PDA

View Full Version : C-41 Developer Replenishment (Kodak Flexicolor)

spacegoose
20-Aug-2012, 11:44
I have some Kodak Flexicolor C-41 LORR / LU developer and am mixing the 10L kit into 1L replenishment solutions (from water, part a + part b + part c and more water) / 10.

It says this is a replenishment solution, so I've been adding the necessary starter as well - which goes, according to the starter bottle, something like, take 207ml water, 30ml starter, and 763ml of the above replenisher.

I have in the past used the SM Tank developer which was also water + parts a + b + c - and did not require a starter.

I'm wondering, is this how I'm supposed to be doing it with the LORR / LU?

Wondering if the replenisher could (or should) be used as developer without the starter (as the SM Tank developer chemistry), since it's mixed fresh, and I plan to use one shot?

Also, adding the starter to the replenishment solution causes me to waste 237ml of initially mixed 1000ml replenisher solution, because I'm breaking the 10L developer kit into 1L (figuring out how to get 763ml from the 10L kit would not be fun for me :)).

If not one shot, I'm wondering, would it be correct to, after each use, to get working solution, use the starter bottle recipe mentioned above, using 763ml of the current developer as replenisher? Wondering also, how long I can keep the replenisher around before creating this working solution again, or if it would just be better to mix from scratch again?

Thanks,
Bill

spacegoose
21-Aug-2012, 06:38
I'm going to try to answer my own questions ... I referred to e-mail guidance I received (when I asked this question before :)) ...

I have some Kodak Flexicolor C-41 LORR / LU developer and am mixing the 10L kit into 1L replenishment solutions (from water, part a + part b + part c and more water) / 10.

It says this is a replenishment solution, so I've been adding the necessary starter as well - which goes, according to the starter bottle, something like, take 207ml water, 30ml starter, and 763ml of the above replenisher.

I have in the past used the SM Tank developer which was also water + parts a + b + c - and did not require a starter.

I'm wondering, is this how I'm supposed to be doing it with the LORR / LU?

Yes this is how you're supposed to do it ... LORR / LU developer replenisher (water + a + b + c + water) requires starter.

Wondering if the replenisher could (or should) be used as developer without the starter (as the SM Tank developer chemistry), since it's mixed fresh, and I plan to use one shot?

No.

Also, adding the starter to the replenishment solution causes me to waste 237ml of initially mixed 1000ml replenisher solution, because I'm breaking the 10L developer kit into 1L (figuring out how to get 763ml from the 10L kit would not be fun for me :)).

If not one shot, I'm wondering, would it be correct to, after each use, to get working solution, use the starter bottle recipe mentioned above, using 763ml of the current developer as replenisher? Wondering also, how long I can keep the replenisher around before creating this working solution again, or if it would just be better to mix from scratch again?

No. The fresh replenisher is what is used to replenish the used developer (not the used developer and more starter), and there are specific amounts of fresh replenisher to be added per roll of film developed, for example, for each roll of 120 Portra 160, 25.4 mL of fresh replenisher should apparently be added, Kodak should have a document specifying these amounts, which I believe rise with film speed ...

For me, it's going to be easier to use fresh replenisher and starter each time (and waste the 237 mL of the replenisher).

However, mixed unused replenisher should last 4-6 weeks (according to the message I received),

if I wanted to go the replenishment route (e.g. if I planned to spread out developing over a few days), I could replenish from the 237 mL, etc.

Bill

IanMazursky
22-Aug-2012, 14:04
Hi Bill,
My experience is with the Kodak FlexiColor to make 25 gallons, not the LORR. But the way you mix should be the same.
First i add up the amount of chemicals, A+B+C+Starter (for a tank solution), then subtract that from 1L.
That would be all of the water you need to add, you should not end up with more then 1L.
What i do is add a little less then half of the total water first, then A+B+C and Starter (mix thoroughly in between).
Then bring the total volume to 1L and mix. I also use a little water to wash the graduate and add that, that’s why i use less then half the water to start with. You shouldn’t mix the components together without some water in the graduate first.
Note for single shot, you should be mixing a tank solution and not a replenisher solution. I prefer just making a tank solution as needed, making both is time consuming and you also have to store it.
Kodak (kprotraditional@kodak.com) should be able to give you the correct dilutions for making a tank solution directly from concentrates.

On a side note, Kodak does have a replenishment table in the Z-131 manuals (http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/business/retailPhoto/techInfo/zManuals/z131.jhtml). I believe its in #2 and #3. The tables are old from 2003, i would contact Kodak if you plan on replenishing. Hopefully they have an updated list.

Depending on how you develop, rotary tube, hand tank, tray...will impact if you can use the developer afterwards.
I use a Jobo ATL 2300 rotary tube, it mixes in to much air to make the developer re-useable so i do everything as a single shot.
I spoke with Kodak and they highly recommended that rotary tube be single shot only. Honestly that’s a lot safer if you don't have hydrometers, ph meter....while i do have all of that its still easier to do single shot.

I can usually get about 3-4 weeks after mixing in my Jobo 1L containers. But i usually dump after 2 weeks if i have any left to be safe.
The cost per L is small at the 25 gallon end so its not worth the potential problems for me.
Kodaks 4-6 weeks is in a tightly closed air free bottle (probably accordian bottles). The jobo bottles aren’t tight or air free so its safer to dump.

One last thing when you mix the A, B and C, be very careful of cross contamination.
Don't mix up the order of them or use the same graduate for each one. If you over pour and then put the excess back into the concentrate container, you can contaminate the whole thing.
To be safe, i always decant the big jugs and cubes from Kodak into 1L HDPE wide mouth bottles. It makes mixing so much easier and not having to lug around or trying to pour from a cube is a real plus!