PDA

View Full Version : TF-3 Fixer, Sodium Sulfite or not?

Ed Bray
24-Aug-2012, 04:19
I have the chemicals required to make a batch of TF-3 Alkaline Fixer. It states that to maximise the stain when using Staining Developers (I will be using Pyrocat HD) to reduce or eliminate the amount of Sodium Sulphite.

It fursther states that this will reduce the keeping properties of the working solution, so, by this does it mean the 1:4 working strength solution or the working stock solution that has just been made up? Therefore, do small batches need to made up (stock/working stregnth) individually on the day of use or can I make the stock up without (or a reduced amount of) the Sodium Sulphite and just make up the working strength as required on the day?

Does anyone have a good ratio of Sodium Sulphite vs Stain/keeping qualities per 1000mls

If I decided to go down the no Sodium Sulfite road, could I just make up the working strength straight on the day, such as 400mls working strength (that would be all I need for either drum or orbital processing)?

400/5 = 80 ml of stock solution
in 1000mls of Stock Solution there is 480g of Ammonium Thiosulphate and 5g Sodium Metaborate, therefore to make up 80mls Stock (400mls working strength) would be:

480/1000*80 = 38.4g Ammonium Thiosulphate
5/1000*80 = 0.4g Sodium Metaborate

Made up in 60mls hot distilled water then topped up to 400mls to make a one shot/day working strength TF-3 Fixer

Would this work?

Ed Bray
25-Aug-2012, 13:36
Well as no-one was able to offer any advice I decided to try it today, well, it seems to work okay, clearing time was about 30 seconds and I have not seen any adverse effects yet.

David Schaller
25-Aug-2012, 17:10
Ed, I use either TF-3 or TF-4 with the sodium sulfite, over and over, at working strength. I've never noticed a lack of stain with Pyrocat. Maybe I would get more stain without it, but the negs are good to go for either Silver or Pt/Pa prints. I wouldn't worry about losing stain.
Dave

Ed Bray
25-Aug-2012, 23:28
Thanks David, have you a formula for TF-4 or do you buy that already made up?

David Schaller
26-Aug-2012, 10:02
I use either the TF-4 from the Formulary, mixed to working strength with distiller water, or the TF-3 recipe from Ken Lee's website. it just depends which chemicals I have on hand. I use Pyrocat HD, in the bottles from the Formuary, almost exclusively now for all film formats, and therefore also the alkaline fixers. No problems with stain loss, or desire for more stain.
I suppose you could test it both ways, and print from both negatives, to see which you preferred. I would only do that if I were dissatisfied with my results, which I'm not.
Cheers,
Dave

Ed Bray
26-Aug-2012, 10:09
Hi Dave, I made up a litre of Stock TF-3 this afternoon with the full amount of Sodium Sulfite. I'll see hpw that goes andthen decide what I do going forward.

Thanks.