PDA

View Full Version : Packard shutter question

Vincent Pidone
17-Aug-2012, 10:08
Is this what I should expect from a Packard shutter on time/bulb?

The picture is from Packard's web site.

I contacted Reno to see if this is correct operation.

He said that he repairs them, so doesn't give advice.

I figure I should find out if it's working as intended before I pay to be told it was OK to start out with.

I'm hoping to be able to get time/bulb to give me the full (in this case 3 1/2") round opening that the shutter looks like ti could do.

The shutter is a #8. (two pistons)

I've searched, but found no answer to this question.

Short version: Is the pie wedge shaped opening what I should expect from a Packard shutter, or can I get it to open up all the way round?

E. von Hoegh
17-Aug-2012, 10:12
The entire circular opening should be uncovered.

Anyone who claims to repair things, but who will not give advice, is to be avoided as you would avoid pasteurella pestis.

lenser
17-Aug-2012, 10:21
When the plunger is at full extension, the blades will be open completely to reveal the full circle. Very simple design and very simple operation.

Vincent Pidone
17-Aug-2012, 12:20
Thanks, that's about all I need to know.

I think there are a couple of sites with info on cleaning these.

I guess it's just sticky.

Tracy Storer
17-Aug-2012, 12:56
I guess Reno expected you to know the basic facts, I mean, Packard shutters HAVE been around a while. He is good to do business with, but does't always have saintly patience. (especially where finicky #8s are concerned.)

Steve Barber
18-Aug-2012, 08:55
I guess Reno expected you to know the basic facts, I mean, Packard shutters HAVE been around a while. He is good to do business with, but does't always have saintly patience. (especially where finicky #8s are concerned.)

Why beat around the bush about it? When he says he repairs them and does not give advice, he means that he can spend his time selling new ones or repairing old ones, for which he gets paid, or he can spend his time educating people on how to determine what is wrong with their old shutter and how they can try and fix it (if that is possible) for which they will not pay anything and he runs the risk of their dissatisfaction with the results of their unskilled effort (for which they paid him exactly what it was worth).

Vincent Pidone
19-Aug-2012, 06:20
I asked him the same question that I posted here:

Is the pie shaped opening correct operation?

I did not think that I was asking advice.

Is the thing broken or not?

What I was trying to get at was: if the shutter IS operating properly, it doesn't do what I want.

If it IS NOT operating properly, I need to think about my options.

numnutz
19-Aug-2012, 09:01
Shutter not working correctly, opening should be circular.

Try carefully manipulating the cylinder insert on the rhs of your picture up and down - the problem could be a sticky piston or a leak in the bulb or tubing you actuate the shutter with.

If your not sure of the condition don't purchase it. Buyer beware.

Lots of these shutters have been bodged or poorly repaired then offered for sale.

Hope this helps

nn :)