PDA

View Full Version : What to use to shoot current (3x4) fuji instant film in 4x5

Tim Meisburger
19-Aug-2012, 21:13
Probably this information is somewhere on the site, but I cannot find it. Is there a holder for 4x5 that uses the currently available 3x4 fuji instant film?

vinny
19-Aug-2012, 21:21
Yes it is.
Fuji pa-145 or polaroid 405. Those are your only options for that film size.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?92764-4x5-Holder-for-Fuji-FP-100c-or-FP-3000B&highlight=Fuji+instant+film

Tim Meisburger
19-Aug-2012, 21:45
Thanks Vinny. Just what I was looking for. Don't know why, but I can seldom find what I'm looking for using the forum search function.

Best, Tim

Frank Petronio
19-Aug-2012, 21:51
Some cameras will not work with these backs though, or you can use them in one orientation. Some center-tilt monorails, some folders whose bases stick out and prohibit you from pulling the darkslide out of the bottom of the camera.

I can slip mine under the ground glass but it usually is better to remove the GG and use the Graflock back sliders to hold the 405 in place. On my Sinar I just take an extra back assembly and semi-permanently attach it to the 405 and substitute that - much easier.

john biskupski
19-Aug-2012, 23:57
Following on from what Frank says, some cameras backs do not open wide enough to house these thick film holders so do check first before buying. My Horseman 45FA is one such camera, I bust the spring arms trying to squeeze the PA-145 back in.

Tim Meisburger
20-Aug-2012, 01:54
Okay, that's good information. My normal 4x5 is an Ikeda Anba (I'm buying myself a monorail for Christmas) with spring back, but I have Crown Graphic with the Graflock back so could use that. I looked online for the back and it seems that some sell for around $100, but others are bidding up to 150 or 200! Must be the hipster craze...

Fotoguy20d
20-Aug-2012, 04:09
The sliders on my RB Super D wouldn't go over the edges of the PA-145. I haven't tried with my Polaroid 405 and I haven't tried with the sliders on another camera. I've used both backs with a Pacemaker Speed Graphic, and Toyo 45AX with no issues.

Both holders have worked fine for me. The Polaroid seems more solidly built but the dark slide on it is very thin and seems fragile (and is hard to pull on mine). The slide on the Fuji back is thin sheet metal and slides easily.

Dan

rdenney
20-Aug-2012, 05:37
The older versions of the Polaroid 405 will not work in Sinar F and P cameras, because a curved surface on the edge at the film opening rests on the frame and prevents the back from seating. I have one that does not work, and someday (when I run out of 4x5 Fujiroid) will trim that part away to make it work. The newer-style 405 and the Fuji PA-145 were made with a different shape and fit fine.

Rick "since we are taking this opportunity to identify known incompatibilities" Denney

ic-racer
20-Aug-2012, 17:03
Following on from what Frank says, some cameras backs do not open wide enough to house these thick film holders so do check first before buying. My Horseman 45FA is one such camera, I bust the spring arms trying to squeeze the PA-145 back in.

How did you get your FA back fixed? I bought another back, then made a new arm, so I have 2 backs now. I but could not find a new replacement arm. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?86549-Horseman-FA-Back-Repair

john biskupski
21-Aug-2012, 00:26
How did you get your FA back fixed? I bought another back, then made a new arm, so I have 2 backs now. I but could not find a new replacement arm. http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?86549-Horseman-FA-Back-Repair

I got lucky dealing with Mr Cad in London, Alex Faulks who runs it knew members of the Komamura family, and he got me replacement bail arms for free sent from Japan. You could try to enquire from www.komamura.co.