PDA

View Full Version : Is It OK to Store Paper in Basement?

RedSun
9-Aug-2012, 08:23
I have quite bit old print papers, mainly B&W. It just came and is in my basement now. I just wonder if i can keep it in the drawer of my file cabinet. My basement is fairly dry. But basement is still basement. Will I ruin the paper this way? Or I should store the paper in a regular room?

Kevin Crisp
9-Aug-2012, 08:39
At a minimum it should be in a refrigerator, protected from moisture if opened. I keep mine in a chest freezer.

jk0592
9-Aug-2012, 08:49
I found some (about 100 sheets) of Oriental Seagull G-2 dating probably from 1990-1992, in a "paper safe", out of its box, but still in its black envelop in the basement. I tested it, it is not fogged and is in very good shape. Basement is coldish in winter (rather long around here), and becomes humid in summer.

So, I would not worry about keeping paper in a basement.

vinny
9-Aug-2012, 09:24
I've seen old paper that molded due to moisture. that was in southern california.

IanG
9-Aug-2012, 10:42
Basements/cellars need good ventilation in ths Summer but paper will keep very well in them as long as they aren't damp. I've 40+ year old paper thats still OK.

Ian

patrickjames
9-Aug-2012, 15:04
Keep it away from heat and high humidity and you should be fine. I, like others here, have used really old paper. Graded paper seems to stay good longer and so does the older type of papers (pre 90's). Perhaps it has to do with the Cadmium content but who knows.

Ron Stowell
9-Aug-2012, 18:08
Been storing my supply in the basement for the past ten years, no problems. The basement is dry and I run a dehumidifier year round. Winter time temp. is usuallyl less then sixty degrees and the summer about seventy five.

John Kasaian
9-Aug-2012, 18:23
I've been stored in a basement!

Jody_S
9-Aug-2012, 18:37
I have only once seen old paper or film ruined by humidity, it was a 1960s box of 4x5 Tri-X that I got with a wedding photog's Speed Graphic and gear (best piece from that lot: a typewritten page of 9 critical shots to take of a wedding- he had 6 double-sided film holders). I have seen many, many films ruined by age and heat, but humidity such as might be found in a basement, only that once.

UlbabraB
10-Aug-2012, 00:48
Beware of the rats, they love photographic paper more than electric wires!

RedSun
10-Aug-2012, 05:09
It is very bad if you get rats in the basement. They will destroy everything....