PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Type 54 and Type 55 Polaroid?

schmidtjas
31-Aug-2012, 07:19
I have an unopened box of Type 54 that expired in 1992. I know Type 55 seems to be popular as people purchase the stuff even if it is very expired. What is the difference between the two? I can't seem to find really any info on type 54 but tons on type 55.

E. von Hoegh
31-Aug-2012, 07:23
Google sez:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/42725-REG/Polaroid_613271_Type_54_4x5_Instant.html

Vaughn
31-Aug-2012, 07:27
Type 54 gives just the print -- no negative.

schmidtjas
31-Aug-2012, 07:28
I had found the B&H link but couldn't make heads or tails of it as I have no experience with 55 or 54. But knowing only the print is made is what I was looking for, thanks for the quick replies

Mark Stahlke
31-Aug-2012, 07:31
Polaroid Type 54 (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=polaroid+type+54)

Polaroid Type 55 (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=polaroid+type+55)

:) :cool:

erian
2-Feb-2020, 17:00
Polaroid Type 54 (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=polaroid+type+54)

Polaroid Type 55 (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=polaroid+type+55)

:) :cool:

After just 8 years, do you still feel as smart as you did in the year 2012?

If you just wrote few words, we may know what actually was the difference between type 54 and type 55.

I am sorry, I hope that this lmgfy just dies. Nobody else than us is there to keep the knowledge.

BrianShaw
2-Feb-2020, 17:23
http://www.polaristen.de/fileadmin/polaristen/images/Datenblaetter/polaroid_sheet_films.pdf

Page 2, sweetheart.

erian
3-Feb-2020, 20:35
http://www.polaristen.de/fileadmin/polaristen/images/Datenblaetter/polaroid_sheet_films.pdf

Page 2, sweetheart.

Thank you! I think I had it figured out, Type 55 is ISO 50 and Type 54 is ISO 100. Type 55 gives also a negative and Type 54 does not (but I am not sure about this), Type 54 is coaterless (but I have no idea what it really means).

I must say that I was really irritated by the old comment. If you googling something and the first link promises to give you an answer but it just redirects you back to google then it really grinds my gears.

BrianShaw
4-Feb-2020, 05:44
I understand. Finding old Polaroid information has become very challenging!

Some of the old B&W prints were not stable and oxidized after development. A tube with a fluid-soaked swab was provided so after development the print was coated with a plastic-like coating.

Mark Stahlke
4-Feb-2020, 10:50
After just 8 years, do you still feel as smart as you did in the year 2012?

If you just wrote few words, we may know what actually was the difference between type 54 and type 55.

I am sorry, I hope that this lmgfy just dies. Nobody else than us is there to keep the knowledge.

If Google didn't answer your question try looking up www.polaroid.com on the wayback machine. You can find the full specs there.
And try to grow a sense of humor. I find life is much less stressful with a well developed sense of humor.

Mark Stahlke
4-Feb-2020, 11:08
After a few minutes on the wayback machine I found this:

T-54 Coaterless Proofing Black & White
Medium speed and contrast sheet film for black and white prints. Coaterless, wide tonal range, intended for exposures of 1 /10 second or faster, matches speed of ISO 100 chrome films.

Key Applications:
Professional photography proofing (strobe or short exposures only)
Test shots of less than 1 /10 second or with a strobe

Compatible Hardware:
Any instrument or camera equipped with a Model 545 / 545I film holder
MP-4+ camera

Special Treatment:
Processing the film for longer than 3 minutes may damage the print surface.
At temperatures above 75°F (24°C), film should not be processed for longer than one (1) minute for optimum image stability.
Processing affects contrast and density to some extent. A picture processed for too short a time will have dull grays, mottle and little contrast. If maximum density is required, the processing time may be extended by 15 seconds (for example, process for 45 seconds rather than 30 seconds). This may increase the contrast and density, but may also result in some loss of gray.

Processing Information:
Film Speed - 100 ISO/ 21 DIN
Format - 4 x 5 in. (10.16 x 12.7 cm) Sheet Film
Image Area - 3 1/2 x 4 5/8 in. (9 x 11.7 cm)
Finish - Glossy
Exposures per Unit - 20 exposures per box
Development Time - 30 seconds
Full Warranty

And this:

T-55 Pos./Neg. Black & White
Extremely high-resolution positive/negative film for finely detailed black and white prints (and negatives). Medium speed and contrast, produces instant prints and negatives.

Key Applications:
Proofing
Scientific imaging
Advertising and magazine photography
SEM or microscope imaging
Copystand photography
Fine-art photography
Any application requiring a negative for additional prints

Compatible Hardware:
Any instrument or camera equipped with a Model 545 / 545I film holder
MP-4+ camera
4 x 5 view cameras with a 545i film holder
FreezeFrame Plus (with optional 4 x 5 film holder)

Special Treatment:
Requires print coating, negative requires clearing/washing
To re-use the negative, it must be immersed in a sodium sulfite clearing bath immediately after development. Sodium sulfite powder is readily available from professional photographic supply dealers and chemical supply houses.

Processing Information:
Film Speed - 50 ISO/ 18 DIN
Format - 4 x 5 in. (10.16 x 12.7 cm) Sheet Film
Image Area - 3 1/2 x 4 5/8 in. (9 x 11.7 cm)
Finish - Glossy
Exposures per Unit - 20 exposures per box
Development Time - 25 seconds at 70°F
Full Warranty

richydicky
4-Feb-2020, 12:25
This link lists PDF files of the original spec sheets of many Polaroid films and some other instruction and maintenance documents.

https://125px.com/docs/film/polaroid/

I have found that most of the sheets I have come across recently either the chemicals have dried completely or don't spread well. I do expose such sheets then develop the negative in regular chemicals, even a paper one like Type 54, and you get a scannable image with a particular effect.

Vaughn
4-Feb-2020, 15:23
I made this image years ago, perhaps 20 years. I did not coat the print (Type55) and I put it on my office door for many years to see how it faded. It bronzed nicely. It has been in a box for the last 6 years.

Self-portrait with studio strobes (Normans) -- Dark room, no lights on, lens of the 4x5 left open, and the flash unit set off by having it connected to the 8x10 camera and fired with its cable release in my hand. Previous efforts taped to the 8x10. I could have used a cable release on the 4x5, but I wanted to look like I was using the 8x10 for some reason or another.

erian
4-Feb-2020, 17:15
If Google didn't answer your question try looking up www.polaroid.com on the wayback machine. You can find the full specs there.
And try to grow a sense of humor. I find life is much less stressful with a well developed sense of humor.

Thanks Mark, the polaroid.com on waypack machine is a good tip. I usually lookup only individual pages but browsing the whole site might be a good idea.

I understand what you mean but for me the situation feels rather bitter. I usually just ignore such situations and keep my cool but for some reason I lost it here.

erian
4-Feb-2020, 17:20
I understand. Finding old Polaroid information has become very challenging!

Some of the old B&W prints were not stable and oxidized after development. A tube with a fluid-soaked swab was provided so after development the print was coated with a plastic-like coating.

Hi Brian, sorry for blurting out like this. I know that lmgtfy was general trend at that time. Did not play out in the long term though. My emotional note was meant rather for the future generation as a warning.

I have one of such tubes (probably useless memorabilia by now). Will it be meaningful for Type 55 or only for non coated types?

erian
4-Feb-2020, 17:22
I made this image years ago, perhaps 20 years. I did not coat the print (Type55) and I put it on my office door for many years to see how it faded. It bronzed nicely. It has been in a box for the last 6 years.

Self-portrait with studio strobes (Normans) -- Dark room, no lights on, lens of the 4x5 left open, and the flash unit set off by having it connected to the 8x10 camera and fired with its cable release in my hand. Previous efforts taped to the 8x10. I could have used a cable release on the 4x5, but I wanted to look like I was using the 8x10 for some reason or another.

Hilarious.

erian
4-Feb-2020, 17:24
After a few minutes on the wayback machine I found this:

And this:

What I gather from this is that the Type 54 was meant to be a throw away stuff.

BrianShaw
4-Feb-2020, 17:50
Hi Brian, sorry for blurting out like this. I know that lmgtfy was general trend at that time. Did not play out in the long term though. My emotional note was meant rather for the future generation as a warning.

I have one of such tubes (probably useless memorabilia by now). Will it be meaningful for Type 55 or only for non coated types?

No problem.

I never shot much T-55 but think I remember having to coat the positive. The negative was processed in Sodium Sulfate, washed and dried... but no other treatment required. But my memory could be faulty. :)

If you have one it’s a museum piece. Probably dried up. Besides... there might not be any usable Polaroid film available anymore.

BrianShaw
4-Feb-2020, 17:52
What I gather from this is that the Type 54 was meant to be a throw away stuff.

Most folks probably used it for proofing. I know I’m not alone in using Polaroid as a final product. Oh how I miss it...

Willie
4-Feb-2020, 18:49
55-54=1

dasBlute
4-Feb-2020, 18:52
at least some people used type 54 for it's own sake, I know I did. I was learning and it was a quick way to get 4x5 images, made nice handheld images in the field. Great for pinhole! I've got hundreds around somewhere...

Any type55 around will probably have a dry chemistry packet by now, still very good film, I wouldn't run it through the holder. I have a couple boxes still, and every once in awhile some yahoo will try to sell some on ebay for hundreds. I remember someone saying you can get reasonable results from *any* film with 6-8 mins in D76 :)

-Tim

erian
5-Feb-2020, 17:04
55-54=1

At least it is something.

Mark Sampson
5-Feb-2020, 19:46
I'll suggest that most 4x5 Polaroid was used for proofing; I know that's what I used it for. I admire artists (like Mark Klett) who shot T-55 in the field and made it work, but I never really tried that; regular film was so much cheaper. Almost all my Polaroid exposures were shot on the job or billed to a free-lance client. You'll note that in the description of T-54 they mention matching the tonal range of transparency film- which explains 54 in a nutshell.