PDA

View Full Version : X-ray vs. photographic film. Comparison?

Ilford4ever
6-Aug-2012, 19:27
The question is not about application of x-ray film in medicine or in diagnostic applications. What i want to know is if i took two exposures of the same subject under same conditions, one with regular photographic film (say Tri-x) and X-ray film, What would the differences be between the two negatives? How would prints differ from each negative? If someone ever compared x-ray film next to photographic film, please post results! Thanks!

Andrew O'Neill
6-Aug-2012, 20:30
I think I posted a comparison of HP5 and xray in the big xray thread about three years ago... Just as I expected, with xray (which is orthochromatic) yellow to red was rendered dark to black compared to panchromatic film. I tested using the green xray.

Jody_S
6-Aug-2012, 20:53
The question is not about application of x-ray film in medicine or in diagnostic applications. What i want to know is if i took two exposures of the same subject under same conditions, one with regular photographic film (say Tri-x) and X-ray film, What would the differences be between the two negatives? How would prints differ from each negative? If someone ever compared x-ray film next to photographic film, please post results! Thanks!

Yes, albeit in 4x5 vs. 8x10, and different lenses. I'll try to track down the different images tomorrow and post them. The 4x5 has an unusual light leak, but it still serves well for comparison.

Ilford4ever
7-Aug-2012, 00:04
Can't wait to see those!

Jody_S
7-Aug-2012, 06:33
First, here is the 8x10, Fuji HRT Green X-Ray film, shot with a modern process lens and lens-cap shutter:

Then, the same shot in 4x5 on Fomapan 100, SA 90/8. The lost detail in the shadows is due to the incredibly bad reciprocity characteristics of Fomapan, the shadows would have needed another 90 seconds' exposure to bring out some detail. I'm including another shot from a different angle, without the light leak.