PDA

View Full Version : Leclair 5D

SergeiR
14-Aug-2012, 12:00
Right.. so i went by gut on this one, and figured if they were historically french - they would use European marking and #5 typically would go for 11x14 or something like that.

So it arrived today. First of all its got weird air spacing both rear and front - i never yet saw spacing done with cardboard pieces.. but there you go.. :)
Looks like 4 elements in 2 airspaced groups. Image circle indeed seems to be enough for 11x14 (just from on-the-wall projection).. Got to check focal later today with better instruments and on actual ground glass.

Anyone got any info on this lens? All i found was 8x10 petzval here on forum and flowers shot ages ago posted here and on flickr :) That was it.

Louis Pacilla
14-Aug-2012, 13:14
Well this wont help you at all.:rolleyes:

Steven Tribe
14-Aug-2012, 13:29
Could this be a fast "euryscope" type that had decomposed balsam early on and mounted, after cleaning, as an "amateur air spaced" version? Cardboard spacing doesn't sound like a maker's specification?

You should check, with a drop of oil, whether the internal faces are an exact match.

SergeiR
14-Aug-2012, 13:55
Could this be a fast "euryscope" type that had decomposed balsam early on and mounted, after cleaning, as an "amateur air spaced" version? Cardboard spacing doesn't sound like a maker's specification?

You should check, with a drop of oil, whether the internal faces are an exact match.

Tried that - they arent. There is a bit too much spacing in front too - like 4-5mm.. Front two , if removed and kept at about same distance (give or take) do have freakishly huge resolution - from look on the wall it was nearly 20 by something, and fairly short focal. Rear group spacing might be indeed some odd attempt at reassembly.

Whole thing is kinda like adventure.

Btw full name is "5D Leclair, B.B & Co, Philadelphia" (forgot to type full thing)..
I am going to mount it on 8x10 tonight and see whats what. Odd duck, but its kinda interesting to game..

I am starting to question many things now, with 8x10...
All the sudden i realized i had f8 petzval projection lens (rear element keeps trying to fall away, and i dont want to cement it in) that was sitting in cupboard for like a year, and it covers 8x10 just fine.. :) And i found that i have 7" Goerz, that i completely forgot about in instamatic shutter, that not only convertible, but also seem to cover 8x10 wide open (6.8 or so)..

SergeiR
14-Aug-2012, 13:59
Well this wont help you at all.:rolleyes:

Saw it here on forum too :)). Its different kettle of fish - this one was for petzval (ok, who wouldnt kill right now for 17x21 covering petzval for 100$? :)) version with waterhouse. My 5D got actual iris, that is marked from 8 to 64. Hard to say if its f or US.. (although its got very fancy sign next to marking, that might be "f")

Steven Tribe
14-Aug-2012, 15:10
It has the modern F scale.
I remember seeing this listed and have just looked through the images in the listing on e**y.
It looks like a regular rapid rectilinear.
Leclair doesn't appear to be a French manufacturer - I fear the name is just the European exporter/agent's or BB & co's brand trademark.

Louis Pacilla
14-Aug-2012, 15:53
It has the modern F scale.
I remember seeing this listed and have just looked through the images in the listing on e**y.
It looks like a regular rapid rectilinear.
Leclair doesn't appear to be a French manufacturer - I fear the name is just the European exporter/agent's or BB & co's brand trademark.

I absolutely agree with Steven on counts.

goamules
14-Aug-2012, 16:05
One of the initials is for Buchanan, Bromley, and/or William Buchanan of Phili, actually. The company had several mergers, so the initials sometimes change, I had a WPB. The one I had, a Petzval, said "Made in France for..."

Some history here, I had one:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?86757-Petzval-8x10-Large-15-inch-French-American&highlight=leclair

SergeiR
14-Aug-2012, 16:34
So focal is about 10-11". It covers 8x10 with some serious room to spare :) On shelf it goes (at least until new packard arrives), for day when i will feel like building large camera for shooting tintypes :)

Thanks guys. I think it is indeed R.R of sorts. Nothing wrong with it - i am not really much into swirly and / or super shallow DOF anyway :)