PDA

View Full Version : moving Sinaron Digital lenses from DB boards to Copal shutters.

mikec
17-Aug-2012, 03:15
Hi,
I have a couple of Sinaron digital lenses in Sinar DB boards that I would like to be able to use on an Arca Swiss 6x9 so I need to move them to shutters. However, they don't fit directly to Copal shutters as the rear elements would drive through the shutter blades if screwed in. I know that Messrs SKGrimes could fit me out with correct spacers, but that requires exporting/importing from France ( and so possible taxes ) so I ask if anyone here has already done this, or knows of a firm in the EU that would do the same?
Thanks

Len Middleton
17-Aug-2012, 13:58
I do not know either the Sinar or Arca Swiss camera systems, but I wonder if it might be easier and less expensive to find a way of mounting the Sinar Copal shutter system onto the Arca Swiss when it is required...

mikec
17-Aug-2012, 22:33
The F-Line 6x9 front standard only takes 110 square boards, so I would need to get a 4x5 front standard and a couple of rolls of gaffer tape to adapt my Copal. I have a spare, but doing it would sort of negate the advantage of the lighter format ;). I'll see if I can pull one of the DB boards apart to see if a DIY solution is possible. It depends on whether Sinar designed the board around existing Copal 0/1 dimensions or went to a completely propriety design for precision reasons or market protection.

Sevo
18-Aug-2012, 00:56
All the Sinaron digital lenses I've had were sold both in DB mount and shutter, and seemed to share the same cells. The Sinar lists I have list standard shutter sizes (0/1/3) for most of them, but a few have a "special" attribute to the shutter size - these will presumably be different in some way or other.

Ken Lee
18-Aug-2012, 03:38
Why not ask Sinar ?

Headquarters
Sinar Photography AG
Farbhofstrasse 21
CH-8048 Zürich

Phone: +41 (0) 44 217 80 30
Fax: +41 (0) 44 217 80 50
E-Mail: contact@sinar.ch

France
Le Grand Format
54, boulevard beaumarchais
75011 Paris

Telefon: (+33) 1 40 21 30 40
Fax: (+33) 1 40 21 30 43
E-Mail: legrandformat@yahoo.fr
Webseite: www.legrandformat.com

mikec
18-Aug-2012, 05:45
All the Sinaron digital lenses I've had were sold both in DB mount and shutter, and seemed to share the same cells. The Sinar lists I have list standard shutter sizes (0/1/3) for most of them, but a few have a "special" attribute to the shutter size - these will presumably be different in some way or other.

I saw a doc on the sinar.ch pages giving that info, but it seems that it does not concord with my lenses (maybe older versions). I have a 60mm and 135mm. Both of these DB are shown as shutter size 0, whereas the cells for the ones I have are 29,5mm front thread (copal/compur size 0) and 36mm rear thread (copal/compur size 1 rear). Hybrids!!! That Has to be market protection. The rear elements in both are too long to be able to go into a #1 without touching the diaphragm. They have spacer tubes between them and the diaphragm housing that look to screw into a smaller thread (size 0?) but I am unable to verify that as they did not yield to the wrench. Sinar do a conversion to shutters, but the cost is prohibitive, around $1400 plus shipping/taxes. I'll contact SKGrimes for a quote if no other solution surfaces.

Ken Lee
18-Aug-2012, 06:00
Another person to consult is George Brown. He has converted shutter-mounted lenses into Sinar DB boards for me, and also CLA'd my Sinar P. I will send you his email via PM.

mikec
18-Aug-2012, 08:04
Thanks for your input guys, Much appreciated. I will update here with progress.