PDA

View Full Version : Tan Linhof Super Rollex Back on Tech IV

Scott Rosenberg
26-Feb-2004, 14:51
good day...

i just made the move from medium format to large format by picking up a tech 4 and tan super rollex back. the camera is pretty intuitive, just one question there, but a few about the back. i'd really appreciate some advice on:

-on the front standard, to move it forward and backwards along the rail, only one of the spring clips is movable... i pinch them together with two fingers, but only one moves to enable the front standard to be relocated... is this normal?

-what is the 'slide/button' with the red arrow on the top & same side as the advance lever used for?

-does it matter which position the film is in and which position the take up spool is in?

-do you always give the advance lever a full pull? or do they get progressively shorter or longer as you go through the roll?

-does it matter in which orientation the film compartment sits in the frame? i noticed it could be rotated 180 degrees.

thanks so much! scott

Frank Petronio
27-Feb-2004, 06:05
Question one - the pincher only moves in on one side.

Have you figured out the front tilt yet?

David A. Goldfarb
27-Feb-2004, 07:05
I don't own this particular back, but on most backs with mechanical frame counters, you need to slide that button with the arrow before advancing to the next frame.

If you open the back with no film in it and advance the lever, you'll see that one side moves and one does not. The side that moves is the side where the takeup spool goes.

You advance the film until the lever stops. You'll figure out whether the pulls get shorter when you use it, but it's not something you need to know in advance.

Brian Ellis
27-Feb-2004, 07:14
If by "spring clips" you're referring to the left and right hand levers with black plastic tips that are used to move the front standard, both should move. You pinch them and they should come together. At least that's how my Tech V worked and I don't think the Tech IV is different in this respect. If the front standard is moving forward and backwards but only one lever moves when you pinch them then I'd guess one is permanently stuck in the open position.

Ron Gratz
27-Feb-2004, 07:14
The lever pulls do get shorter as you go through the roll. Since the take-up spool gets thicker as it winds film on, you dont need as much of a rotation to move a full frame. If you pulled the same with each frame the film spacing would increase significantly and you would get fewer frames per roll.

Ron Gratz

Bob Salomon
27-Feb-2004, 11:04
If your camera has a service issue you can contact Linhof service at 973 808-9626. They can also help you with mechanical questions about your back.

Tim Werner
27-Feb-2004, 18:00
On both my Technika IV's only one front standard release lever moves. The left lever rides along a elliptical bushing and pushes the locking slider out to the unlocked position. The right acts as a counter balance for the left lever, it is held from rotating by a set screw next to the lever. Both the left and right are connected by a central spring which provides the clamping force to lock the standard in place. You can see all this by adjusting the pallet to the fully extended position then adjust the front standard so as you can see the bottom through the opening in the pallet.

Scott Rosenberg
28-Feb-2004, 05:36
thanks everyone for all the great information!

frank... front tilt was the last of the movements i got around to figuring out, but was able to do so.

i can't overstate how impressed i am with the quality of this piece - it feels solid and tight all over... very well machined! after shooting 6x6 for many years, this week i'm off to west texas (big bend, monahans, etc.) with some ilford delta, tmax, 100VS, and velvia to shoot my first sheet films - and try to get a handle on which films will be my mainstays.

thanks again, scott