PDA

View Full Version : One Shot Stop Bath

wiggywag
31-Aug-2012, 15:55
I´ve heard that a mild stop bath is best to use with developers containing sodium carbonate. Im going to use ABC Pyro which use sodium carbonate and wonders if I should use a weaker stop bath than the 15 gr citric acid pr liter which I now use. Is 5gr Citric Acid pr liter sufficient to stop a strong developer like ABC Pyro 2-1-1-15? I then think I will discard the stop bath after session, like say 12 negatives.

David Schaller
31-Aug-2012, 17:08
I use one teaspoon of citric acid per liter of water, with Pyrocat, and dump it. Others, and sometimes I too, use just a water stop. I think either is sufficient, since my negatives do not have more density than I would have expected, but I have not tested specifically to determine the difference. Of course this has been the subject of much debate here. But other than perhaps exhausting your fixer marginally sooner, I would see no harm in trying the weaker stop bath and/or plain water before going to stronger acidity.
Dave

sully75
31-Aug-2012, 18:13
I wonder about a sort of mixture of Kodak stop bath and a water stop. I mean...obviously any stop bath in there makes it not a water stop but if you were doing one shot and wanted to put some stop in there just to kick things off a little more, how much would you put?

Dan Henderson
2-Sep-2012, 09:01
I use citric acid (about a tablespoon/liter when I am lith printing to stop the infectious development in its tracks. For everything else (film and paper,) its H20. Since my film and paper developing testing used water stop, any continued development in the water stop is factored into my process.