PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 8x10 Kardan Color

Christopher Nisperos
22-Feb-2004, 14:16
I've just seen one of these cameras at an good price (I think), and it's raised my curiousity.

I know very little about Linhof and I cannot find much information on the web concerning this particular model. Can anyone relay their experience using this camera, and give me some tips, or tell me about special features or limitations? (Hello to Bob Salomon . . . you there?)

Where can I find more information? Any help would be appreciated, especially from current or former users of this model.

Bob Salomon
22-Feb-2004, 14:24
Are you asking about the models with a monorail about as large as a man's wrist or one with a 35mm round or a profile type or telescopic rail?

If the first there are no accessories or repair parts.

Christopher Nisperos
22-Feb-2004, 16:44
Hi Bob, haven't seen you in a long time! Thanks for your reply.

The monorail is a wide diameter round-type. Could be the wrist-sized or 35mm, I'm not sure (I'll measure it the next time I see it).

In any case, I sort of guessed that parts would no longer be available. It comes with the crank-up studio stand, a compendium, extention bellows and a reduction back (I think 8x10-to-4x5). One lensboard, and the rail looks extra long. One knob seems stripped, but I may be able to fix it.

Is the big lensboard still made? Is there an adapter from the big lensboard to the little one? Is the whole lot worth the € 1400.00 asking price (about US$1860.00)? Are there any knurled red knobs still around in the warehouse? Are you tired of these dumb questions? :-)

Hope to see you at photokina this year.

Best,

Chris

Bob._3483
22-Feb-2004, 17:55
FWIW, Mr Cad in the UK has one in their stock list with a "long rail" for GBP 1100, so that seems in the same financial ball-park as the one you are looking at. No extras listed with that one though.

Cheers,

Bob Salomon
22-Feb-2004, 18:43
There are no parts or accessories. You may be able to use the 57 Technika boards 001080 but they are not commonly available.

Bob Salomon
22-Feb-2004, 18:44
Price should be in the mid hundreds at most.

James Driscoll
24-Feb-2004, 00:24
This camera.....wouldn't happen to be sitting in the back of Le Grand Format in Paris......would it???

If it is I remember seeing that monster....but it did seem to have every accessory know to man!!!

Parts pop on (USA) Ebay every once in a while....a few months back someone was even trying to sell one complete with its huge stand......

Christopher Nisperos
24-Feb-2004, 12:20
Hi James, (I think we've actually met, haven't we?)

Yes, that's the one.. it's been there for a long time and has only the accesories I've described.. I just looked at it again today. This camera might be great for a collector, but as a user I've decided against it ... too many "little" problems adding up to one big one:

The lack of available parts or easily findable accessories (for example, it's great that there's an extention bellows but where the heck —or how easily—would I find the 50mm diameter extention rail for that monster?); having to have lensboards made —not cheap here; stripped knobs and perhaps stripped gears; something's weird with the ground glass, etc., etc....

For me, the extra accessories unfortunately don't justify the asking price. The price for the camera w/o stand isn't much lower. Shame.

Nothing against the shop or the personnel . . . One of the best little photo shops in Paris. (tip). Very complete LF stock. Knowledgable, courteous and honest salesman. Anyone else interested, now you know where to get it!

Thanks anyway, forum, for all the help and comments!