PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify Negative Marks - Condensation/Developing?

timparkin
17-Aug-2012, 09:06
I've developed my first batch of films - three Fuji Acros Quickload exposed a year ago and three Delta 100 exposed last week.

The Fuji Acros was stored in a fridge for the intervening years, sitting on a shelf in the door - no direct moisture contact.

I developed them in a combiplan - D76 1+3 for 19 mins, 3 min stop, five min fix, 10 min wash

When I removed them, the 'top' part of the combiplan holder (http://gbl.bz/N4IRCi) wasn't covering all six sheets.

The Delta 100 and one of the Fuji Acros looked fine but the other Acros had cloudy marks in the sky as follows

http://static.timparkin.co.uk/static/tmp/quarry-photographers-place.jpg

Now I'm not sure what these could be so I am asking for a little help. My current thinking is.

1) Condensation/Rain - the day when the image was took was very damp but not cold, the shot was at the end of a 2 hour shoot and rain my have got onto the quickload - although probably not much as I would have noticed.

2) Condensation from fridge - I took the film out of the fridge and it was probably about 20 minutes until I started developing

3) Film touching each other - doesn't seem like it's this but I did notice when I opened the combiplan that two sheets were touching at the top, although they were definitely in separate slots.

4) Higgs Bosons... - I did have a my lens hood attached which has a couple of magnets in it so it may have bent space time slightly... What this does to Fuji Acros I don't know

Any help appreciated..

Brian C. Miller
17-Aug-2012, 09:50
#4: Higgs Boson particle: No, you have to have collisions for this to show up. Get one of those cymbal-banging monkey toys, and then replace the cymbals with super-conducting magnets. Wind up, let go, collect government funding.

#3: Sheets touched during development, and did so intermittently. The big indicator there is the presence of three blob-streaks, above the mottling.

#2 and #1: No. There would have to be so much condensation that it would be running off the film.

timparkin
17-Aug-2012, 10:18
#3: Sheets touched during development, and did so intermittently. The big indicator there is the presence of three blob-streaks, above the mottling.

Yes - looking at it further I think you are right. The mottling may have even been caused by the film sitting out of the developer because the top holder wasn't covering it. The marks could be just lack of development because it wasn't actually in the developer, the pattern caused by surface tension effects on the thin film of developer.

Any other opinions?

Tim

Colin Graham
17-Aug-2012, 10:26
I've gotten similar marks when the film wasn't completely submerged in the developer during development using minimal agitation/daylight tanks. The top of the sheets had this sort of high-water mark froth/bubble pattern from the infrequent agitation. I've never used a combiplan though, so not sure if the artifacts correspond on your example with the way they are loaded.

timparkin
17-Aug-2012, 10:30
I've gotten similar marks when the film wasn't completely submerged in the developer during development using minimal agitation/daylight tanks. The top of the sheets had this sort of high-water mark froth/bubble pattern from the infrequent agitation. I've never used a combiplan though, so not sure if the artifacts correspond on your example with the way they are loaded.

They do indeed... just what I needed to know. Even the mark at the top corresponds to the clip. Problem solved I think..

Many thanks Colin/Brian!!

Tim

Kevin Crisp
17-Aug-2012, 10:48
Looks like classic uneven development to me. If the film is getting splashed on agitation and then the developer is draining off that would do it.