PDA

View Full Version : Storage of wood cameras

Leung Kam Hon
21-Feb-2004, 02:15
I live in an area where the climate is warm and humid during most time of the year. In summer it can get as high as 90 deg F and 80% R.H. I store all my gear in a dehumidifying cabinet which keeps a RH around 20%. Should I store wood cameras in this humidity level, or should I just let them "season" by leaving them in ambient conditions?

Richard Årlin
21-Feb-2004, 05:02
Interesting query, I have a 4x5 and a 8x10 wooden field cameras made of ebony and teak respectively and both react on seasonal variation of humidity swelling and shrinking across the fibres. Maybe it is okay to keep them in the normal environment lest it be extreme. Perhaps I should worry about my splitcane flyrods as well...

Steve Hamley
21-Feb-2004, 08:02
I'd worry more about mold and mildew on the bellows, wood finish, or GG rather than the wood itself. Given the area is reasonably well ventilated, that should not be a problem.

Thanks!

Steve

Philippe Gauthier
21-Feb-2004, 08:23
Early 20th century "Tropical cameras" were designed for such climates. They used different woods, thicker varnish and more heavilt cured hides (usually red in color) for the bellows. I don't know why production ceased - because because of the end of the colonial era, or perhaps because they were overkill.

My major concern in such an humid climate, however, would be the lens - high humidity is good for fongus growth. A cheap and easy solution for your concerns would probably be a large, air tight plastic box (Tupperware now sells storage) with some silica crystals in it. Be sure to buy those in a metal box, that turn pink when they're saturated with water and can be dried in the oven when they are.

Leung Kam Hon
21-Feb-2004, 18:41
Thanks guys for your input. My concern is whether long term storaging of wood cameras (Ebony in my case) in low relative humidity (20%) would have undesired effect on the wood structure of the camera.