PDA

View Full Version : Time to Get a View Camera?

RedSun
12-Aug-2012, 11:56
Why do I need it: Just for hobby, landscape, portrait, what else?
Format to consider: 4x5, like Sinar

I still can't decide if I should get a view camera. It is not necessary, since I have a lot of MF equipment (Bronica 6x7). The camera is already very cheap and will probably get even cheaper. My main concern is the cost and sources for the film. It seems it is about $2 for a shot. That is costly for a hobby. And the large format films will be even harder to get.

There may be more cost to get the processor (for color). I already have a 4x5 enlarger (Omeage D5-XL/Prolab II).

Vaughn
12-Aug-2012, 12:06
Besides making huge prints, the only other reason I can see a 'need' for a view camera is for image management (swings, tilts, rise, etc). Well, also for the larger negative which can provide for smoother transitions in tonality -- even in smaller prints.

Drew Bedo
12-Aug-2012, 14:34
RedSun,

As time goes by, the compelling reasons for any film based imaging modality become less and less coercive.

Never-the-less:
I do not think that any man must have a “good” reason to want to buy another motor vehicle, firearm or fishing rod (this list may be extended). If you feel called to do LF photography and can spend money not otherwise obligated for groceries, rent or child support, listen to the old Nike slogan and "Just do it!"

Pawlowski6132
12-Aug-2012, 14:49
RedSun,

As time goes by, the compelling reasons for any film based imaging modality become less and less coercive.

Never-the-less:
I do not think that any man must have a “good” reason to want to buy another motor vehicle, firearm or fishing rod (this list may be extended). If you feel called to do LF photography and can spend money not otherwise obligated for groceries, rent or child support, listen to the old Nike slogan and "Just do it!"

Here here!

Well said.

Ken Lee
12-Aug-2012, 14:53
By analogy: Some people like automobiles, while others like trucks, motorcycles, bicycles, horses, skateboards. Some people like bicycles AND horses. It's not an either/or decision. They are all modes of transport.

Within the world of cameras, there are many choices, none mutually exclusive. Within the world of view cameras, there are also many choices and configurations: format, camera, lens, etc. None of those choices are mutually exclusive either.

No doubt there are more affordable pastimes: here's a nice article entitled 67 Free and Inexpensive Hobbies (http://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2012/01/30/109065_67-free-and-inexpensive-hobbies.html). Photography on the list, so I can't vouch for it's certitude. :)

Ivan J. Eberle
12-Aug-2012, 15:39
Because cameras that use sheet film and especially ones with bellows are chick magnets, that's why.

RichardSperry
12-Aug-2012, 15:56
There are a few medium format view camera available, you may want to consider those.

Then you can justify selling your Bronica kit to fund the purchase, perhaps.

Lewand2owski
12-Aug-2012, 16:59
RedSun,

Never-the-less:

Totally right!!Do it right now!!
http://www.aofp.info/sun1.jpg
http://www.aofp.info/sun2.jpg
http://www.aofp.info/sun3.jpg
http://www.aofp.info/sun4.jpg

vinny
12-Aug-2012, 18:37
Because you joined the large format forum, that's why.

RedSun
12-Aug-2012, 20:24
Because cameras that use sheet film and especially ones with bellows are chick magnets, that's why.

Chick magnets? The chicks think the guys using the bellows are from the land survey office :-)

John Kasaian
12-Aug-2012, 22:20
To paraphrase a smart fellow:
"If you want to shoot a view camera then stop being a nancy and shoot a bloody view camera."

Bill_1856
12-Aug-2012, 22:37
View cameras are a PITA. You should rent one or attend a viewcamera workshop before committing.

sanchi heuser
13-Aug-2012, 00:59
Try a view camera.

Carry only the basic equipment with you (Camera, tripod head, one lens only, 2-3 film holders, light meter, simple lupe, dark cloth)
Shoot less but better.
See the results

chuck94022
13-Aug-2012, 01:28

I still can't decide if I should get a view camera. It is not necessary, since I have a lot of MF equipment (Bronica 6x7). The camera is already very cheap and will probably get even cheaper. My main concern is the cost and sources for the film. It seems it is about $2 for a shot. That is costly for a hobby. And the large format films will be even harder to get.

There may be more cost to get the processor (for color). I already have a 4x5 enlarger (Omeage D5-XL/Prolab II).

Some considerations on the positive side:

1) Each sheet can be developed individually. If you want to learn and use the zone system, being able to process each sheet with different push/pull timing, and even different chemistry, is possible. With roll film you commit the entire roll to the same development process. (You can designate different backs to different development plans, but that is more of a hassle.)

2) Similar to the above: you don't have to wait until an entire roll is exposed before you develop. You can go out, shoot one image, come right in and develop it. This is especially valuable if you are doing this as a hobby, and aren't banging through many rolls in one shoot, but instead are really just shooting a few shots at a time.

3) Larger film surface. Obvious values of resolution and smoothness of gradation between tones. Less obvious is it gives you more cropping options, while retaining a lot of image detail.

4) Very shallow DoF possible relative to smaller formats. You're going with longer lenses for even your normal lens. You can get a shallower DoF for a normal lens, or even a wide lens (eg, 90mm wide lens) than you would get with a lens of comparable angle of view in smaller formats.

5) Camera movements. Once you've experienced the image control you get with movements, it is tough to go back to cameras that can't do it. Amazing focus control in landscapes, wonderful perspective control in architecture, and incredible precision in product/macro photography.

6) Ground glass composition and focusing. Seeing your image on ground glass, under a dark cloth, is an indescribable experience for a photographer. There's just something about that big ground glass view that is completely unlike a viewfinder.

7) Simple, all mechanical operation. No electronics. No batteries. No distractions.

8) The rich learning experience all the above will give you regarding photography and image making.

9) Oh yeah, the chicks! I forgot to mention the chicks! :cool:

Edit: Regarding color processing: The only special equipment you need is a .2 degree accuracy glass thermometer. You can easily process C-41 in a wash tub that you preheat to the proper temperature simply by mixing hot and cold water together. It is not that hard.

ramon
13-Aug-2012, 02:21
View cameras are a PITA. You should rent one or attend a viewcamera workshop before committing.

And view camera ACCESORIES are more PITA.

Do you have spot meter? Add $100 ~ $150 USD
Development trays (jobo 2509+2521, paterson orbital)? Add $100 ~ $150
Film holders? Add 5x $10 ~ $20
Your new bargain LF lens has a non-compatible lens board? Add $20
You already have lupe, cable release and focusing cloth (a big one)? Add ...

Maybe you already have a good tripod and head, so you don't need to add ~ $400.

And because you already has a 4x5 enlarger I am not going to talk about $95/photo drum scans, or second-hand-twenty-years-old junkdrumscanners, or no-longer-supported-$20k-high-end-flatbeds.

Sorry, I have found too many "just do it" messages.

Borrow/rent a LF camera and also trying MF view cameras was a good idea.

If you don't mind about money and want to try ... well ... just do it, like everyone else in this forum :D

welly
13-Aug-2012, 04:22

Just get one. They're cheap as chips these days and they're the most fun you'll have under a sheet of dark material.

Cletus
13-Aug-2012, 04:38
Slows you down. I.e.:
35mm film - 108 frames shot, 6 mediocre keepers, 1 portfolio keeper - can print to 8x10
120 film - 24 frames shot, 5 keepers, maybe 1 portfolio keeper - can print to 16x20
Large Format - 6 frames shot, 5 keepers, probably 2 portfolio keepers - can print a billboard (8x10) :)
DSLR - 1,196 frames shot, 2 keepers, no portfolio keepers - 12 hours in front of the computer to find this out.

Jim Jones
13-Aug-2012, 05:42
Anyone considering moving into LF photography will benefit from much homework. This site is the best place to start. There are several useful how-to books that give a more complete overview than browsing here. The several films on Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, and others are tempting.

Cletus is right. LF photography need not be expensive. New cameras that cost the masters of a few decades ago a month's income now sell used for a few day's wages, and can work as well as ever. Completed transactions on auction sites and this site's "For Sale/Wanted" forum are a good indication of equipment values. Patient shopping should provide equipment that can be resold for little or no loss. The knowledge gained online and from books will help protect you from unwise purchases. Film is expensive per shot, but I spend more on gasoline travelling to a shoot than on film.

Bill_1856
13-Aug-2012, 06:45
Three of the greatest LF photographers (Paul Strand, Ansel Adams, and Brett Weston) gave up on their big cameras and switched to 6x6 reflexes for the last several years of their lives.

Cletus
13-Aug-2012, 07:04
I better clarify, for those who might take my remarks too literally - My post about "format vs. keepers" was absolutely a joke - with just a grain of truth thrown in for good measure. I shoot Medium Format too, when the situation calls for it, and even still a little 35mm now and then. Sometimes the subject absolutely dictates the format.

The generalization is true though, Large Format does force you to slow down and think about what you're doing. The time and expense per frame can give you pause when thinking about just "burning a few frames to see what happens" too and the BIG negative does make for much more detailed prints that can be enlarged to just about as big as you want.

I KNOW that almost everyone here knows this already (with the possible exception of the OP) I just don't want to deal with the fallout from those who think I'm being completely literal in my comments...

DrTang
13-Aug-2012, 07:24
it cost more, it's heavier, it's way slower, there is a ton of things that can and will go wrong, people will wonder what you are doing, no one does it anymore

these are all the benefits

Cletus
13-Aug-2012, 08:13
no one does it anymore

Funny, but true. No one does it anymore is right. You have to be dedicated. And neither to know, nor care what that little "flower" icon means on the program dial of your 'prosumer' Nikon DSLR. LF isn't for everyone, especially if "what people will think" is important to you.

C

E. von Hoegh
13-Aug-2012, 08:46
it cost more, it's heavier, it's way slower, there is a ton of things that can and will go wrong, people will wonder what you are doing, no one does it anymore

these are all the benefits

Unlike some things, LF view cameras can reward one in direct proportion to the knowledge, effort, and creativity you put into them.
I guess, by your yardstick, this is the one disadvantage.

Cletus
13-Aug-2012, 08:57
Unlike some things, LF view cameras can reward one in direct proportion to the knowledge, effort, and creativity you put into them.
I guess, by your yardstick, this is the one disadvantage.

Yeah, what that guy said...

Jay DeFehr
13-Aug-2012, 09:26
I'd say, based on your OP, you don't need a LF camera, but then, you don't need a MF camera, either. There are two equally compelling, mutually inclusive reasons to get into LF:

1) LF meets criteria critical to your workflow

2) You want to shoot LF

It seems you've ruled out point 1, which leaves point 2. I say, go for it. If you buy used, it won't cost you much should you decide it's not for you, and you want to sell out. This happens fairly regularly here -- someone develops an infatuation with LF, commits funds, time, energy, decides it doesn't suit them, for any number of perfectly legitimate reasons, and offers their accumulated goods for sale here. To my mind, this is good for everyone.

Buying smart doesn't mean buying the cheapest stuff you can find -- it means buying the best stuff you can find that will retain the most value, should you decide to sell it off. You can't give LF a fair go with junk equipment. I'm completely sold on Sinar monorails, but there are similar values to be found in field cameras, if that's your preference. Just keep resale in mind when you buy.

I think it takes a couple hundred sheets of film to get a good sense of a workflow (maybe I'm a slow learner), but you might decide after a dozen that LF is not for you, and there's no shame, or defeat in that. LF is certainly not right for everyone, or for all jobs. If you decide to give it a go, you'll find a lot of useful information here, provided you can negotiate the snarkiness and gearcentricity. Go for it, and have fun!

36cm2
13-Aug-2012, 11:27
... they're the most fun you'll have under a sheet of dark material.

Welly, I strongly agree with your promotion of LF, but man you gotta get out more.

To the OP: Large format is lots of fun. It's a pain, but can be very rewarding. Do you need to do it? No. You don't need to do a lot of things in this world that are fun or rewarding. Should you try it? I'm happy I did.

Ken Lee
13-Aug-2012, 11:36
Three of the greatest LF photographers (Paul Strand, Ansel Adams, and Brett Weston) gave up on their big cameras and switched to 6x6 reflexes for the last several years of their lives.
One could state it differently: they stayed with view cameras right up to the last few years of their lives.

E. von Hoegh
13-Aug-2012, 11:41
One could state it differently: they stayed with view cameras right up to the last few years of their lives.

And they hardly "gave up" on view cameras. They just used a smaller lighter camera, advances in film technology and lens production had made excellent results attainable with smaller and smaller cameras.

As for a view camera being neccesary, it isn't. Food, water, clothing, and shelter are neccesary. Everything else is optional.

unixrevolution
15-Aug-2012, 11:53
As someone who accidentally on purpose bought a LF camera on eBay, shot a few frames and fell in love: Go for it.

I love it because of the amazing results, and because LF taught me about light and photography itself. If you like slowing down to consider your shot before you take it, and finding yourself improving bit by bit as you go, and take delight in knowing things that are esoteric, LF is definitely for you.

I develop 4x5 black and white myself, and color goes to the lab. It's pricey per shot, but Medium Format gear eats more money in a given time frame.

Ken Lee
15-Aug-2012, 13:15
The old-timers who gave up their view cameras did so (unless I am mistaken) as their physical strength declined: they were less able to freely roam about with heavy equipment.

chuck94022
15-Aug-2012, 18:25
I develop 4x5 black and white myself, and color goes to the lab. It's pricey per shot, but Medium Format gear eats more money in a given time frame.

Lenny Eiger recently convinced me to do my own color at home, and not to be intimidated by the temperature control issues. You don't need a Jobo to do color. I now develop my own C-41 using a wash tub to hold the temps, using the same drums and hand agitation I use for B&W. Try it, you'll get better quality and achieve lower cost. The only thing you need to add to your equipment is a .2 degree glass thermometer to keep your temps in the ballpark.

John Kasaian
16-Aug-2012, 07:59
Yep, they did so. Partly due to age and the weight they were carrying.

Every format his its use, advantages and disadvantages.

One attraction of the view cameras is the tactile nature of the work. The feeling of control.

Just as one doesn't really need to explain why they got a Lotus Elan, a Triumph TR4 or an old BMW R90s motorcyele or Norton Commando - you don't have to explain why you have or use a View Camera. You just do it.

You can get camera, lens, holders, meter, developing trays and a box of film and be in business for less than the cost of a Nikon D3200. It isn't about the cost and you don't need a $2,000 camera to shoot this stuff. If you are somewhat serious already you most likely have a tripod. Might need a heavier or better one but used tripods are relatively easy to find.

As has been mentioned time and again, most of this stuff can be re-sold later without losing much at all.

If you want to try it, do so and enjoy the process.

To recap:
"If you want to shoot a view camera then stop being a nancy and shoot a bloody view camera." :rolleyes:

E. von Hoegh
16-Aug-2012, 08:12
To recap:
"If you want to shoot a view camera then stop being a nancy and shoot a bloody view camera." :rolleyes:

Yes! And, do it because that's what you want to do.

Just, don't actually "shoot" the camera.

mitomac
16-Aug-2012, 08:56
Also don't forget the 'Gambler's addiction' aspect. For each shot you have a lot of time and money (film and developing costs) riding on it, and you are truly gambling that you remembered to stop down the aperture or whether you metered the scene right. You then have to wait days/weeks for developing in house or out (which can also be a gamble) to see if anything worked. Some times the results are truly disappointing (oops forgot to account for the polarizer), but sometimes, just sometimes, you are rewarded with the jackpot! With practice the jackpots come more often, but there is still enough failure (especially in things you can't control - weather) to keep things interesting and bringing you back for the next jackpot. LF does come at a cost, but it is addictive as hell.

mitomac

Alan Gales
16-Aug-2012, 09:50
I still can't decide if I should get a view camera. It is not necessary, since I have a lot of MF equipment (Bronica 6x7)

Today, a lot of people would ask why you need the Bronica. Doesn't your cell phone have a camera? :)

Pick up a cheap used monorail with a 210 lens and try it out. You may get hooked. If you find sheet film is not for you then sell it and get most if not all your money back.

E. von Hoegh
16-Aug-2012, 10:07
Also don't forget the 'Gambler's addiction' aspect. For each shot you have a lot of time and money (film and developing costs) riding on it, and you are truly gambling that you remembered to stop down the aperture or whether you metered the scene right. You then have to wait days/weeks for developing in house or out (which can also be a gamble) to see if anything worked. Some times the results are truly disappointing (oops forgot to account for the polarizer), but sometimes, just sometimes, you are rewarded with the jackpot! With practice the jackpots come more often, but there is still enough failure (especially in things you can't control - weather) to keep things interesting and bringing you back for the next jackpot. LF does come at a cost, but it is addictive as hell.

mitomac

Dude,

If you're making all these mistakes, you need to use a checklist or something. One sheet of film = one picture.

Jim Andrada
19-Aug-2012, 09:26
Don't I wish! Let's see, where on my checklist did it make sure I actually put film in both sides of all the holders? Or grabbed the full holders instead of the empties on the way out? Maybe there's an iPhone app for that. Admit it, it's the nagging uncertainty that adds spice to the game!!!

1 worm = 1 fish??? If it were that easy nobody would fish for fun as opposed to fishing for fish!

BrianShaw
19-Aug-2012, 09:42
I don't see it that way (LF as a gamble). It really isn't very difficult to build both the knowledge, equipment collection, and disciplined methods to come very, very close to "One sheet of film = one picture" with virtually nothing left to chance. The gambling analogy is cute and I understand the intent, but have never felt like a gambler in all of my years shooting LF (or MF or 35mm either) ... except when going way out of my way to "experiment" or learn a new technique. Mistakes and errors happen, but that's not gambling... those are mistakes and errors.

That's from the technical perspective. "Visualization" skills are a totally different issue.

unixrevolution
19-Aug-2012, 10:37
Don't I wish! Let's see, where on my checklist did it make sure I actually put film in both sides of all the holders? Or grabbed the full holders instead of the empties on the way out? Maybe there's an iPhone app for that.

There is an app for that.

http://www.iphoneappstorm.com/iphone-apps/photo-and-video/com.michaelmorris.Holders/holders.php?id=445527423

I use it. When I remember to. ;)

Jim Andrada
19-Aug-2012, 11:41
Of course I was just kidding - but I remember years ago going out after a new snowfall (didn't live in Tucson then!) I drove to a little park where there were some neat ice formations in a stream. Only way to get the camera where it had to be was to hang it under the tripod and lie down in the snow to focus. Really neat!

Got home feeling a little sniffly and wound up with a case of pneumonia. Couple of weeks later I headed for the darkroom - and sure enough had taken the empty holders.

Not sure I think of it as gambling though and yes, practice refines technique but there's always the human element and a sense of excitement and a fear of having done something stupid mixed in with the excitement.

And now I have to look for an app to help me to remember to use the app that helps me remember what I have in which holder.

I have actually come around to putting a little sticky dot on the holders after I load them and taking the dot off when I take the film out.

Now if I could only remember where I left my iPad (seriously!!!) Haven't seen it around here for a couple of weeks. Must have left it in an airport lounge in SOME city or other. If only I could remember which city I've been in lately.........

Is there an app for that? Maybe a magazine called Modern Dementia Praecox or something?????

C. D. Keth
21-Aug-2012, 18:25
Using a view camera forces me to slow down and really think about every exposure I make. I find that the total number of exposures I take is far less than if I were using a digital SLR but the number of keepers is far more.

I can in no way guarantee that anybody else will be similarly affected but I find it holds true for me.

Drew Bedo
22-Aug-2012, 06:54
As scattered as my thought process can be, I have evolved a set series of steps when shooting in LF. Many things may be done in a different order, but I do them in MY order to be sure everytning is done. My most common mistake is to forget to close the aperature after focusing. One thing I do to eliminate this mistake is to trip the shutter once before drawing the dark slide. If it won't trip, the shutter is still open from focusing. If it does trip, I get a rough check on the shutter speed (Time, <1/10th, or faster). There are other things I do to help me get it right. I still mess up, but less often .

Greg Bliss
22-Aug-2012, 07:03
Buy one for the simple joy of operating the camera but be careful you might be a collector soon. I have too many and not enough. I do film and now more and more wet plate. The social part is fun too. Nothing can replace the smile on someones face when you bring out a 8x10 deardorff or 11x14 rochester on the street and a wetplate darkroom trailer in tow and do a plate. I'm not here for a long time I am here for a good time and my tintype's will out last me.

ki6mf
22-Aug-2012, 19:49
You can go anywhere with a view camera and no one bothers you when making images. Enough Said. You also get to say " MF I don't shoot anything that small"

chuck94022
23-Aug-2012, 09:34
You can go anywhere with a view camera and no one bothers you when making images. Enough Said. You also get to say " MF I don't shoot anything that small"

No one bothers you??? You've obviously never shot with a view camera in Beijing, China! Everyone wants a look under the dark cloth.

But they are all very nice about it, and respectful. And I frequently hear them mutter a surprise English word to their compatriots: "Professional!"

(I want to say back to them "no, amateur!", but I'm sure they wouldn't understand...)

E. von Hoegh
23-Aug-2012, 09:44
I don't see it that way (LF as a gamble). It really isn't very difficult to build both the knowledge, equipment collection, and disciplined methods to come very, very close to "One sheet of film = one picture" with virtually nothing left to chance. The gambling analogy is cute and I understand the intent, but have never felt like a gambler in all of my years shooting LF (or MF or 35mm either) ... except when going way out of my way to "experiment" or learn a new technique. Mistakes and errors happen, but that's not gambling... those are mistakes and errors.

That's from the technical perspective. "Visualization" skills are a totally different issue.

All it takes is paying attention to what you are doing. When you're loading holders, load holders. Don't think about anything else. Multitasking is nonsense, you have only so much attention to go around. And, if you turn the TV off (permanently), you'll find your attention span increases while the clutter in your consciousness decreases.

neil poulsen
23-Aug-2012, 09:59
If you don't know why you would want a view camera, then it's not time to buy one.

Here are four reasons why I like large format photography:

There's something unique about the look and texture that can be captured from a large format image, either color or black and white. (In particular, 4x5 and above.)

Like no other camera, the photographer at the scene has absolute control of the image.

Even with a 39mp digital back, one can't match the detail that can be obtained from a good scan of a well exposed and focused 4x5 sheet of film.

Large format really affords one the time and need to study and understand the scene being photographed. Maybe that's one reason why so many LF photographers photograph architecture and landscapes?

ki6mf
23-Aug-2012, 16:46
No one bothers you??? You've obviously never shot with a view camera in Beijing, China! Everyone wants a look under the dark cloth.

But they are all very nice about it, and respectful. And I frequently hear them mutter a surprise English word to their compatriots: "Professional!"

(I want to say back to them "no, amateur!", but I'm sure they wouldn't understand...)

You could reply "Documentary"!

I did not think about shooting in China! In the USA you do get questions like "Who still makes film"

I occasionialy get asked about having a permit if shooting in a National Park or if in New York City! In most cities in the USA the permit is to allow you to set up a tripod on a side walk. A MF or 35MM news photographer has fewer issues to deal with as opposed to the LF on a tripod! We still get asked about making an image when in public and you have to deal with some ignorant people, sometimes this is the police too!

unixrevolution
25-Aug-2012, 21:03

This is actually one of the things I love about LF. I am in the curious and unfortunate position of being a shy extrovert, and an LF camera is a hell of an icebreaker and conversation starter. Plus I get to turn all these digital shooters on to the fun of shooting film, and evangelize my hobby.

Smiles all around!

chuck94022
26-Aug-2012, 05:54
This is actually one of the things I love about LF. I am in the curious and unfortunate position of being a shy extrovert, and an LF camera is a hell of an icebreaker and conversation starter. Plus I get to turn all these digital shooters on to the fun of shooting film, and evangelize my hobby.

Smiles all around!

Definitely a win-win. And I've convinced a couple of people here to give film a try. One area where film, especially large format, is a very interesting choice, is in long exposure, night time photography. Sure, a digital camera is very useful for helping dial in an initial exposure (using ISO 6400 shots to estimate long ISO 100 exposures is very helpful) but when it comes time to take the super long exposure, film is a great solution. The digital folks will say "reciprocity failure" but I'll say "noise!!!!" or lots of post processing.

I also get a lot of interest when I talk about not having to waste time looking at a review screen to check what I already know I got.

Robert Budding
28-Aug-2012, 18:42

"When asked what camera I use, I reply 'The heaviest one I can carry'." - Ansel Adams