PDA

View Full Version : A small part for a big stand. The Century Studio 10A Semi-Centennial Studio Stand.

Niner7tango
12-Aug-2012, 10:45
It took many years, but I finally have my Century Studio 10A camera complete.

Well sort'of. I missing one silly little element that is called "pyramidal iron finial". There is still one original screwed to the stand but the other one is missing. I've thought of a pair of modern antique finials, or casting a replica of the original finial (which I haven't done since High School) or stamping one out of metal. But maybe, just maybe, the talent here may have a path to one.

This is my first post but I have over 40 years of photography and an interesting collection of cameras. Anyone want to chat about D-76...lol. Below are photos to guide you in my quest for the holy finial.

Thank you for the interest and effort.

Ron (niner7tango-my old tail number)

www.thereallybigc.com

Steven Tribe
12-Aug-2012, 11:33
What a stupid piece to have gone missing!!

If I were you, I would find a pair of matching galvanised tops for garden posts (which are used to water out of the top ends of wood) and modify/age/paint and replace both.
These ( at least in Europe) have exactly the right pyramid shape and size.

Jody_S
12-Aug-2012, 20:02
That looks like a pretty easy piece to sand cast out of white metal, using sand from your local riverbank, broken crap for white metal, and a plumber's propane torch. If Bogart could do it in the jungle with a bronze propeller, I don't see why you can't with the help of your local Home Depot.

jp
13-Aug-2012, 06:26
I'd probably see if there weren't something at homedepot/lowes very similar for fenceposts. If there wasn't, I'd put a piece of saran wrap over the top of the post and sculpt a replacement with bondo, then paint it to match.

Niner7tango
13-Aug-2012, 07:55
I use to restore antique cars, but casting metals (poured babbet bearings) is something I haven't done in ages. My first cast was a screwdriver handle in 9th grade metal shop. Do public schools even teach this anymore?

It must be an age thing, I want something of little effort, but I think I may have found something like a band-aid for now. This outfit (via the web) called the Sign Bracket Store (www.booksandlattice.com) as ball finials and post caps. One of the designs may work and looks close to the original. Unsure about the interior dimensions of the cap. Apprehensive to order two caps without a clear understanding that the will fit on the pillars of the Century camera stand.

Louis Pacilla
13-Aug-2012, 10:09
Something like this may work.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_108975-67197-72388_0__?productId=3609030&Ntt=post+cap&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

lenser
15-Aug-2012, 16:14
It's definitely a big long shot, but I swear that I've seen essentially this same cap used as a top for old coat racks and hall trees I've seen in antique shops, etc. I can't speak for the size being the same, but I've got the sensation that what I saw was very close in dimension. May be worth a bit of a search in your local antique shops and use office furniture places.

Good luck.

E. von Hoegh
20-Aug-2012, 07:17
It took many years, but I finally have my Century Studio 10A camera complete.

Well sort'of. I missing one silly little element that is called "pyramidal iron finial". There is still one original screwed to the stand but the other one is missing. I've thought of a pair of modern antique finials, or casting a replica of the original finial (which I haven't done since High School) or stamping one out of metal. But maybe, just maybe, the talent here may have a path to one.

This is my first post but I have over 40 years of photography and an interesting collection of cameras. Anyone want to chat about D-76...lol. Below are photos to guide you in my quest for the holy finial.

Thank you for the interest and effort.

Ron (niner7tango-my old tail number)

www.thereallybigc.com

Could you make a plaster mold from the finial you have and cast one out of acrylic resin or epoxy? I know the material is wrong, but if all you need is one for appearance....

http://www.lindsaybks.com/ Has some good how to info on home casting. You could also cut two squares of heavy brass and attach them, nicer than the raw endgrain sticking out.

lenser
20-Aug-2012, 07:26
While driving around garage saling this weekend, I spotted this exact product (size ?) on the top of a mailbox support. It looked to be copper or at least a copper finish. It follows that this must be available through a hardware store or lumber yard. Hope the size happens to be correct.

Louis Pacilla
20-Aug-2012, 17:21
While driving around garage saling this weekend, I spotted this exact product (size ?) on the top of a mailbox support. It looked to be copper or at least a copper finish. It follows that this must be available through a hardware store or lumber yard. Hope the size happens to be correct.

I think it was something like this. I had a link in my earlier post but here's an attachment of different materials post caps in 4x4. I believe they simply sit on the top of the post.

Niner7tango
21-Aug-2012, 06:15
I think it was something like this. I had a link in my earlier post but here's an attachment of different materials post caps in 4x4. I believe they simply sit on the top of the post.

How ironic. I was at both Home Depot and Lowe's for a project when I asked each what they may have in post caps. Home Depot looked at me with a blank face but the Lowe's girl walk me over to post caps. I had the original with me and my Xoom tablet (better than the I-Pad) with photos of Century Studio 10A camera. I saw the caps you posted but they are too big in footprint and this is all they had.

I just receive an email from the Sign Bracket Store and they sent a photo of the interior of their cast iron cap and dimensions. Just a little too large but close. Below are shots of my original cap, plus the SBS cap (rust colored one). I'm still kicking around the idea of casting one but it's a two part mold based on the original and I just haven't done that in such a long time. Where's Bogart and the African Queen when you really need him....lol.

Thank you gang for the efforts

Ron

The original is cast iron with a "O" for ID (2 7/8"+) inside. It's 3 1/16" x 3 1/16" OD by about 7/8" tall.

charleymeyer
21-Aug-2012, 09:45
Thanks for starting this post, I'm missing both stand caps (previous owner, a portrait studio photographer had misplaced them, but did find a 405mm Portrait Ektar which he included). I've refurbished and refinished both the camera and stand and checked all the hardware stores to no avail for caps that would fit. There must be someone out there who could replicate these - at least you have one for a master.

Charley

E. von Hoegh
21-Aug-2012, 10:20
Thanks for starting this post, I'm missing both stand caps (previous owner, a portrait studio photographer had misplaced them, but did find a 405mm Portrait Ektar which he included). I've refurbished and refinished both the camera and stand and checked all the hardware stores to no avail for caps that would fit. There must be someone out there who could replicate these - at least you have one for a master.

Charley

If you have the ability to cast iron, it's pretty simple.

Henry Ambrose
21-Aug-2012, 10:24
Look through this site:

http://www.kingmetals.com/

Harold_4074
21-Aug-2012, 12:55
It seems that the likelihood of finding a fence post cap with the right appearance and dimensions is fairly low, since the stand posts are not conventional lumber dimensions.

If reproduction by casting is not an option, it should be possible for a reasonably skilled welder to make a very good imitation from a few pieces of sheet steel. The trickiest part would be the peak of the pyramid, but this is drilled and countersunk for the attachment screw so it doesn't have to be perfect. A little body-repair putty followed by some sloppily applied black paint could match appearance of the caps on my stand quite well!

charleymeyer
21-Aug-2012, 19:02
Thanks for the link Henry, I did find a close fit tho not pyramidal, sorta domed - product# 16-808 (King Metals http://www.kingmetals.com/). The 3" is slightly large (my posts are ~2 7/8") but thin shims and a little paint they would at least cover the raw ends of the posts. They are steel but are only .74 cents each and would serve until something better shows up. I've inquired several forum members about the original caps - they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Charley

Niner7tango
22-Aug-2012, 05:36
=charleymeyer;923402]Thanks for the link Henry, I did find a close fit tho not pyramidal, sorta domed - product# 16-808 (King Metals http://www.kingmetals.com/). The 3" is slightly large (my posts are ~2 7/8") but thin shims and a little paint they would at least cover the raw ends of the posts. They are steel but are only .74 cents each and would serve until something better shows up. I've inquired several forum members about the original caps - they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth. Charley

I asked Ironworks via email with photos of my one original if they can reproduce this cast. Below is part of my email to ironworks.

The first photo is King metals press steel cap, the second and third my original and the forth from signs and brackets (shot from bottom). Hey wait! Is that a hen on my front lawn....does it have teeth?

79224[792217922279223

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Ironworks,

Nice and fun web site you have.

This is a long shot, but I thought heck, he knows his stuff. A gentleman I use to know; my grandfather, is long gone and he was a foundry guy for GE's locomotive division. He taught me as a child how to mold and pour things from lead sinkers for fishing to bearings for my go cart. Enough of history, here's my problem.

I have an antique camera called the Century Studio 10A which was built in 1909. Below is a picture for you. The problem I have is with the cameras stand. The stand has two cast iron finials on its wood pillars. One is missing and I've search high and low through the internet and associates without success. Try this link for a history on my quest.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?93761-A-small-part-for-a-big-stand-The-Century-Studio-10A-Semi-Centennial-Studio-Stand

You see the two black caps? They are cast iron.

I don't feel I can build a mold or pour anymore. My life with cancer takes it toll on what I can do. Do you think or know anyone that might be able to create a identical twin of the pyramidal cap from my original?

It's cast with the letter "O" for ID (2 7/8"+) inside. It's 3 1/16" x 3 1/16" OD by about 7/8" tall.

I'd welcome and guidance or input. Funny, I still have my first casting of a screwdriver handle. It's 40 years old.

Regards,

Ron

Ronald Robert Fichthorn
427 Woodlawn Ave
Cambridge, OH 43725
740-439-2561 - CELL: 740-584-0722

Here are links to me:

www.thereallybigc.com - - Brain Cancer Testimonials -

charleymeyer
24-Aug-2012, 14:00
Hi Ron, thanks to Henry's suggestion I just received my post caps order from King Metals and I'm happy with them. At 74 cents each plus $11.57 shipping (UPS 2 day, they didn't specify how it would be shipped). They will require a light filing on bottom edge, some thin shims and paint. The sides taper slightly inward being .026" larger at the shoulder than my post, the base is slightly more than 3". This is the closest fit I could have expected from all that I've seen. Charley793427934379344