PDA

View Full Version : What did you do with your high end enlarging lenses?

Vick Ko
26-Aug-2012, 10:17
What did you do with your high end enlarging lenses? Oh, after you moved away from wet enlarging.

I bet you had a bunch of them.

Did you mount them for bellows or closeup usage?

Did you mount them with shutters for large format usage?

What else (other than sell them)?

regards
Vick

sinhof
26-Aug-2012, 10:34
I have my Apo Componon 90 with the bellow as macro and use them on 1DX. Someday can I use the lens on my Hassy. I have not moved away from wet enlarging at all.

ic-racer
26-Aug-2012, 10:41
You are asking about the future? Why would anyone move away from enlarging unless quitting photography all together :D

John Kasaian
26-Aug-2012, 10:53
I have only one high end enlarging lens---but it's for a 35mm

Leigh
26-Aug-2012, 11:25
What did you do with your high end enlarging lenses? Oh, after you moved away from wet enlarging.
Wow. What a bunch of nonsense assumptions.

I have a full set of "high-end" enlarging lenses (Schneider Apo-Componon HM).

I use them to make prints from negatives, in a wet darkroom (one side is wet).

- Leigh

Cletus
26-Aug-2012, 12:50
That sound a tad provocative. Did I misunderstand, or is the OP making the rather obtuse assumption that everyone has "moved away from wet printing?"

FYI - there are still people out there who practice and will continue to practice photography in its pure form.

Paul Bujak
26-Aug-2012, 13:29
FYI - there are still people out there who practice and will continue to practice photography in its pure form.

Oh my, yes! Photographs are made in a wet darkroom. Pictures are made the other way.

Cletus
26-Aug-2012, 13:32
Yes, couldn't agree more. "IMAGE CAPTURE" isn't quite the same as "making a photograph", is it?

Leigh
26-Aug-2012, 13:36
there are still people out there who practice and will continue to practice photography in its pure form.
Absolutely true.

Many people still practice photography, not mindless button-pushing image capture.

I think the OP is a troll.

- Leigh

Vaughn
26-Aug-2012, 13:39
To 'assume' -- to make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.

The assumptions made about the OP's choice of words border on assinine.

I made the move away from wet enlarging twenty years ago when I took up wet contact-printing (alt processes). Never owned any enlarging lenses -- always worked at the university's darkroom. But I have put several process lenses to work making images of the light reflecting off the landscape.

Vaughn

Leigh
26-Aug-2012, 13:44
Never owned any enlarging lenses...
Then you lack the basic qualification for responding to this thread.

- Leigh

DKirk
26-Aug-2012, 13:58
Unfortunately it's stuck in storage with the rest of the darkroom gear until funds permit re-building a darkroom. However I still make occasional use of a rentable or, would a pay as you print darkroom be a better description. . . Still can't beat the tactile quality, and the magic of the image appearing in the developer.
I digress, but I've always found it a little weird calling it "Image Capture", conjures up an idea of someone laying in wait with a net trying to catch a fleeting image as one would a butterfly.

Vaughn
26-Aug-2012, 14:08
Then you lack the basic qualification for responding to this thread.

- Leigh

You are also lacking, my friend, as you still make 'wet enlargements'. I did add some related info about re-purposing lenses -- in my case process lenses.

"Image capture" -- I feel the same way about the use of "shooting" as it relates to photography. But as long as we are communicating, that is the key.

Vaughn

Leigh
26-Aug-2012, 14:12
You are also lacking, my friend, as you still make 'wet enlargements'.
I also make digital "prints", using suitable equipment.

- Leigh

Vaughn
26-Aug-2012, 14:13
I also make digital "prints", using suitable equipment.

- Leigh

Excellent!

David R Munson
26-Aug-2012, 18:35
Last time I had a darkroom was in Korea, and when I left the country I sold everything to another foreigner in Seoul who wanted to get into printing, my modest but still very nice EL-Nikkors included.

Jody_S
26-Aug-2012, 21:18
I put them on a shelf with all the other lenses I'm not using just now.

E. von Hoegh
27-Aug-2012, 06:52

I bet you had a bunch of them.

Did you mount them for bellows or closeup usage?

Did you mount them with shutters for large format usage?

What else (other than sell them)?

regards
Vick

I still make wet prints with mine. I haven't got rid of any.
I've used a 135mm Elgeet Colorstigmat (which looks like it could have been made by Wollensak) for coloseups on 4x5 and 2 1/4x2 3/4.

John Kasaian
27-Aug-2012, 08:08
I have only one high end enlarging lens---but it's for a 35mm

I should add that all my other enlarging lenses are good, but modest examples---not high end at all. What did I do with them? I keep them on my enlargers, of course!

Kevin Crisp
27-Aug-2012, 08:47
I did and do use them on enlargers.

bob carnie
27-Aug-2012, 09:32
I still have a large collection of enlarger lenses and happy to report using most of them.
I did move from 50mm to 80mm for my 35mm work so probably get rid of the 50's as some time .
A couple of larger lenses that I have acquired I am retrofitting to work on and old studio 8x10 camera to do close up work.

Vaughn
27-Aug-2012, 10:10
I think I have about 50 or so enlarger lenses, ranging from 50mm to 150mm, and perhaps a few on either side of that range, that I take care of. Mostly the standard 6-element lenses, none that I think are 'Apo". Nikkors, Schneiders and Rodenstocks -- but a few other odds and ends. A little over 30 of them are on enlargers right now that are being used. Of course, this is not what the OP is asking about at all, I do not believe he was after a poll of who is still enlarging, but since that is the way this thread is unwinding, I might as well toss it in.

Peter De Smidt
27-Aug-2012, 10:21
Many enlarging lenses do work quite well as macro lenses, especially in the 3-6x magnification range when reversed. At those magnifications, focus stacking is usually required.

Drew Wiley
27-Aug-2012, 16:05
Who are you talking about anyway? I enlarge with enlarging lenses. That's what they were
made to do. I do have several nice Apo Nikkors which would make very nice 8x10 view camera lenses if they were mounted in shutter, but I already have equivalent focal length taking lenses which are more compact and convenient.

Brian Ellis
27-Aug-2012, 19:25
Sold 'em all, don't miss them a bit. The only form of darkroom work that interests me today is contact printing. Everything else I can do better printing digitally.