012, 13:28
I sacrifice a good percentage of the sheet film I use. Doesn't help.

You sacrifice it, but to whom - or what?

Mike Anderson
4-Sep-2012, 14:01
You sacrifice it, but to whom - or what?

Ah, hell. I'm really good at the sacrificing part, but a proper ceremonial dedication...hmmm, maybe that's the problem.

E. von Hoegh
4-Sep-2012, 14:09
Ah, @#!*% . I'm really good at the sacrificing part, but a proper ceremonial dedication...hmmm, maybe that's the problem.

Maybe?? A sacrifice is nothing without proper dedication! Try L.J.M. Daguerre.

Michael Graves
5-Sep-2012, 04:45
If I fart downwind and towards the camera, it balances out the gusts and also warms the film/shutter up.

'Zat what happened to all those dead trees out by Rochester?

Robert Opheim
2-Dec-2012, 21:36
When there is wind I shoot rigid objects and try to have very little in the composition that will move. Or, I let the subject mater move and guess at the amount of artistic dynamic movement that will be expressed in the image. Or, I wait. As far as rain - there is always rain in Western Washington (at least 5 months) so it is a matter of: waiting (and using plastic bags), chance, running out to shoot when there is sun, running out when there is overcast (my favorite), or packing it up for another day!

richardman
3-Dec-2012, 03:23
Wind and light are small problems. Now how can we conjure up dramatic clouds?!

ROL
3-Dec-2012, 11:39
Now how can we conjure up dramatic clouds?!

You could always just check the forecast before going out, and leave the magic for the darkroom – but then you will have to live with the darkness of being an Adams ape. That would be the Ansel variety. Bald skies will get you the accusation of being a Robert Adams ape. Come to think of it, much better just to stay home and post to LF forums.

C. D. Keth
3-Dec-2012, 13:14

By early 2013 I will have a line of virgin goats for sale for this very purpose. Only $999 + shipping.

CP Goerz
10-Dec-2012, 09:55
Somewhat Like Brian but in my version I say something to the effect that nothing will change and its time to go home and start folding the dark cloth...the wind usually dies down a bit then :-) I've also found that if I pack the gear up completely the light gets better and the wind dies down even more.

The usual scenario is where I have packed the gear and have walked half a mile back to the car, this is when both the wind has stopped and the best light ever appears on the subject. To avoid heartache I have found it best NOT to look back no matter how warm a glow you feel on your neck, just like you should never walk upstream after taking a drink.

Jerry Bodine
10-Dec-2012, 12:07
I tried pointing my left index finger to the sky and shouting "Abacadabra Zaba-daba-do, let there be light." It didn't work. Maybe the wrong inflections, or maybe I should use the right hand, because there's more power in it. That seems to have worked for Michelangelo.