PDA

View Full Version : Moisture on E-6 Film

Paul Metcalf
22-Feb-2004, 20:50
I've always bucked the advice not to put film in a refrigerator after the seal has been broken, and never had a problem (I put the opened film into a ziplock bag first). But, after my refer went on the fritz, and the wife decided we needed to spend more on a new one than we have on our cars, we now have one of those real nice stainless steel jobbers. And, the refrigerator unit is cooled seperately from the freezer in order to keep the dry freezer air from "drying out" the food in the refrigerator (most refer's bring air from the freezer into the refrigerator, but not Sub-Zeros). Isn't that great?! I now have really MOIST AIR IN MY FILM STORAGE UNIT, er wife's refrigerator (good for the lettuce, not film). So, time to give in and follow the advice (but only after getting a few frames of really bizarre colors and solarized-like images). Anyone else have experiences with moisture on film (esp. E-6's like Velvia)? I'm curious as to what the gamut of effects is of moisture on film.

Time for a sandwich with really fresh lettuce...

Ed Eubanks
22-Feb-2004, 21:09
Hey Paul-- bummer about the film; but it sounds like you're on the cutting edge of fridge technology!
A lot of the new fridges have several drawers with separate controls for moisture, so that veggies (which need more moisture) can be kept differently than cheese (which needs less). Maybe your wife will let you bargain with her for one of these choice spots for your film boxes, and you get to control it however you prefer.
On the other hand, you could do like I did-- I bought an old second-hand fridge for $20, put it in the basement, and it stores only my sodas and beer (which don't require any specific moisture content in their refridgeration), and my film. This means that I have one shelf for E-6, one for C-41, and one for B&W. 4x5 gets its own shelf, and polaroid has a drawer. The door containers hold a good supply of batteries.
We also have some great additional freezer space so that we can buy meat in larger quantities and put it away. I'm living the high life...

Andre Noble
22-Feb-2004, 21:43
Paul, as a bachelor, I have one of those small (thigh high) $70 jobbers with the tiny top freezer which serves to 'refridgerate' the lower fridge section. It's great for storing film, and it sure dries out food real fast - which is why I take fresh meals at Mc Donalds :-)

It would seem that married domestic life is anathema to the serious pursuit of photography.

Brian Vuillemenot
23-Feb-2004, 10:20
Paul,

If you keep film at room temperature, and develop it by the "develop by" date, it will be perfectly fine.

jarrod connerty
23-Feb-2004, 12:32
I've always put opened boxes of sheets inside of Tupperware containers with Ewa-Marine Dry Munchers thrown in before I seal it and throw the Tupperware container in the freezer, and never have problems. Just make sure the silica's still effective and it'll prolong the life of your film.

Paul Metcalf
23-Feb-2004, 13:29
Thanks, all good suggestions. The "additional" storage device has entered my thought processes (as well as just keeping film at room temperature). But Ed, I think your cheating. Another link gives strong indication that your wife is also a user of film, so I imagine the arguments around your household mostly center on who's turn it is to go to the photo store and restock the C-41 (I'm assuming you're on your own for the beer) vice which measly little storage drawer you get "allocated." But I have my ways of getting even (the wife is almost as passionate about quilting as I am about wasting, er, shooting film). She gets only one room for her quilting hobby...

...hmmm, something's askew around here.

PS - Ed, I got my BS from UM-Rolla. I are an aerospace engineer!

Brian Kennedy
23-Feb-2004, 16:22
Ed - funny, I do the same thing -- fridge in the basement with beer, bottled water, and film. Nothing else.

You mention a drawer for Polaroid. Do you refrigerate Type 55? I've been hesitant to refrigerate any Polaroid film because I could swear I saw a recommendation against it, but maybe I've been wrong (maybe I saw something saying not to freeze it?). I use Type 55 and 59.

Ted Harris
23-Feb-2004, 16:39
I refrigerate T55 and T79. I have 5 to 8 packages oif each left from a case of each. Both are oen to two years out of date and thye keep on truckin with no problems and no color shifts in the T79.

Ed Eubanks
23-Feb-2004, 16:56
I actually use Polaroid pack film-- its more within the budget. But yes, I do refridgerate it; I've never read anything to the contrary, and I believe I HAVE read something about keeping it in the fridge-- just bring it to room temp before use, or else the developing times are changed drastically (which makes perfect sense).
As for my wife, she does occasionally shoot, but only when we go out together for an excursion like this past weekend. I put a camera in her hands to keep her from getting bored while I'm shooting! She basically shoots one of my Nikons in full-automatic, simply framing how she likes. She does occasionally tell me whether she would like to shoot color or B&W; otherwise, I choose this as well. She turns out some good images, and she has fun doing it, so it works out for all of us.