PDA

View Full Version : Old classic non-coated lenses don't need Multi-Coated filters?

renes
17-Aug-2012, 08:25
When you shot landscape with your classic vintage non-coated lenses (Dagor, Protar VII, RR, etc.) and want to use filters, do you bother about puting on them MC or Single coated filters? If you prefer no-coating lenses why put MC filters?

BrianShaw
17-Aug-2012, 08:33
I'm sure a lens/filter expert wil provide an authoritative and scientific response, but I think these are two independent issues. I use coated filters on all lenses, regardless of their age or design, thinking that the transmission between the filter and lens will be maximized. Loss due to reflection within the lens itself is what it is... and I don't think is affected by the filter at all.

Interestingly, I've never had much of a problem (that I've noticed) when I do use uncoated filters as long as I'm using a relatively efficient lens shade/hood.

Brian C. Miller
17-Aug-2012, 08:44
How many lenses are there which are non-coated and can accept screw-on filters?

I've seen a few comparisons on the web about coated filters vs non-coated filters. The big equalizer is a lens hood, or in LF, a compenium. Once all the extraneous light is eliminated, the performance of non-coated optics improves remarkably.

Mark Sampson
17-Aug-2012, 08:56
How much flare do you want to add to your photo? An uncoated filter will add more flare than a coated/multicoated one. I think, as above, a lens hood/shade would be essential outdoors with any uncoated lens, and a good idea with any lens.

E. von Hoegh
17-Aug-2012, 09:26
When you shot landscape with your classic vintage non-coated lenses (Dagor, Protar VII, RR, etc.) and want to use filters, do you bother about puting on them MC or Single coated filters? If you prefer no-coating lenses why put MC filters?

MC filters. Always. I want the filter to do what it is there for, without adding any other artefacts. I also use a compendium with my old lenses.

E. von Hoegh
17-Aug-2012, 09:44
How many lenses are there which are non-coated and can accept screw-on filters?

All of mine. I made adapters to screw into whatever existing threads in the front cell and accept the closest size metric filter. I had to use two different lathes to make some of them.

Two23
17-Aug-2012, 20:23
I use multicoated filters whenever possible. The difference is noticeable.

Kent in SD

John Kasaian
17-Aug-2012, 21:31
Unless they are threaded or accept slip on adapters, my LF lenses get Lee Polyesters (sounds sort of like a 1970's Leisure suit, don't it?) I just don't worry too much about filters---I'm more concerned about having a decent shade for those old lenses (usually I employ a hat or dark slide) and so far no regrets, either.

renes
18-Aug-2012, 09:14
There was already similar question:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?91023-MultiCoated-Filters-on-Uncoated-Lenses

E. von Hoegh
18-Aug-2012, 10:00
There was already similar question:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?91023-MultiCoated-Filters-on-Uncoated-Lenses

The question in this thread was "will using a modern multicoated filter improve (modernise) the performance of uncoated lenses?". It won't.

C. D. Keth
21-Aug-2012, 21:48
If you just flag your lens to kill flare, it's a non-issue 95% of the time. Keep all light off the front element of filter that isn't involved in creating the image and you'll notice consistently better contrast.

E. von Hoegh
22-Aug-2012, 06:41
If you just flag your lens to kill flare, it's a non-issue 95% of the time. Keep all light off the front element of filter that isn't involved in creating the image and you'll notice consistently better contrast.

And this advise holds true for even the most up-to-date modern multicoated lenses.

BrianShaw
22-Aug-2012, 06:50
... and probably the next-gen lenses too.

E. von Hoegh
22-Aug-2012, 06:57
I bet it will still be true in the year 2525....

C. D. Keth
23-Aug-2012, 00:19
I bet it will still be true in the year 2525....

Sure will. Optical physics hasn't changed much over the years. ;)

E. von Hoegh
23-Aug-2012, 06:38
Sure will. Optical physics hasn't changed much over the years. ;)

Nor is it likely to change.

seawolf66
24-Aug-2012, 19:40
Did they not use yellow filters for B&W back then ??

E. von Hoegh
25-Aug-2012, 07:23
Did they not use yellow filters for B&W back then ??

The yellow filters are to give a more realistic sky/clouds rendering. They've been using them since the late 1800s. And no they weren't coated, nothing was.

BrianShaw
25-Aug-2012, 08:43
Did they not use lens hoods back then?

E. von Hoegh
25-Aug-2012, 08:45
Did they not use lens hoods back then?

Just as today, some did, many didn't.

BrianShaw
25-Aug-2012, 08:50
Since you are back in that era, you should educate them on the virtues of a lens hood.

E. von Hoegh
25-Aug-2012, 09:03
Since you are back in that era, you should educate them on the virtues of a lens hood.

I'm not back in that era any more.

Actually, I didn't die in 1915. Paul Rudolph had me kidnapped and held incommunicado. He thought he could force me to design more lenses for Zeiss, of course I refused. After Zeiss added Goerz to the Zeiss-Ikon combine in 1926, I escaped and worked as a stoker and engine tender in the municipal powerplant at Bad Kreuznach. These years were very difficult, what with the Weimar mess, the rise of those verfluchte nazis, and ultimately WWII. At the end of the war,I was living in the rail tunnel through the Erpeler Ley (across the Rhine at Remagen), tending mushrooms. I came to this country in 1960. I have no explanation for my extreme longevity; in fact, I've barely aged at all since 1915. Perhaps it's the side effects of the will-breaking drugs Rudolph and his cronies tried to use on me.