PDA

View Full Version : Can I do this? One lens fits all cameras?

Bill, 70's military B&W
25-Aug-2012, 09:31
I have a B&J 8x10, a Cambo 4x5, and a Linhof IV 4x5. My question is can I use the same lenses on all of them. Save $$$.
I am not talking about coverage, that is a given that if it does not cover, well then it's not going to cover. What I am referring to is can I make a lens board for the other cameras that the Linhof lens board fits into?
The Linhof board is metal so it is thin and is a little under 4" square. The others are about 6" square. B&J is wood so I am pretty sure I can do it, but the Cambo is metal and that would make it more difficult.
I'm thinking I could get a metal lens board for the Cambo and cut out the center, drill or glue a wooden centerpiece behind, and have a recess in it that would fit the Linholf lens board.
How could I protect the finish on the Linholf lens board from scratches?
Does anyone else take this approach? Any suggestions?
Bill

E. von Hoegh
25-Aug-2012, 09:33
Of course you can do this. I made a Linhof-to-Deardorff 6x6 adapter years ago, I mounted most of my lenses on Linhof boards so I can use them on both cameras, 4x5 and 8x10.

Alan Gales
25-Aug-2012, 09:57
Cambo made a Cambo to Linhof board. They show up on Ebay every so often. They fit the later Cambo and Calumet cameras.

My Tachihara takes Linhof size boards. My Sinar P takes a Sinar to Linhof board and I had Bruce Wehman make me a Wehman to Linhof board for my Wehman 8x10. All my lenses are on Linhof style boards except for my Kodak 14" Commercial Ektar which uses a huge #5 Ilex shutter.

Not only does your idea work, it just makes perfect sense.

Bill, 70's military B&W
25-Aug-2012, 12:21
Thanks, I just went to ebay and found a very substantial one for $125. Linhof to (Cambo), I bought 2. There was another one that was smaller in it's build, and I placed a bid for $50.
I plan on attaching one of these to a B&J wooden lens board. Then I'll have it covered. I wish I had known of this trick before. But live and learn. I'll be using it a lot in the future.
Now to get rid of any duplications in lenses.
Thanks again,
Bill

el french
25-Aug-2012, 19:12
Now to get rid of any duplications in lenses.

I'd recommend testing all of the lens on each camera before selling them off to see if they provide the required IQ on each camera.

Bill_1856
25-Aug-2012, 19:27
No problemo! Get a 4x5 back for the B&J, and dump the Cambo and the Linhof.

Leonard Evens
26-Aug-2012, 11:29
You can use any lens on any camera provided your lens board works for that camera. You may have to have more than one lensboard and remount the lens when changing cameras. Also, there may be problems with bellows extension. If the lens is too long for possible bellows extension, you won't be able to focus on anything. Also, if you can't compress the bellows enough, you won't be able to focus at infinity, so you may be restricted to close-ups. In the latter case, use of a special lensboard which puts the lens closer may help. Also, using a bag bellows may solve the problem.

Cletus
26-Aug-2012, 13:30
Dang! I just saw you already found a Cambo - Linhof adapter. I would have said I have a nice, like-new original Cambo one I could sell you. I'm getting ready to divest myself of the whole Cambo outfit and thought of selling this nice adapter board separately. Oh well.

Alan Gales
26-Aug-2012, 14:16
Dang! I just saw you already found a Cambo - Linhof adapter. I would have said I have a nice, like-new original Cambo one I could sell you. I'm getting ready to divest myself of the whole Cambo outfit and thought of selling this nice adapter board separately. Oh well.

Put it in the for sale section. I'm sure someone will want it. :)

Ivan J. Eberle
26-Aug-2012, 14:25
Standardizing on Linhof Technika or clone style boards makes sense because they're relatively small and compact and because adapters exist to many other brands of 4x5 and larger (not to Graflex Speed, though. Not the only choice for adaptation, though, and perhaps a bit tight for larger shutters. Too, while I had such an adapter for a Sinar Norma, it wasn't a very good fit with a Toyo clone board (there are differences on thickness of Linhof boards, not just the clones, as I understand it).

drew.saunders
26-Aug-2012, 18:02
Using an adaptor for Linhof Technika boards makes so much sense that Ebony includes one with every camera that is sized for the Sinar-sized boards, such as this one: http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam/main.SV810U.SV810UE.html

And you can see that the adaptor board is in use in that picture.

SK Grimes will make one a very nice one for you: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-board-adapters

Bill, 70's military B&W
26-Aug-2012, 19:38
Thanks everyone, I just discovered a tear in the bellows of the Linhof and am sending it back. It looks like the standard for this kind of lens versatility is the Linhof lens board.
I'm still now looking for a 4x5 field camera, looks like I should get something that accepts Linhof size boards. Any suggestions, other than the obvious?

Bill

Lachlan 717
26-Aug-2012, 20:29
Chamonix and Shen Hao generally come with Linhof-sized lens boards.

Alan Gales
26-Aug-2012, 20:50
As I mentioned earlier, Tachihara uses Linhof style boards.

Leigh
26-Aug-2012, 23:46
As I mentioned earlier, Tachihara uses Linhof style boards.
The 4x5 Tachihara does.

The 8x10 Tachihara uses its own wooden boards or 140mm square Sinar/Horseman boards.
An adapter is available from Tachihara that permits use of Technika boards on the 8x10.

- Leigh

Alan Gales
27-Aug-2012, 08:35
Thanks Leigh!

Cletus
27-Aug-2012, 11:28
Bill - I sent you a PM about a camera you might be interested in....

Jim Andrada
27-Aug-2012, 12:22
I mount most lenses on Super Graphic lens boards because I can then use some on the Graphic and I have a nice Graphic to Linhof (162mm sq) adapter and the Graphic boards are reasonably plentiful and inexpensive. Also easy to bore out. Then I made an adapter to mount the Graphic board on my Seneca.

I do have couple of lenses that I only mount on the Linhof boards directly because of size and weight but my 5 x 7 and 8 x 10 Kardans take the same board so I'm in luck.