PDA

View Full Version : Grids

Douglas Schmidt
22-Feb-2004, 08:53
I just made my own grids for my 4x5 ground glass. I took the static transparency film that sticks to glass used on compuers for window decals Then using photoshop or any drawing program I made the grids printed them off an stuck it to the back of the glass. looks great works well I even could pick the color of the grids I chose red. slick and only took me a few minutes.

Ralph Barker
22-Feb-2004, 09:50
Cool. Just remember that your fixed-focus focusing loupe won't work anymore. ;-)

Ted Harris
22-Feb-2004, 12:52
Ralph is right .... and your variable focus focusing loupe won't work right unless you can test it with the GG and then make the appropriate adjustments. Ralph's point is that the image is still focusing on the GG no matter what you add behind it, such as yoru grid.

Douglas Schmidt
22-Feb-2004, 17:05
Granted I am new to this field, Please help clarify for me. I placed the grid on the back of the ground glass (in towards the camera) I used a loop to check the focus and I don't notice a problem it seems sharp am I missing something?

David G. Gagnon
22-Feb-2004, 20:20
Douglas,

Your ground glass should be installed ground side in, (or else your focus on your negative will be off by however thick the glass is), and the transparency should be mounted on the outside. I've made these as well for my cameras after reading a how-to in one of the mags a couple of years back. The transparency film I used did not stick to the glass at all, but I slid it under the clips that hold the glass. No problems at all. It's a cheap alternative to the gridded glass that is for sale, and YOU get to choose the grid size and color.

Thanks.

DG

Bill_1856
22-Feb-2004, 20:29
I must be confused; what Ralph and Ted say don't make any sense to me.

David G. Gagnon
22-Feb-2004, 21:28
Bill,

They're talking about shifting the plane of focus out of where it should be by placing something underneath the ground glass, moving it farther out from where it should be. I'm guessing that his transparency sheet will not add enough to really be a problem, but they do have a point. With all the anality (is that a real word?) about measuring film holders and ground glass, we aren't too worried about using a sheet of film that tends to bow OUT of the plane of focus during exposure (unless we are using those expensive vacuum plate holders). But for those who want to maintain critical focus, this is a very valid point. Once the ground glass is moved, your focus on the film will be off when it is exposed.

DG

Bill_1856
23-Feb-2004, 11:35
Yeah, but he clearly says that he stuck it to the BACK of the GG. It doesn't matter what you put BEHIND the GG, the image is still focused on the same FRONT part of the GG, which is unchanged in location. Am I missing something?

David G. Gagnon
23-Feb-2004, 20:48
Yes, Bill, you must have missed Douglas' post in the replies section. There he clearly states that it is on the inside of the camera. Ralph and Ted picked up on this in his original post. I guess it's all in how one interprets it.

DG

Bill_1856
23-Feb-2004, 21:17
Your point well taken, David. Excuse my density and taking up your time to explain to me. I am easily confused, and thank you very much. Sorry to be a bother. Bill

David G. Gagnon
24-Feb-2004, 09:57
Bill,

I'm sorry about the previous post sounding the way it did. You are not a bother, and I do not consider you dense.

Please accept my sincere apology.

Thank you.

DG