PDA

View Full Version : Where to find 8x10 multi-contrast filters?

Pawlowski6132
26-Aug-2012, 19:18
So, I need some of these large filters. Not necessarily a whole set but, Ilford #1, #2, #3 and #4 equivalent.

Where do you girls guy your filters??

Thanx in advance for your help

Joe

Bob Mann
26-Aug-2012, 19:53
Try B&H or Freestyle

jeroldharter
26-Aug-2012, 19:58
Used ones are available.

There are threads about using Rosco filters in various cc's of magenta and yellow. Those are the least expensive I think.

The hard part in practice is what o do with he filters once you get them as often there is no filterholder/tray. The lenses for 8x10 are too large for standard below the lens filters and the light sources do not have filter drawers.

I have an Aristo VCL 8100 which makes it a bit easier but the true contrast range seems limited.

Brian Ellis
27-Aug-2012, 05:50
Used ones are available.

There are threads about using Rosco filters in various cc's of magenta and yellow. Those are the least expensive I think.

The hard part in practice is what o do with he filters once you get them as often there is no filterholder/tray. The lenses for 8x10 are too large for standard below the lens filters and the light sources do not have filter drawers.

I have an Aristo VCL 8100 which makes it a bit easier but the true contrast range seems limited.

I had the Aristo VCL 4500, not the 8100. But FWIW, the late Phil Davis tested the contrast range with my 4500 while I was taking one of his workshops. The range was actually greater than could be obtained with filters though I don't recall the exact numbers. I would have expected the same from the 8100 since it's the same technology only bigger.

ic-racer
27-Aug-2012, 15:19
B&H sells 12"x12" Ilford Filters. You can also use the 6" filters under a typical 300mm lens. This picture shows an un-cut 6" filter under a 300mm lens.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21490&d=1231367991

jeroldharter
27-Aug-2012, 15:47
I had the Aristo VCL 4500, not the 8100. But FWIW, the late Phil Davis tested the contrast range with my 4500 while I was taking one of his workshops. The range was actually greater than could be obtained with filters though I don't recall the exact numbers. I would have expected the same from the 8100 since it's the same technology only bigger.

I know, but mine does not work that way. Seems to function properly but I need to develop my 8x10 film to a much higher contrast than my 4x5 film to printthe same. For 4x5 I use a Beseler Dichro 45S but I used to have the VCL4500 too. Don't know why it is so.

EdWorkman
27-Aug-2012, 15:53
Roscoe
Cheap but hard to get a frame around them- not really a problem
I use them in my 8x10 Besler above the diffusion sheet or on top of the glass carrier- just like a drawer
Per the old threads:
You won't get the semblance of time similarity that addition of red gives in "real" filters.
But I need all the light I can get thru everything at big enlargements so that' a minor point.
Besides the so-called constant exposure works only in the mid tones anyway.
Save your money for film

al olson
29-Aug-2012, 14:28
Wouldn't a Cokin system work, if your lens has filter threads. Just screw on the lens adapter, slide on the filter holder, and insert the filters. Cokin has a series each of magenta and yellow from 05 CC to 50 CC. It might be useful to slide in a graduated ND for some negatives. The holder will take three filters.