PDA

View Full Version : Fresnal (sp) lens and Crown Graphics

Don Cameron
26-Feb-2004, 06:24
I have purchased a Crown Graphic camera, and it has a fresnal (SP) lens in front of the ground glass. I don't think that it was a stanard item, and I'm wondering if it is altering the focus? If not, should it be in front or behind the standard ground glass?

www.doncameron.com

Dan Fromm
26-Feb-2004, 06:56
The Fresnel could have been a standard item, and it should be in front of the ground glass.

It is possible to put an aftermarket fresnel in a Graphic focusing panel that was made to work without one. In fact, I have an aftermarket Fresnel whose maker claimed that putting it in front of the gg wouldn't shift focus. He lied.

To check whether you're in trouble, remove ground glass and fresnel from the focusing panel. If the Fresnel was resting on nubs (these are part of the casting, stand up a little) that are a couple or three mm thick, then the frame was made to be used without a Fresnel. If the nubs aren't there or are very low, you're ok.

Cheers,

Dan

Jim Rhoades
26-Feb-2004, 07:01
The fresnel was standard issue with the graflok back. The fresnel should be between the ground glass and the lens. The grooves of the fresnel should be in contact with the frosted side of the ground glass.