PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Type 55 info request

wjmva
17-Aug-2012, 15:38
I sold my 545 holder.

I found three unopened boxes Type 55 in packets at a garage sale.
The expiration date is Jan 1974.

How stupid would I have to be to buy another 545 and try this stuff out?

jcoldslabs
17-Aug-2012, 16:48
I have a box of type 55 that expired in 1981 that still works. Sometimes the reagent doesn't cover fully, but it's still fun to play with. 545 holders are dirt cheap these days. Give it a shot!

Jonathan

Vaughn
17-Aug-2012, 16:55
Might just be able to borrow one from a fellow Portlander, too.

wjmva
17-Aug-2012, 17:34

Thanks to all

I am going to give it a try.

BrianShaw
17-Aug-2012, 18:40
Some of the greatest learning has come from experimentation and trying what everyone else may say won't work. Give it a try, but don't spend money that you need to feed your family and put a roof over their heads!

Bill Koechling
17-Aug-2012, 18:49
You may know this but a group has been in the process of developing and finding funding for a new version of Polaroid Type 55 called "New55." Many here may have heard about this but for those that haven't here's their current site (http://new55project.blogspot.com/). It looks promising. Hang onto your 545 holders folks...

jcoldslabs
17-Aug-2012, 21:13

I do have a spare 545 holder to lend, if anyone's asking...

Jonathan

nickrapak
21-Aug-2012, 09:21
I have found that the "coater" B&W films have an incredibly long shelf life. I've shot 107 from the 1971 that still worked, although the print itself was a bit mottled, and the dveloper tended to stick to it. However, the negative side seemed to develop without problems, although it's hard to tell with the paper negative. I would personally try to expose and develop for the negative only and see what comes out.

Edit: If the developer is dried up, you could always try to develop the negative in standard developer. I've heard that using the times for Panatomic-X is a good starting point.