PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 72mm XL and filters

AnselAdamsX
15-Aug-2012, 16:24
I just received this lens and I am wondering can I use 95mm black and white filters without vignetting? I have some slim heliopan filters and one thick B+W filter in that size. I noticed the center filter is 95mm-112mm.

Bob Salomon
15-Aug-2012, 16:45
Not if you will use the center filter. The second filter must go on the front of the CF.

AnselAdamsX
15-Aug-2012, 16:53
I don't plan on getting the center filter just yet. I was thinking without it at all for now.

polyglot
15-Aug-2012, 17:38
I thought the centre filter went on the rear, no? Not that I've ever used one.

Lachlan 717
15-Aug-2012, 18:05
Not if you will use the center filter. The second filter must go on the front of the CF.

Unfortunately, Bob, I must strongly disagree with you on this one.

I use this lens with a polarising filter mounted behind the CF on a 6x17cm camera with absolutely no vignetting.

As for the OP's question, you will be fine to use a filter on the front (95mm) thread if you are going to use this lens on a 4x5.

Ed Richards
15-Aug-2012, 18:59
Depends on how much you shift the lens. Just give it a try. I use Lee filters and their special adapter for this lens. I only use the CF for interiors so I do not need additional filters.

Bob Salomon
16-Aug-2012, 02:16
Any one is entitled to doing it wrong.

With a lens that wide when you shoot open sky across the scene you can also get banding from the naturally polarized sky sections anyway.

rdenney
16-Aug-2012, 07:02
Bob, your comment seems uncharitable to me. There is no right and wrong, there is only appropriate and inappropriate.

A 72 is short on 4x5 but not that short. After all, people use 47mm lenses on 4x5.

The question about the filter is strictly a matter of whether the filter will occlude the edges of coverage enough to cause a problem. Stacking a filter behind the center filter may occlude the corners slightly, but maybe not enough to cause a problem in any given situation. Sight through the corner cutouts--if you see the filter frame instead of the scene in the exit pupil (at taking aperture) then it's impinging on the needed coverage.

The center filter is designed to avoid reducing the coverage when used with a filter mounted to its larger front thread. But one may not need all that coverage at the same time as using any particular filter.

Rick "who has, on occasion, used polarizers with very short lenses without undesired effects" Denney

Bob Salomon
16-Aug-2012, 07:37
Rick,

The OP can do it any way he likes. If he is satisfied with the results doing it the way he wants then fine. But a critical shooter or shooter's customer may not be so happy with the result. What ever floats your boat.

rdenney
16-Aug-2012, 09:10
Rick,

The OP can do it any way he likes. If he is satisfied with the results doing it the way he wants then fine. But a critical shooter or shooter's customer may not be so happy with the result. What ever floats your boat.

Bob, what other effects of stacking a filter behind the center filter might there be other than a reduction in coverage? If that is not at issue for a given shot, then how is a critical photographer or his customer likely to know?

I'm asking because I would like to know the answer.

Rick "preferring facts" Denney

Bob Salomon
16-Aug-2012, 09:50
It reduces the effect of the center filter.

rdenney
16-Aug-2012, 12:57
It reduces the effect of the center filter.

Thanks. Is that because it spaces it out farther from the lens?

Rick "appreciating the why" Denney

Bob Salomon
16-Aug-2012, 13:24
Correct. And the lens must be stopped down at least two stops for a CF to have an effect on the fall off. Wide open or one stop down and a CF has no effect.