PDA

View Full Version : Wista Zone VI

ryanparrish
21-Aug-2012, 20:04
Hello,

I have read all the tutorials and I have played with my LF camera and I still can't understand two things one how to load the film holders in the camera and how to focus the ground glass.

Regards
Ryan

joselsgil
21-Aug-2012, 20:09
Do a search on UTube. There is bound to be a video that shows you how to load the holder into the camera. There should be some videos on focusing your camera also.

Ryan, where do you live? There is a possibility that you can attend a large format workshop in your area that can teach you how to use your camera.

Jose

Kevin J. Kolosky
21-Aug-2012, 20:23
You want to start with the principle that you want your piece of film to end up in exactly the same place that your groundglass is when you are focusing on it. That is why you focus on it, the groundglass, so that when you place that piece of film in its holder in exactly the same place the rays of light hitting the film will be "in focus".

Now that you have that principle down, you will note that you have to sort of pull the piece that holds the groundglass away from the rest of the camera so that you can slide that film holder in there to make the piece of film inside that film holder occupy the same place that the groundglass did when focusing.

How do you focus? You first put a lens on the camera. I assume you already know that. then you AIM the lens at what you want to photograph. you place a cloth over the entire camera (BUT NOT THE LENS) so that its "dark" next to the groundglass. you then use the knobs on the camera to move the standards forwards and back WHILE LOOKING AT THE GROUNDGLASS to focus.

MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE LENS OPEN AND AT THE LOWEST NUMBER F STOP WHILE DOING THIS. AND THEN MAKE SURE AND CLOSE THE LENS AND USe THE CORRECT F STOP WHEN EXPOSING THE FILM.

Brian Ellis
22-Aug-2012, 06:22
Troll alert

Drew Bedo
22-Aug-2012, 07:52
I have had a Zone VI by Wista for many years . . .I like it.

Kevin J. Kolosky
22-Aug-2012, 09:43
Troll alert

I think people who call other people trolls are themselves a troll! Oh wait, does that make me a troll?

The point is, did anyone here know exactly what to do with a view camera the first time they had one in their hands?
Maybe a few, but I think the question was legitimate nevertheless until proven otherwise.

ryanparrish
22-Aug-2012, 10:35
Hello,

I watched a professional photographer in person operate and use a Tachiara Field Camera. I have looked on the interwebs about the LF cameras and understand that the ground glass is a focus for the camera I just do not know how to operate it on this camera. I have seen a lot of you tube videos the instructor is operating the crown speed press camera those seem to load in the side. Unless I am missing something I am just not seeing it on my Zone VI.

Thank You

Ryan

Keith Pitman
22-Aug-2012, 11:03
Do you have a lens?

E. von Hoegh
22-Aug-2012, 11:17
Hello,

I watched a professional photographer in person operate and use a Tachiara Field Camera. I have looked on the interwebs about the LF cameras and understand that the ground glass is a focus for the camera I just do not know how to operate it on this camera. I have seen a lot of you tube videos the instructor is operating the crown speed press camera those seem to load in the side. Unless I am missing something I am just not seeing it on my Zone VI.

Thank You

Ryan

Have you read the info. on the homepage of this site? It seems you are missing some very basic information.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

DennisD
22-Aug-2012, 12:28
Kevin,

You gave an accurate and fair response.

Not sure you interpreted the "troll alert" correctly.
I saw that as an invitation calling a "troll" to come forward.

Drew Bedo
23-Aug-2012, 21:03
Hello Rtyan,

The back can be removed and oriented horizontally (landscape) or virtically (portrate). When the back is properly mounted, the film holder will insert from the right (horizontal) or fro the top (virtical). Gently, but firmly, pull the frame holding the ground glass slightly away , about 1/2 inch and slide in the film holser.

any help?

Cheers

Pawlowski6132
23-Aug-2012, 21:06
Hello,

I have read all the tutorials and I have played with my LF camera and I still can't understand two things one how to load the film holders in the camera and how to focus the ground glass.

Regards
Ryan

You're kidding right?

Leigh
23-Aug-2012, 21:21
...how to focus the ground glass.
This may be part of the problem.

You don't focus the ground glass. You focus ON the ground glass. The GG itself remains stationary unless you move the camera.

With the camera open in normal configuration to take a picture, you'll see two knobs near the front of the bed, one on each side below the lens.
When you're standing behind the camera, the knob on the left locks or releases the focus adjustment; the knob on the right does the focusing.

Open the shutter preview (a lever) so an image appears on the GG. Use a darkcloth or t-shirt to shield the GG from the sun.
Turn the left knob to unlock the focus, then move the lens back and forth using the knob on the right. You'll see the image change focus.

You need a loupe to focus precisely, but you can use a strong pair of glasses or a technical magnifier as a substitute.
Adjust the focus optimally for an important feature in the image, then tighten the knob on the left to lock the adjustment.

Complete instructions for taking LF photos are provided in the references previously cited.

- Leigh

Drew Bedo
23-Aug-2012, 21:36
I'm sure that Ryan just needs to have a hands-on demo with someone. About two minutes should do it. I

Leigh
23-Aug-2012, 21:41
I'm sure that Ryan just needs to have a hands-on demo with someone. About two minutes should do it.
True. Unfortunately I can't crawl through his screen, nor he through mine. :D

- Leigh

E. von Hoegh
24-Aug-2012, 06:57
Hello,

Regards
Ryan

It doesn't look like this one has been back.
I find it difficult to comprehend how he could have "read all the tutorials" and still be mystified.

ryanparrish
24-Aug-2012, 07:21
Hello Rtyan,

The back can be removed and oriented horizontally (landscape) or virtically (portrate). When the back is properly mounted, the film holder will insert from the right (horizontal) or fro the top (virtical). Gently, but firmly, pull the frame holding the ground glass slightly away , about 1/2 inch and slide in the film holser.

any help?

Cheers

Thank You for the help do I need a small screwdriver to orient the film horizontal because the clips look like they are held in place by clips and screws. Sorry guys I didn't understand this at first glance or post sooner. I have been busy with art projects and starting art school so I have been a bit busy. I though the ground glass was like focusing on a DSLR so how I take it is the movement of the bellows is like the zoom and focusing all in one. Then the ground glass is on springs and it holds the film holder tight to the body.

Thanks For the help

Regards

Ryan

E. von Hoegh
24-Aug-2012, 07:23
Have you read the info. on the homepage of this site? It seems you are missing some very basic information.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Please read the information in this link. ^^

Bob Salomon
24-Aug-2012, 10:33
Call us at 800 735-4373 if you would like to buy a Wista instruction book it should answer a lot of your questions.

C. D. Keth
24-Aug-2012, 15:23
Ryan, where are you located? Perhaps you'll be near somebody here that can show you the ropes. It's really quite simple, it's just harder to explain than to show.

ryanparrish
25-Aug-2012, 09:54
Ryan, where are you located? Perhaps you'll be near somebody here that can show you the ropes. It's really quite simple, it's just harder to explain than to show.

Unfortunately I live in Michigan I just need some pics to see if I am on the right track of rotating my film holder other than that I think you guys got me on the right track

ryanparrish
25-Aug-2012, 09:55
You're kidding right?

I am sorry I wasn't born knowing how to operate an LF camera that is why I asked

joselsgil
25-Aug-2012, 15:49
Unfortunately I live in Michigan I just need some pics to see if I am on the right track of rotating my film holder other than that I think you guys got me on the right track

Ryan,

Attached are some pics. Hope they help.

The small clips that hold the back to the camera's back, can be slid over. If they are too tight, you can loosen them with a small screwdriver.
The focusing knobs are on the right side of the camera, as you are standing looking into the ground glass.
Use a focusing loupe or a magnifying glass to help focus the image. You gently place the loupe onto the ground glass and focus the the focusing knobs. On the left side of the camera are the locking or tightening knobs. If focusing is difficult to adjust, make sure those knobs are loose. Tighten them when you get your subject focused.

Practice focusing the camera indoors, as this way you will not need a focusing cloth getting in your way.

joselsgil
25-Aug-2012, 16:03
Ryan,

I am not sure what you mean by rotating the film holder. Do you mean loading into the camera's back?

Also, make sure you have the correct holder. A type 5 holder is what works on these cameras. The older, (rare), holders have a groove on the side and will not fit this camera. If by some weird chance you have one of these holders, that may be why you cannot load it into the camera. If you do have one of these holders, I will gladly take it off your hands to use on my old camera :)

Attached are some pics of loading the camera. My camera has a bailback handle, many of these cameras do not. It is just a slight design variation.

Sorry that the photos are out of sequence, that is just how they got loaded up.

ryanparrish
26-Aug-2012, 09:21
Ryan,

I am not sure what you mean by rotating the film holder. Do you mean loading into the camera's back?

Also, make sure you have the correct holder. A type 5 holder is what works on these cameras. The older, (rare), holders have a groove on the side and will not fit this camera. If by some weird chance you have one of these holders, that may be why you cannot load it into the camera. If you do have one of these holders, I will gladly take it off your hands to use on my old camera :)

Attached are some pics of loading the camera. My camera has a bailback handle, many of these cameras do not. It is just a slight design variation.

Sorry that the photos are out of sequence, that is just how they got loaded up.

Thank You

I am seeing what I was missing thanks for the help I owe you a beer or a coffee thanks for posting the pictures I think they should be on the LF photo site thanks a lot! I am going to get some film and go play with my camera!

Regards

Ryan

DennisD
26-Aug-2012, 10:56
JOSELSGIL,
You are a kind and thoughtful person.
Your posts and photos were well done and clearly helpful because Ryan saw what he had been "missing".

RYAN,
I hope you get real enjoyment from exploring the possibilities of large format photography now that the problem issue is resolved.

DennisD