PDA

View Full Version : Developing times - 8x10 vs 4x5 with R09

welly
20-Aug-2012, 23:55
Hi guys,

I'm going to put my first sheet of 8x10 through the trays this evening. I tend to use the timings from the Massive Dev Chart app on my iPhone for my film/developer combinations although those are stated as timings for 4x5 film. Is there any reason why these timings shouldn't work for 8x10? I'm going to put Fomapan 100 through R09.

Cheers,

Welly

Leigh
21-Aug-2012, 00:16
The development time would be the same for 4x5, 8x10, or any other sheet film size.

Make sure you use the proper amount of concentrate when mixing your working developer.
That amount is 10ml per 80 square inches of film (one 8x10 or four 4x5 etc), regardless of dilution.

MDC says to use the Rodinal times for R09, since R09 is Rodinal, renamed to avoid trademark issues.
It gives 8 to 9 minutes at 20C for Fomapan 100 in Rodinal at 1+50, which is my preferred dilution.

Recommended agitation for Rodinal in small tanks is continuous for the first minute, then slight every 30 seconds thereafter.
For trays I recommend allowing some still time between shuffles since Rodinal is a compensating developer.

The service life of working-strength developer is short. I would discard it after one batch of film, even if you plan
to do another after the first is washed and hung to dry. Mix fresh developer for the each batch.

- Leigh

welly
21-Aug-2012, 00:43
Thanks Leigh!