PDA

View Full Version : Tripod combo, bags and storage

Professional
20-Aug-2012, 02:13
Hi again,

Simply i want to ask hat tripod and head combo recommendations you can tell me? Give me more options to see if i have one or if i have to look at something else.

Also what bags i should look at? I have many bags but they are filled or full with digital cameras and MF cameras, so i don't know if i should buy another same bags for LF or there are some other type of bags for LF.

And one last question for now: If i shoot sheets and i don't want to process/develop immediately after exposing, how can i store/save those sheets until the time of developing? I don't think i can keep the sheets inside the holders and then store the holders in the fridge, if there is a way please can you tell me? I don't have any empty box yet and i can't buy some here, online buying may cost me and also will take time to arrive to my country, so i hope i can find a way to save those sheets safe until i decide to develop them.

Brian Ellis
20-Aug-2012, 06:56
To get any meaningful information about tripod, head, carrying bag or backpack, etc. you'll have to provide more information - e.g. what camera are you using (4x5, 8x10, etc.), how many lenses do you typically carry, etc.

You don't have to store exposed film in a refrigerator, assuming you're not talking about times measured in years or storing in really bad conditions. I just keep exposed film in the holders until I'm ready to process the film, which for me was usually within a month or so.

Professional
20-Aug-2012, 16:42
To get any meaningful information about tripod, head, carrying bag or backpack, etc. you'll have to provide more information - e.g. what camera are you using (4x5, 8x10, etc.), how many lenses do you typically carry, etc.

You don't have to store exposed film in a refrigerator, assuming you're not talking about times measured in years or storing in really bad conditions. I just keep exposed film in the holders until I'm ready to process the film, which for me was usually within a month or so.

OK, i was very sure someone will come to ask for more details or information about my gear.

For now i have only 3 LFs and 2 lenses, and those will be increased in the future sooner or later, i have the following:

Shen Hao HZX45 AII
Speed Graphic Pacemaker 4x5
Crown Graphic [?] 4x5

Rodenstock APO Sironar-N 150mm f/5.6
Wollensack 162mm

In fact i want a bag for one or 2 LF, even if i buy another LF bodies i will not carry more than 2 if i will take two, mostly it will be 1 body with 2-3 lenses when i will add more.

Well, about keeping the film in the holders, doesn't that affect it? I mean the heat or weather condition? I live in very hot country, and my room temp in the summer these days is hot during day time and a bit warm night time, i turn on the A/C time to time, but i am not sure if that will have an effect on the film even inside holders.

Bill_1856
20-Aug-2012, 19:06
(Used) Leitz Tiltall tripod, Domke F2 bag(s). If your room temperature isn't too hot for humans, then you can certainly leave the film in the holders for a few weeks or even months.

Alan Gales
21-Aug-2012, 07:14
Like Brian says, you need to provide us with more information.

For example, I use a wooden Ries J 100 with double tilt head. I transport my camera in a cordura tool bag with a telescoping handle.

You may like carbon fiber, a ball head and a backpack so my information would be useless to you. :)

Professional
21-Aug-2012, 07:39
Well, here are my information to help for better answers:

Gear i have:

Tripod + Head:

Gitzo series 5 [GT5540XL] and series 3 [GT3541XL] in addition to series 2 and 1. I have RRS BH-55 ballhead and also Markins Q3T, both with RRS clamps, they are great for my 35mm DLSR and MF, but sometimes i have hard time to lock for different axis, so that i was looking for another head that i can move on each axis individually rather than a ballhead, and for LF i prefer that over the ballhead by miles.

Bag:

I have different bags, some are great for LF, but now all are filled with gear of digital and film 35mm/MF, so before i go to buy another one i asked here to see if there is a specific one that can be better for LF over another bag brands for 35mm.

Lowepro, ThinkTank, Kata, and 2 3rd party bags that i kept for old gear.

Camera body + Lens:

I posted my camera bodies with lenses i already have above, and i said i may buy more lenses, even i may buy one more 4x5 lightweight body and i don't think i will go with 5x7 or 8x10 any soon, later i will worry for those larger size format than 4x5.

Alan Gales
21-Aug-2012, 11:02
Since you own Gitzo tripods, how about a Gitzo pan and tilt head?

PhotoBackpacker makes some nice soft cases that you can use for storage and then velcro together in a back pack. If you want something cheap you can always use a soft side vinyl cooler.

Professional
21-Aug-2012, 14:41
Since you own Gitzo tripods, how about a Gitzo pan and tilt head?

PhotoBackpacker makes some nice soft cases that you can use for storage and then velcro together in a back pack. If you want something cheap you can always use a soft side vinyl cooler.

In fact i was thinking a lot about Gitzo head[pan/tilt], but first there are many models i saw from one website to order, and second they are expensive and i don't know if they are worth the price or there are another alternative better even more expensive or cheaper choice closer performance, i don't throw money until i read and check out many choices and then decide later. Manfrotto has pan/tilt heads that are less expensive and good recommendations, but are those same class of Gitzo heads?

About the bag, don't know if you advise to go with soft case or hard case? backpacker or rolling and so on?

Alan Gales
21-Aug-2012, 15:27
I once had a Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripod/head combination. They make fine products.

I would prefer a Gitzo especially since you have Gitzo tripods. Watch Ebay and pick up a used one at a fair price. If you then decide you don't like it you can always sell it and get all or most of your money back. I buy almost all my photographic gear used.

As far as a bag goes, hard or soft each have their advantages and disadvantages. I use a Cordura tool bag from the hardware store. It has wheels and a telescoping handle. I use this because it was cheap, it works for me and I have a bad back and can't get along with a backpack.

Professional
21-Aug-2012, 15:37
I once had a Bogen/Manfrotto aluminum tripod/head combination. They make fine products.

I would prefer a Gitzo especially since you have Gitzo tripods. Watch Ebay and pick up a used one at a fair price. If you then decide you don't like it you can always sell it and get all or most of your money back. I buy almost all my photographic gear used.

As far as a bag goes, hard or soft each have their advantages and disadvantages. I use a Cordura tool bag from the hardware store. It has wheels and a telescoping handle. I use this because it was cheap, it works for me and I have a bad back and can't get along with a backpack.

Ok, good idea.

I will go to market sooner or later to check out some bags and see if i can find something that can suit me, the head is not my top priority now and no rush, but the bag is necessary as i want to get ready to go out to shoot and my LF cameras are separated here and there without lens and that will not save my time, so better to have them all or most in one place or one bag.

I will appreciate any help/recommendations/opinions here, they are valuable and i will keep my eyes open and read more and follow this thread, thanks all.