PDA

View Full Version : Packard shutter for old portrait lenses

Dan Dozer
20-Aug-2012, 15:47
Couple of years ago, I built a shutter box for my 8 x 10 to handle different sized lenses. Note that I have many different old portrait lenses and each is a different size. However, some of them extend in through the lens board opening interferring with the shutter itself.

I know that I'm not the first one to make something like this and won't be the last, but here is what I did for more flexibility. My front mount packard shutter handles all lenses between about 2" up to 4" in diameter. Shutter has a 4" hole size. I mounted it to a board and on the back or the board made four small threaded clamp arms that you screw in to snug up to the outside of the lens. On the side of the board near the plunger I attached a flash sinc mechanism that allows me to do indoor portrait type of work with strobes. The flash connects to the metal posts that are attached to two brass strips. When the shutter is opened and the plunger goes up, it pushes the brass strips together closing the circuit to the flash and the flash fires.

cowanw
20-Aug-2012, 16:57
Good job. Nice approach to the flash also.
I think your picture shows the shutter and lens on a Deardorff. How well does the Deardorff front tilt hold the lens in place?
Mine tends to droop, especially with the front heavy lenses on it.

Dan Dozer
20-Aug-2012, 17:33
Mine seems to be more stable than most from what I've read, however, with the bigger/heavier lenses, I do need to make sure that it's tightened down well. The lens in this photo is a 360 mm Heliar which is about the heaviest lens that I have and it seems to stay up OK.

Len Middleton
20-Aug-2012, 18:02
One potential solution for the Deardorff or others of a similar design is to construct one or two "L" slotted brackets. These would held by fasteners onto the front standard slotted vertical section to allow a second clamping mechanism, rather than trying to overtighten the wingnuts on the studs that control front tilt and rise.

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Aug-2012, 06:23
Dan, this reminds me of what I did but yours is much nicer. I like the clamp mechanism. The Flash sinc is a nice touch. I may need to update mine. Thanks for showing this. I did make a separate front mounted Packard for my 4 1/2" diameter Darlot though.

Dan Dozer
21-Aug-2012, 07:39
Hi Jim,

It seems to work very well (easy to put on and take off) and the flash trigger works well also. I'm using it for the first time tonight so we'll see how the test run goes. Its nice to finally have a single shutter that will work for all my old lenses and not have to use the "expose by removing the lens cap" method.

cowanw
21-Aug-2012, 08:48
I am not sure if this will be sealed to light behind the shutter, especially if you are using a smaller lens. Although the light would have to make a few 180's to get to the film. Anyway if you have any flare, you might need a black sock or something to seal the clamp area. Let us know. My solution was individual wooden plates bored to size for each lens with the packard in front.

Dan Dozer
21-Aug-2012, 13:52
Hi Bill,

That is the one thing that I've been thinking about also. I bought some black "scrunchies" at the local drug store (things that girls tie their hair up with) and thought I might try that.

The individual wooded plates is where I started, but the cost of all the individual packards plus the added bulk of multiple shutter units clearly wouldn't work for me.

Jim Fitzgerald
21-Aug-2012, 13:57
Dan, I have found that even though I have a space behind the lens I have no problem. I adjust mine as close to the lens as possible. Maybe the reason mine works without any issue of light coming in from the back is because I added a filter slot on the front and my lens goes in more? I don't know for sure but I have never had a problem.

DrTang
22-Aug-2012, 08:41
WOW

this looks EXACTLY like what I was messing with until I picked up a sinar shutter deal

I happened to have an old wood Kodak filter holder deal that is just like the wood bit you made..adjusting screws and all. I bolted a packard shutter I had laying around to the front - the shutter didn't close very well so I rigged rubber bands to help close it.

then I made a sync switch from a radio shack switch

thing was..I was concerned about constant 'on' when focusing..so I made a hand held push button switch / normally off - that I had to depress while squeezing the bulb for the flash to fire

it all worked pretty good until the hot glue failed

it was appropriately arcane and difficult and subject to fail and thus perfect for my shooting style - - -but the sinar shutter is pretty sweet now

oh yeah..I was worried about stray light from behind as well..so I used some black veevet cloth strips I had to wrap the whole thing in when mounted

werra
24-Aug-2012, 12:52
I made similar solution from 4x3mm thick foamboards glued together and friction mounted in front of the lens. I was worried about plywood being too heavy.

C. D. Keth
27-Aug-2012, 11:53
If you do have problems with stray light, cut a mousepad donut about 4 inches larger radius than the lens. Cut it so it fits the lens barrel tight. It will make a nice light shade/seal that will flip against the shutter.

Here's one in use:

kirkmacatangay
28-Aug-2012, 07:47
My front mounted packard shutter uses a Cokin filter holder with all the tabs cut off. Double sided tape to connect it to the Packard shutter. The Cokin filter rings go infront of the lens and slide the packard shutter in front. Good for 49mm to 77mm front diameter lens.

Kirk

Dan Dozer
28-Aug-2012, 14:29
My front mounted packard shutter uses a Cokin filter holder with all the tabs cut off. Double sided tape to connect it to the Packard shutter. The Cokin filter rings go infront of the lens and slide the packard shutter in front. Good for 49mm to 77mm front diameter lens.

Kirk

Sounds like a good idea Kirk. I've been trying to figure out how to get filters in place. Problem is that my lenses go all the way up to 4" in diameter. Was thinking on putting a couple of tabs on the front of the shutter to hold my 4 x 4 Lee filters in place.

cowanw
28-Aug-2012, 18:32
Maybe 4 rare earth magnets, one on each corner, on top of the filter?

Dan Dozer
29-Aug-2012, 07:57
Magnets! Thats a good idea and maybe I'll try that. However, need to make sure that there aren't any steel parts that move inside the shutter.

Scott --
31-Aug-2012, 10:06
I made a front-mount Packard box that uses board inserts (http://scottperryphoto.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/mounting-a-packard-shutter-externally/) as well. However, milling the adapter boards is finicky and tiresome. I'm liking the clamp setup and a scrunchie. I may be modifying my Packard this weekend.

kirkmacatangay
13-Sep-2012, 09:39
Hi Dan,

You got me thinking about how to hold some Cokin filters in front of my lenses. I have only used the Packard in studio and hadnt thought of using filters. Luckily, my set of lenses do not go over 4". I had an extra Cokin P bracket lying around so I used double-sided tape to mount it to the front of the packard. Now I can mount the yellow filter that I want to use. It clears the arm that opens the shutter and out of the way for the PC sync.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Kirk

SergeiR
13-Sep-2012, 10:31
One potential solution for the Deardorff or others of a similar design is to construct one or two "L" slotted brackets. These would held by fasteners onto the front standard slotted vertical section to allow a second clamping mechanism, rather than trying to overtighten the wingnuts on the studs that control front tilt and rise.

You wouldnt mind drawing picture/showing photo, would you? :)

seezee
31-Mar-2017, 09:37
Couple of years ago, I built a shutter box for my 8 x 10 to handle different sized lenses. Note that I have many different old portrait lenses and each is a different size. However, some of them extend in through the lens board opening interferring with the shutter itself.

I know that I'm not the first one to make something like this and won't be the last, but here is what I did for more flexibility. My front mount packard shutter handles all lenses between about 2" up to 4" in diameter. Shutter has a 4" hole size. I mounted it to a board and on the back or the board made four small threaded clamp arms that you screw in to snug up to the outside of the lens. On the side of the board near the plunger I attached a flash sinc mechanism that allows me to do indoor portrait type of work with strobes. The flash connects to the metal posts that are attached to two brass strips. When the shutter is opened and the plunger goes up, it pushes the brass strips together closing the circuit to the flash and the flash fires.

Dan, I recently had an accident with my front-mounted Packard shutter when it fell off the lens during a workshop and broke my homemade frame, so I'm considering a new design. I'd like to try your solution; do you know what the small clamps are called, or where I could buy some similar ones?