PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in LF - Linhof Master Technika

AB14
26-Aug-2012, 22:16
Dear All,

I have never used a LF camera. I bought an unused Linhof Master Technika. The box says Jahre 50 as well. Not sure how old it is but it looks brand new. It came with a Rodenstock Apo *Sironar N 150. I have the sheet films and holders and changing bag. I have been thinking about learning large format so I had bought a Fuji quickload last year but yesterday I learned that Fuji does not make instant 4x5 films anymore but I ordered some instant Fuji B&Ws from ebay.

I ordered a used 120 film holder for Linhof (6x9) since I want to learn the basic movements and loading sheets films seems challenging. Can I shoot using the rangefinder or do I have to focus on the ground glass first?

I also learnt that Nikkor M 300 F9 is highly regarded. Can I use it on the Master Technika without the cams?

I have been shooting 35mm film rangefinders & SLRs, DSLRs and Medium Formats. Favorite films are Tri X and Portra.

Any suggestions/advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Frank Petronio
26-Aug-2012, 22:37
First I think you may be confused in thinking that you can use Fuji Instant film in a Fuji Quickload film holder. You can not. Out of date Fuji Quickload film is available for a premium price on eBay. You can probably buy the appropriate Fuji or vintage Polaroid back to use with the Fuji Instant film for another $50 to $250 depending on patience and doing your homework on them (or you can try to cancel/return/resell it.)

Hopefully you got the proper 120 6x9 roll film holder for a 4x5 Master Technika. There are also 120 6x9 roll film holders for their 6x9 Technika cameras and they each have different sized mounts. If you are not certain, post a photo or link to what you bought and someone will confirm what it is.

Loading and unloading traditional 4x5 film holders is no great hardship and is quickly mastered. Find or improvise a darkroom or buy a Harrison Pup Tent changing tent - it will make life much easier (and cleaner) than a simple changing bag. You might as well tackle this since there are very few alternatives anymore, and shooting a 4x5 Technika with 6x9 is really only a last resort, it would quickly grow frustrating since the camera is so much slower and larger than true medium format cameras.

As with any of this, if you can locate a more experienced photographer or take a workshop, you can get a grasp of everything you need to know to get started within a couple of hours. A good book might also be helpful - or simple read the articles at the root of this website.

AB14
26-Aug-2012, 23:15
it is a Fuji Instant Holder PA-45. Sorry, it is not a quickload.

I should receive the 120 holder tomorrow. It says - Linhof Sup/rollex 6x9. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks

Brian Ellis
27-Aug-2012, 05:42
A couple of clarifications for you.

Yes, you can use the 300 Nikkor M lens with your camera. Your camera has about 15" of bellows extension, you only need 12" to focus the 300 at infinity so you have an extra 2-3" of bellows extension to play with in order to focus closer than infinity, which is plenty for almost all purposes.

You don't need cams for any lens used on a Technika unless you want to use the rangefinder. As long as you only plan to compose and focus with the ground glass, which is how most people use Technikas these days, you don't need cams. If you don't want to use the ground glass you can use the rangefinder but you do need a cam for the lens to focus and some means of composing. The main reason for using the rangefinder is to allow you to hand-hold the camera and not many people still do that.

I'd suggest jumping right in with loading holders rather than playing around with roll film. You have a camera that will give you nice big negatives, why not take advantage of it? I know that loading holders may seem daunting but believe me, it's just one of those things that takes a little practice. In short order you'll find that it's very easy. I understand the theoretical appeal of learning movements with roll film but you'll have to have the images printed to at least 8x10 to learn anything. IMHO contact prints of medium format negatives are too small to tell anything about depth of field, focus, etc.

I agree with Frank (a pleasant change - :-) about a changing bag and I'd go further and suggest avoiding the tent as well. A tent is fine when you have absolutely no other choice but I always found them to be a real PITA. In order to use sheet film and holders you only need an area that can be made totally dark for a short period of time (the length of time you need to load the holders). For years I loaded film sitting on the floor of a closet at night with the room shades pulled and a towel under the door.

Since you're just starting out I'd suggest using films other than the two you're presently using. With Kodak getting out of the film business it's anyone's guess how long those two films will be around.

A general observation - from your questions about roll film and using the rangefinder it sounds to me like you're trying to make using your large format camera as much like your medium format cameras as possible. I understand that you're learning but I'd suggest not doing that. If you're going to take advantage of the large format experience you're going to need to learn how to use the camera as a large format camera some day. It might as well be now as later.

AB14
27-Aug-2012, 10:49
Hi Brain,

Thanks for your advice.

I'll learn first with the 150 mm which I have then maybe get the 300 Nikon later. Coming from 35mm, we tend to accumulate a lot of glass :) which I want to avoid in LF. Which lens should I get for Landscape?

Yes, I'll start using the sheet films. I really didn't like using the changing bag. I was using it for loading Bulk Films. I tried loading 120 on a 620 spool in the bag but it wasn't easy so I went inside a closet at night and did it..so much easier.

Which films do you suggest. For B&W, how is Ilford HP5 Plus? I use it on 35 mm occassionally.

Thanks again.

Frank Petronio
27-Aug-2012, 10:56
Do you do your own processing? If so, simply use the larger version of what you're used to. Otherwise, Kodak TXP is the gold standard and highest quality. I wouldn't worry about it disappearing any time soon. I use a lot of Portra 400 myself, sending it to Praus in Rochester http://4photolab.com. The extra speed is very helpful.

The 150 will be a fine landscape lens. Less is more.

C. D. Keth
27-Aug-2012, 11:16
You can stay as simple as you want or get as complicated as you want, very much like shooting 35mm. Everybody has their own way but I can tell you mine as one possibility. I don't claim it's the best for anybody except myself. I shoot 4x5. I have a 90mm super angulon f8 and a 210mm symmar. I also have one other lens that is really 2 other lenses: a 150mm symmar. It's a convertible that is 150mm with both cells or you unscrew the front cell and it's a 240mm. This selection has proven to be lightweight (i could make it lighter by using an older 90mm angulon rather than the "super") and covers a lot of ground. At some point I may try a wider lens but I really don't know how much I would use it and they're expensive.

Alan Gales
27-Aug-2012, 11:26
Less is more.

It took me a several years to figure that one out. :)

AB14
27-Aug-2012, 21:37
Hi Frank,

No I do not process my own films. That's something I plan to do after my kids grow up. I'll check out the website.

Thanks for your advice.

AB14
27-Aug-2012, 21:43
I have a 90mm super angulon f8 and a 210mm symmar. I also have one other lens that is really 2 other lenses: a 150mm symmar. It's a convertible that is 150mm with both cells or you unscrew the front cell and it's a 240mm.

Hi Christopher, that is a cool setup. I read somewhere that some Nikkors could convert as well. Thanks.

Frank Petronio
27-Aug-2012, 22:17
The convertible lenses were popular in the 1970s, the long version of the two was meant only for B&W work. It's a cool idea and will work in a pinch, but having a true longer lens is almost always better.

C. D. Keth
27-Aug-2012, 22:55
Less is more, Frank. ;)

He's right. I don't shoot much color, though, so I don't worry about it.

AB14
28-Aug-2012, 01:45
The roll film holder was for Wista not for Linhof Technika. I guess I won't buy a roll film holder. Wrong description on the website.

I played with the camera for about an hour. I am not sure how to attach the right angle viewer. How do I detach the folding hood? The manual for the Technika didn't have any directions. It didn't come with the manual for the viewer.

Thank you.

Bob Salomon
28-Aug-2012, 03:08
A Wista 45 roll film holder fits a Linhof 45 camera.

The manual does have directions on mounting and removing back accessories. The folding hood and the reflex viewer mount and detach exactly the same way. So does the focusing bellows.

Unlatch the hood from the top end of the back. Swing it down. Push the bottom edge towards the side and it will depress the mounting pins and let you pull it off. Reverse the steps to mount another device.

When you buy a new Linhof viewing device, hood, reflex or focus bellows, it comes with a package of shims. These would go under the latching pin at the top of the unit to make sure that the viewing device latches tightly closed. If you mount the reflex and it seems loose then you need the shims. You probably can get them from the local Linhof service center in your country.

Brian Ellis
28-Aug-2012, 05:46
Hi Brain,

Thanks for your advice.

I'll learn first with the 150 mm which I have then maybe get the 300 Nikon later. Coming from 35mm, we tend to accumulate a lot of glass :) which I want to avoid in LF. Which lens should I get for Landscape?

Yes, I'll start using the sheet films. I really didn't like using the changing bag. I was using it for loading Bulk Films. I tried loading 120 on a 620 spool in the bag but it wasn't easy so I went inside a closet at night and did it..so much easier.

Which films do you suggest. For B&W, how is Ilford HP5 Plus? I use it on 35 mm occassionally.

Thanks again.

I used HP5+ as my standard b&w film and always liked it a lot.

"Landscape" is a pretty broad term. 150mm is generally considered to be the "normal" lens for 4x5. So unless you need a more specialized lens for one particular type of photography 150mm would be a good place to start. Or 210 or 135 if you have a tendency to go a little longer or shorter than "normal" with your smaller formats.

I know what you mean about accumulating glass with smaller formats. Fortunately for our wallets, with large format you can only carry so many lenses in shutters and lens boards with you. That tends to keep the number down for those of us who buy lenses to use rather than collect and who photograph outdoors. I don't think I ever owned more than four lenses at the same time for a 4x5 camera, typically 80mm, 150mm, 210mm, and 300mm. And the only reason I had both a 150 and a 210 was that the 150 was a closeup lens. Otherwise I would have only had three.

AB14
28-Aug-2012, 23:36
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tip. I remove the folding hood out and installed the viewfinder. I like it this way.

I have decided to return the 120 holder. I'll learn to use sheet films. However, my first attempt to shoot using Fuji instant film was a complete disaster. I am not successful in pulling the exposed sheet out using the tab. I am pretty sure it is user error haah!

Anyway, I see that a lot of forum member give serial nos. and enquire year of manufacture. So, please advise when this Master Technika 50 Jahre was made. Serial no. B551873. What about serial no. 6445418?

Thanks once again.

AB14
28-Aug-2012, 23:48
Hi Brian,

I'll order the HP5plus. I like it too. I think I'll go with a 300mm once I get the hang of it and maybe a 90 next year or so.

Thank you.

Bob Salomon
29-Aug-2012, 02:46
B551873 After 1993

6445418 1984

AB14
29-Aug-2012, 08:05
Thanks Bob

Ivan J. Eberle
29-Aug-2012, 09:18
The simple is better mantra really is a good one. The 150mm Sironar N is small and compact and a fine optic. So small that it ought to fit inside the closed-up Technika. I have a similar style of camera and this is a major criteria in choosing lenses for it.

Bob Salomon
29-Aug-2012, 09:46
The 150 Sironar N will fit on the camera closed if the lens is mounted on the 001015 recessed Linhof board. It will not close if it is on a flat board.

C. D. Keth
29-Aug-2012, 12:14
The 150 Sironar N will fit on the camera closed if the lens is mounted on the 001015 recessed Linhof board. It will not close if it is on a flat board.

Not even flipped around?

Bob Salomon
29-Aug-2012, 12:41
Never tried or saw one flipped around.

Andrew
30-Aug-2012, 14:01
I have a master technika and a sironar-n 150/5.6 on a flat board... the camera DOES close with the lens in normal orientation

when I opened the camera, the lens cap got caught by the extension rails and pulled off the lens
perhaps a different cap may have had clearance?
but no lens cap = no problem, the lens fits

AB14
1-Sep-2012, 20:25
Dear All,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I shot few Fuji instant films. I am enjoying it. I'll look forward to learning shooting sheet films.

Best regards.

Ivan J. Eberle
2-Sep-2012, 14:38
What's the biggest lens that will fit inside a closed up MT on a recessed/Comfort board?

Bob Salomon
2-Sep-2012, 16:46
Modern lens? 150mm

Frank Petronio
2-Sep-2012, 17:03
Shorter lenses, with smaller than 58mm filter threads, in Copal 0 shutters should fit, mostly, but don't go simply on my word. Mostly the common 120-135-150 Rodenstock and Schneiders will fit except for some of more exotic ones with larger front elements.

Ivan J. Eberle
6-Sep-2012, 08:04
Speaking as someone who was new to large format four years ago but into photography in a big way for 25+ years prior, the ability to deploy a camera quickly in the field while the light is changing rapidly is a huge advantage to a camera like the Technika (or an MPP, or Meridian, or a Crown/Super/Speed Graphic). A Q/R plate mounted to the camera it place on the tripod head, a lens safely stored inside a bombproof case that can be pulled out and click into an infinity stop-- these are things that allow me to shoot LF inside 30 seconds. While you don't have to always shoot will like this, it's great, great function to have when needed to get the shot and LF is all you've got with you. A well-matched rangefinder is key. Even with such a camera, there are still going to be any number of situations where the slower working method that LF forces one to adopt is often a major disadvantage and you'll miss the shot anyhow. (Which happened to me just last night as the sunset was going off and the tropical storm clouds were swirling.)
Again, for me, the ability to also use a LF camera relatively swift to set up was essential to not ditching LF altogether, say for a MF rangefinder or SLR or DSLR.