PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Lens Board

John Hoang
20-Feb-2004, 17:35
There is an auction of a 'mint' Linhof lens board going on right now on Ebay, the price is already $128 and keep going... While a new Linhof board sold at Badger Graphic for $85. I wonder if anything special about the one on Ebay.

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2987434494&category=29987&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

John Hoang
20-Feb-2004, 17:41
Funny, yesterday I checked Badger Graphic website, it was $85 for #0 and #1. I have just re-checked and it was $90!

David A. Goldfarb
20-Feb-2004, 17:50
Just looks like eBay nuttiness, but I think the B&H price on a Linhof flat lensboard is around $128, so maybe there are people who just don't know there's a better retail price out there. Used flat original Linhof boards are around $60 at KEH in EX condition.

Capocheny
20-Feb-2004, 18:01
John,

Frankly, IMHO, there's no justifiable reason to pay that much money for a lensboard even though it's "sooooooo very pretty!" If you stop and think about it... you're going to mount a lens onto it and use it on your camera. So, the bottom line is, you're going to eventually mark it up anyway.

Some people though... collect things like this and will never use them for the purposes meant. But, they're a different breed than "user photographers." I believe they're a breed called "collector photographers." BTW, this isn't a judgment call...everyone has the right to do what they want to do.

Functionally speaking though... there isn't any difference whatsoever (if you're comparing a Technika board like the listed one and a Technika board from Badger.) There are Wista boards that will fit the Technika and they also have a "pretty" emblem on them. There are also plastic version that pop up every so often but I prefer the metal ones. I've also seen versions described as being "made by Nikon" but I've not had any experience with them.

So, I suppose it's just what you want to spend on it that will make it worth what it's worth.

Cheers

David A. Goldfarb
20-Feb-2004, 18:14
I've owned a few different types of lensboards for my Tech V, and I will say that if you actually plan to use it on a Technika, the original Linhof boards have a much better fit than the others, although the Wistas, Toyos, and others would seem at first sight to be of similar quality. I'd rather economize by purchasing used Linhof boards when available than new aftermarket boards.

John Hoang
20-Feb-2004, 18:21
Henry,

I am using both generic and Nikon boards. The Nikon looks a bit better and it has Nikon letters on the upper right corner. I think it worths $5 more and in case I am listing it on Ebay... I might get an extra $20 for the 'Nikon' brand... lol.

Cheers

Frank Petronio
20-Feb-2004, 19:56
Used Linhof boards are the best. I wish I could get the enamelled symbol as a necklace though.

Garry Teeple
20-Feb-2004, 20:54
This board has the quick connect for the cable release, these boards are about $195 at B&H. The question is the quick connection worth $60?

David A. Goldfarb
20-Feb-2004, 21:30
All new Linhof boards come with the quick release.

Michael S. Briggs
20-Feb-2004, 22:12
Linhof still sells "plain" Technika lensboards without quick release fittings. The flat lensboard for #0 shutters is Linhof #1143 and for #1 is #1026. See photos at B+H at #1143 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=31335&is=REG) and #1026 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=31341&is=REG) (Badger doesn't have photos on their website).
I agree with David about the fit -- I have tried several brands of generic Technika lensboards and none fit as well as the genuine Linhof article.

The auction ended at $143.50, which is below what B+H charges for lensboards with quick-release sockets, so the buyer wasn't foolish in the sense of paying more than the price of a new item.

David A. Goldfarb
21-Feb-2004, 06:00
Hmmmm.... I think Bob posted recently that the plain boards without the release socket weren't being offered anymore. Maybe he can clarify.

Brian Ellis
21-Feb-2004, 06:09
Frank - Midwest Photo Exchange sells the Linhof crests by themselves, so if it's a necklace you're after that's the place to go. I always wondered why anyone would want a crest by itself, now I know. : - )

But back to the topic. The lens board on e bay did have the gizmo for threading a cable release. Maybe Linhof doesn't make these any more? I know the Linhof boards I've bought new haven't had that gizmo. The one used board that had the gizmo was the cause of my losing about twenty photographs from a trip to Yosemite. The little gizmo fell off the board, I foolishly didn't notice that there was a small hole where the gizmo had been, light got through the hole and ruined every photograph made with the lens that was on the board.

I've used Linhof boards, Wista boards, Adorama knockoff boards, Horseman boards, and Ebony boards. They've all seemed to do the job just fine.

Bob Salomon
21-Feb-2004, 13:33
"Maybe Linhof doesn't make these any more?"

They sure do. And we have NEVER - and that means in my case since 1980, EVER had a report of the screws falling out of the QR mechanism.

Bob Salomon
21-Feb-2004, 13:34
"plain boards without the release socket weren't being offered anymore."

Not me. Linhof boards for 0 and 1 shutters are available with or without the QR 3 boards are only available without.

David A. Goldfarb
21-Feb-2004, 16:11
Thanks, Bob, and sorry for the confusion. I must have misread something or perhaps it was in relation to some other item.

Capocheny
21-Feb-2004, 19:21
John,

I suspect you may well be right... only $20 gain? :>) Probably more like $50! Gotta love it. ;>)

David's right though... the Linhof boards do fit very well but I've never had a problem with the Wista or Nikon versions. As for the plastic boards...that's another issue!

$143.50!!!!!! WOW!