PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Uniroller Dual-Speed base. Help!

Jim Cole
31-Aug-2012, 08:59
This week, my Uniroller Model 352 base has decided to be uncooperative. I modified this one my moving the reversing switch to the outside of the housing and removing the inner switching lever from the mechanism so I could switch directions manually.

After 3-4 years of great times, the unit works great in one direction, but slows to a crawl and dies in the reverse direction. I did a alcohol cleaning of the switch, but the problem remains. Is this as simple as buying a replacement switch, or do I have a permanent issue with the motor? I assumed that if a motor worked in one direction, it would work in the other, but I know the saying about assumptions. There is also a yellow diode of some sort wired across the poles of the reversing switch. Could this be bad?

I suck at electronics, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Jim Noel
31-Aug-2012, 09:18
The "yellow diode" is more likely a capacitor which may have begun leaking. It can be replaced at Radio Shack.

Jim Cole
31-Aug-2012, 10:22
The "yellow diode" is more likely a capacitor which may have begun leaking. It can be replaced at Radio Shack.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Before I run to Radio Shack, could this capacitor cause the issue I've described?

Jim Cole
1-Sep-2012, 07:02
I've started loking for a replacement capacitor and am having some problems. I know it's referred to as a "motor start" or "motor run" capacitor and is rated at 220 VAC with a capacitance of 1.25 uF. Been searching the internet for about an hour to find matching specs with no luck so far. I assume I can use a higher rating as far as the voltage goes, but the issue is the 1.25 uF. If I want to use a different rating, can I? If so, would I look for a lower uF value or a higher one. I realize this is not an electronics forum, but I'm hoping to get lucky.

Thanks

ic-racer
1-Sep-2012, 16:06
On of the simplest reversing schemes I know for AC motors is to us a 3 phase motor on one phase supply and use a switch to move the location of the start capacitor. Perhaps the Uniroller uses a similar setup if it just has a switch and a capacitor.

Jim Cole
1-Sep-2012, 19:06
On of the simplest reversing schemes I know for AC motors is to us a 3 phase motor on one phase supply and use a switch to move the location of the start capacitor. Perhaps the Uniroller uses a similar setup if it just has a switch and a capacitor.

Thanks ic-racer. Yes it does. After finding it impossible to find the proper replacement capacitor anywhere on line or in Indianapolis today, I started the motor and smoke came out of the switch. Took about two hours of research figuring out the proper switch to buy (a Standard size 125v 15A SPDT On/On rocker switch) which I couldn't find locally either (bought the wrong thing at Radio Shack), so I ordered a couple on line. Almost a complete day of trying to figure out how to fix this thing, but I think I have it figured out.

I would still like to know if anyone can answer my capacitor question in post #4 above in case the switch doesn't fix the problem when it arrives next week.

Thanks

ic-racer
2-Sep-2012, 07:31
The capacitor may indeed have been going bad and now is shorted out. If you can't find a small motor capacitor like the one in the picture here, a generic Metalized Polypropylene Film capacitor around 1 to 2 uf may work.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v670/ic-racer/2012/cap.jpg

wombat2go
2-Sep-2012, 08:08
Hi, Jim
Brief search did not show a 1.25 uF motor capacitor, the smallest start at about 2 uF
I would try the first item below, just use the 1.5 uF section.
For anything connected to utility supply it is better to get a capacitor with "motor" rating.
Even though other types may work, they don't have the listing for that duty.

1.5 uF section
http://www.amazon.com/BM-Ceiling-Capacitor-1-5uf-2-5uf/dp/B004Q83X7O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346598027&sr=8-3&keywords=motor+start+capacitor+1%2C25

2 uF
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/31-10190

Jim Cole
2-Sep-2012, 17:37
Thanks for the follow-ups guys. It's greatly appreciated. I joined an Electronics_101 Yahoo group and it took one of those guys about 30 minutes to come up with a supplier of a capacitor with the correct specs. So, I'll replace the switch first and then order the capacitor if that doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks again and I'll report back if I get it running again.

Jim Cole
7-Sep-2012, 08:22
Thanks for the help everyone. It was just the switch. It's in and working like a champ again.

If anyone needs a new reversing switch it's a SPDT 125/220 VAC On/On appliance rocker switch available here:

http://www.delcity.net/store/search/p_788664.h_788672.t_1.n_y.jsp