PDA

View Full Version : Flea market mystery object

IanG
28-Aug-2012, 15:10
At a big flea matket yesterday I looked at a Lantern slide projector and was told there's a box of extra parts. I didn't buy the projector but did take the camera parts.

I was in a hurry with little time to look properly so just took everything not related to the projector. However there's one piece I acn't fathom out. See the attached photos. Initially at a glance I just assumed it was part of a baseboard camera. Any ideas ?

Ian

IanG
28-Aug-2012, 15:17
Another part was rather odd as well.

This is a base off a whole plate field camera with focus track and underneath it has the front off a whole plate tail-board camera srewed to it, the lens board must have a center piece missing.

Ian

IanG
28-Aug-2012, 15:21
A third part was a whole plate back off a different field camera and it'll fit a base I already have, now I just need a new front standard and back.

Ian

Jim C.
28-Aug-2012, 16:21
Best guess on the first item is that it's a retouching frame, it seems very similar in design to others I have seen
like these - http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_D9.html

Richard Rankin
28-Aug-2012, 16:37
Retouching frame was also what popped into my head first.

Tim Meisburger
28-Aug-2012, 19:57
I thought it might be a contact print frame for plates, but just a guess.

IanG
29-Aug-2012, 00:15
The solid piece won't sit flat so the question is then how could it be used as a retouching frame.

I wonde if it's a copying attachment there's dowelling pegs and a brass bolt, see the two middle pictures.

Ian

Jim Jones
29-Aug-2012, 04:49
My first thought was a retouching frame, but now am almost sure it is a copying attachment.

Cletus
29-Aug-2012, 06:57
Was there such a thing analogous to a pin register at the time? Could it be something used for contact printing with masks - ala Alaister Inglis?

C. D. Keth
29-Aug-2012, 09:09
The solid piece won't sit flat so the question is then how could it be used as a retouching frame.

I wonde if it's a copying attachment there's dowelling pegs and a brass bolt, see the two middle pictures.

Ian

Copy attachment is my bet. See the third photo. The long bolt pointing up along with the two pins would allow solid attachment to the front and of the camera bed. Having done that, it's pretty straight forward to see how it works.

IanG
29-Aug-2012, 09:31
Copy attachment is my bet. See the third photo. The long bolt pointing up along with the two pins would allow solid attachment to the front and of the camera bed. Having done that, it's pretty straight forward to see how it works.

Another thought is perhaps for enlargements with the original projector.

Ian

C. D. Keth
29-Aug-2012, 11:28
Another thought is perhaps for enlargements with the original projector.

Ian

That would certainly work for a crafty photographer. In fact, that one piece of kit would quite neatly round out an outfit to go on the road and make one's living as a one stop shop.