PDA

View Full Version : new member old korona camera

drdrew
30-Aug-2012, 08:06
hello all, i was directed to this forum by a friend who reports it as a great resource. first of all i am a newb in every sense, both to the forum and to LF photography (though not to photography in general). at any rate i suppose i will likely be blasted for my newbish ways so i openly admit i know next to nothing about all of this LF stuff, but hope to be fully functional at some point. now what has happened is probably cliche as well. i won an old Korona Series V 4x5 camera on ebay. i just fell in love with the photos of it. it has arrived and is in fact in amazing condition for its age. the metal is shiny, the wood is gorgeous, the bellows are intact. it came with 3 film holders and a light meter. it has a convertible lens with attachments. movelments appear to be in order, though a little sticky.

here she is:

http://i49.tinypic.com/birlsp.jpg

my issue is the back of this camera. i cannot for the life of me figure out how it is supposed to stay on or how to load the film, etc. the back has the GG intact. but no real means of keeping it hooked on to the body of the camera. there are two latches that lift only very slightly and then touch a kind of pin. but this seems to not really do anything. further more there seems to maybe be another section that might be moveable or removeable, and there is a finger screw to one side that seems to loosen this piece, thogh not disengage it. there are two small flathead side screws attached to some internal plate where it seems to be affixed. here are some photos to try and clear up confusion because likely my explanation is newbish and ridiculous anyway...

here is the back from the inside showing the GG. there is no seeming way to attach this part to the main body
http://i49.tinypic.com/1zvy0c0.jpg

here is the back of the body showing one of two latches on wither side that lift up just a tiny bit...but i cannot tell what they do. this also shows the finger screw that seems to loosen the second back piece, though not disengage it. it turnas only a few turns loose or tightens.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2500d8j.jpg

here is another photo of the side with the hand screw loosened showing where it wants to separate
http://i46.tinypic.com/2lcxriq.jpg

so, this is where i am at. i do have 4 original film holders. so my questions are basically is there a part or piece missing to this set up? can it be fabricated or found? or am i just not doing this correctly. a final plan might be to affic a graflex or other back in place of this one and i am willing to do this if necessary though would prefer to make the original set up work. thanks for any and all input or help! blast away!!!

E. von Hoegh
30-Aug-2012, 09:16
1) Those silver clips on the upper rear corners are to hold the GG back on. It likely sits in two grooves or hooks at the bottom, then you drop the latches in place to hold it on, either in vertical or horizontal orientation.

2) The knob on the back is probably to lock the back after you pull it out. See those two buttons under the leather, on each side near the back? I think those release the back, allowing some rear movements.

3) Your filmholders are probably plateholders.
I'm not very familiar with this camera, however someone here is .
See the homepage of this site for a wealth of information. The button is in the upper left corner of your screen, just under "What's New".

drdrew
30-Aug-2012, 10:16
thanks for your reply. the silver clipd dont seem to hold it on, but i did find the slots at the bottom (though one is missing, so i get that part now. what is the difference between a film holder and a plate holder? sorry but i dont see the two buttons under the leather? thank you for your help i think i may be missing a section that holds the film holders.....

drdrew
30-Aug-2012, 10:24
okay after some more tinkering i fount the place where the plate holder or film holder can slide in under spring tension...WHEW! now i just need how to attach my back to the camera and i may be able to actually shoot!!!!

charleymeyer
30-Aug-2012, 10:47
Hi, I sent a PM with some information on the Korona. Charley

E. von Hoegh
30-Aug-2012, 11:19
thanks for your reply. the silver clipd dont seem to hold it on, but i did find the slots at the bottom (though one is missing, so i get that part now. what is the difference between a film holder and a plate holder? sorry but i dont see the two buttons under the leather? thank you for your help i think i may be missing a section that holds the film holders.....

The buttons are clearly visible in your first and last photos.
The clips may be bent inwards from someone trying to force the back on without raising the clips.
Plateholders accept a glass plate coated with emulsion, filmholders accept standard 4x5 sheet film. Your camera may or may not accept standard filmholders.

drdrew
30-Aug-2012, 13:05
thanks all. thank you charley. i definitely have film holders not plate holders. but i thought i was buying a 4x5 and now realize i own a 5x7. im a little unsure if i am going to shoot it as a 5x7 or get a reducer....

Jim C.
30-Aug-2012, 13:38
I circled the buttons, it's a very slick method they used to hide buttons
very similar to my Century Senior.

Peter Gomena
30-Aug-2012, 22:49
Enjoy that camera, it looks like a beauty! I own an old Seneca of similar vintage, and yours has a much sturdier build. You will find it has its very own set of eccentricities, just like an old car. Enjoy the ride!

Peter Gomena

Steven Tribe
31-Aug-2012, 02:48
5x7" is a much more exciting IMO than the usual 4x5". Contact prints means you are not dependent on access to an enlarger or scanner.

I usually describe these concealed buttons as being like nipples under a bikini top on a cold day. This always seems to help indentification for some reason.

drdrew
31-Aug-2012, 09:00
now i will never forget them