PDA

View Full Version : Dismantling Linhof Technikardan bellows frames - need help

mortensen
11-Aug-2012, 15:04
I am about to change the standard bellows on my technikardan. Removing the front frame was no problem, but I simply cannot grasp how to get the four rivets out of the two interlocking rear frames without the risk of damaging either the frames or the rivets.

Has anyone done this succesfully?
thanks,
lars

mortensen
12-Aug-2012, 23:28
... anyone?

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
13-Aug-2012, 07:58
Man skal holde sig til LEGO!

mortensen
13-Aug-2012, 08:32
hahaha, knowledge dropped, Gudmundur!
... I can't help myself in my DIY 'upgrades' of the fine camera - at this very moment I'm dismantling my new Technika V to change bellows ;)

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
13-Aug-2012, 10:55
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/linhof/bellows-instructions.pdf maaske det hjelper i nöden !

mortensen
13-Aug-2012, 11:29
thanks, was just going through exactly that pdf
... the problem with the TK is the two interlocking rear frames

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
13-Aug-2012, 13:51
I have looked at my Technikardan normal bellows and it seems to me that the only way to get out the rivets is to drill them out. But then what about new rivets? Have you asked the one who sold you the replacement bellows how to release and refix the frames? The front frame seems to be glued to the bellows, maybe the back frame is glued too.

Bob Salomon
13-Aug-2012, 13:56
Just so there is no misunderstanding. The bellows were not made to be replaceable. That is why Linhof sells a complete replacement bellows, with new frames. From decades of experience with the TK I can guarantee you that if you warp the frames you will have a light leak.

mortensen
14-Aug-2012, 02:27
Bob, I'm actually a bit sorry to be so cheap and order 3rd party replacement bellows, but I had them made to my needs specifically. But I of course understand that you cannot recommend what I am about to do.
And yes, Gudmundur, I have asked the seller (ecbuyonline), but his 'reference' is a Wista camera although he specifically sells the bellows as Technikardan bellows. But he is helpful and has a good product, nevertheless. Front frame is easy as it is glued on.
Wierd thing is that the highly regarded custombellows say that they can refit bellows to frames...

Noah A
14-Aug-2012, 04:00
Did you go for some kind of universal bellows, Lars? If so I'm very curious to know how they work out.

You could compromise and just buy new frames, in the US Marflex quoted me $100 for a set of new bellows frames, if I remember correctly. I'm sure you can find them in Europe somewhere.

Actually, in typical Marflex fashion, I told martin to send them to me and never got them. As we've discussed before, I was considering making some sort of universal bellows or a longer bag bellows. But I sort of decided I didn't have time, so I never followed up.

Anyway, sorry I don't have more constructive advice, but I'd love to hear the specs or see photos of your new bellows.

mortensen
14-Aug-2012, 04:50
Yep, Noah - nothing exotic, actually, just a 300mm universal nylon bellows. One thing that is very different, though, is that it is conical like a usual bellows. It doesn't exceed the frame of the camera like the Linhof factory bellows - could make it less vulnerable... could make it less flexible for extreme (stitch) movements... dunno yet.

Bob Salomon
14-Aug-2012, 07:27
Yep, Noah - nothing exotic, actually, just a 300mm universal nylon bellows. One thing that is very different, though, is that it is conical like a usual bellows. It doesn't exceed the frame of the camera like the Linhof factory bellows - could make it less vulnerable... could make it less flexible for extreme (stitch) movements... dunno yet.

Could make it difficult to collapse and fold the camera with the bellows attached.

The Technikardan was introduced in 1985 and we have been the distributor in the USA for all of that time, and more. When we first showed the original prototype to dealers like Ken Hansen in New York the very first comment their large format manager, Lou Shu, made was that there had to be some way to protect the protruding edges of the TK bellows when the camera was in a case.

We contacted Jim Domke and asked him to make an oversized Domke Lens Wrap, blue only, which we sold on an exclusive basis as a "Camera Wrap".

While this perfectly solved the problem of wrapping and protecting the folded camera and bellows and we sold them for just about our cost. It did not prove to be very popular because the bellows proved itself to be very resistant to rubbing problems in a case or pack. So much so that after a few years Domke asked if they could sell it as their largest Lens Wrap and we stopped selling it.

Over the course of the past 27 years we have sold surprisingly few replacement bellows to TK owners. So few that specnding time and money on a bellows that would restrict the versatility of the camera would hardly seem worth it.

The Japanese Linhof distributor took a different approach to the double conical TK standard bellows. They first decided that to eliminate the possibility of damage to a double conical bellows that they would sell the TK with a straight bellows that could not fold.

That version didn't last more then a couple of years and is so unique and rare that I have never seen anyone even mention it on the Forum or any other site.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
14-Aug-2012, 11:58
My Techikardan is from 1988 and the "normal" bellows are still in a very good condition but as soon as I noticed how tricy it is to fold I decided to fold the camer with the wide-angle bellows only. The now "unnormal" bellows are kept between two stiff pices of cardboard and put on the camera only when loger bellows are needed.

Bob Salomon
14-Aug-2012, 13:02
My Techikardan is from 1988 and the "normal" bellows are still in a very good condition but as soon as I noticed how tricy it is to fold I decided to fold the camer with the wide-angle bellows only. The now "unnormal" bellows are kept between two stiff pices of cardboard and put on the camera only when loger bellows are needed.

Folding with the standard bellows isn't at all "tricky".

Collapse the rails, unlock the green locks and turn the focusing knob as indicated by the arrow on the knob. If you have the S model there is an extra step as you have to hold the swing detent tab down and then turn the knob.

I cheat. I don't turn the focusing knob to open or close the camera. I twist the standards in the same direction once all the grren locks are unlocked and the reails are compressed.

Switching bellows or removing bellows just wastes time. Total open to close or close to full open time on a TK is 10 seconds or less with the standard bellows in place.

mortensen
14-Aug-2012, 14:12
... the normal bellows I got with my TK 45S was filled with pinholes.
I agree, Bob, folding really isn't an issue - nevertheless, I follow Gudmundur's practice, but hey, thats because I can't use my normal bellows ;)

John Koehrer
14-Aug-2012, 14:33
Could the rivets be drilled out and replaced with screws?
Obviously there would have to be enough thickness to tap a hole use a nut or a tapped plate.