PDA

View Full Version : Paper for Salted Prints

tgtaylor
22-Aug-2012, 21:49
What are some good paper choices for making salted prints? Please specify brand, weight, and whether or not additional sizing is required.

Thanks,

Thomas

Gary Samson
23-Aug-2012, 04:44
Canson Universal Sketch Pad Uncoated Paper for Alternative Process - 11x14/100 sheet pad is available from Freestyle and will work for salted and albumen printing.

Jim Noel
23-Aug-2012, 08:05
If you want to make a salt print as near the original as possible, find some less than 20lb linen paper at the stationers. I have found no other paper which gives similar results.

BarryS
23-Aug-2012, 08:13
I've used Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140# hot press with good results. It doesn't require any additional sizing.

DarkroomDan
23-Aug-2012, 09:20
I have not yet made salted prints but a friend of mine had a show of his. The prints are simply beautiful. He used Magnani Revere Suede Finish Paper and did not need to size it. Here (http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-G-540-615) is a link to the paper at Daniel Smith. I picked up a few sheets the last time I was there. Earlier this week I placed an order with Artcraft for silver nitrate and ammonium chloride in anticipation of learning to make salted prints this Fall.

Dan

tgtaylor
23-Aug-2012, 20:01
Canson Universal Sketch Pad Uncoated Paper for Alternative Process - 11x14/100 sheet pad is available from Freestyle and will work for salted and albumen printing.

That's an interesting paper. Thanks! I'm going to try it.

I've used Fabriano Artistico Extra White 140# hot press with good results. It doesn't require any additional sizing.

I've been using this paper with good results for Vandyke and Kallitype. Unfortunately I used my last sheets last weekend BUT I have several sheets of 140-lb HP Lanaquerelle on hand which gives almost the same coloration and response as the Aristrico EW. I do have a few sheets of 140-lb and 90-lb HP Aristrico which gives a slighter browner coloration so I will try it along with the Lana this weekend to see. Thanks!

If you want to make a salt print as near the original as possible, find some less than 20lb linen paper at the stationers. I have found no other paper which gives similar results.

I've read your post on this on Apug and do plan to try a lightweight paper as well. Thanks!

I have not yet made salted prints but a friend of mine had a show of his. The prints are simply beautiful. He used Magnani Revere Suede Finish Paper and did not need to size it. Here (http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-G-540-615) is a link to the paper at Daniel Smith. I picked up a few sheets the last time I was there. Earlier this week I placed an order with Artcraft for silver nitrate and ammonium chloride in anticipation of learning to make salted prints this Fall.

Dan

That's another interesting paper on my “must try” list. I just checked and it is stocked at my local Art Blick store so I will pick-up a sheet after work tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I also have a few sheets of 90-lb Stonehenge on hand which I plan to try as well.

Thomas

Domingo A. Siliceo
30-Aug-2012, 00:34
I'm printing on Guarro Casas Basik paper, 370 g/m2, and I like very much. I've tryed too the Herschel Platine from Ruscombe Mill, but it's a bit thin for my taste.

Philippe Grunchec
30-Aug-2012, 04:04
If you understand French, have a look here:
http://disactis.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0

mdm
2-Sep-2012, 00:37
Ellie Young has written a very worthwhile book on salt printing available from alternativephotography.com
She has Bergger COT 320 at the top of her list. I have just had a go sensitising a sheet of gelatine sized Hahnmule Bamboo Mixed Media but it is fogged due to some contamination issue, probably my fault.

Domingo A. Siliceo
2-Sep-2012, 01:28
Anyway, I'm sure there are some factors beyond the paper that affect the final result. I want to mean that, given one only paper, two person will get always different results. So one should look for his best mix of elements.