PDA

View Full Version : Pure Delight: Edward Weston

Jim Galli
19-Feb-2004, 20:44
Pure pleasure this PM watching a video copy of the 1948 US Information Service 25 minute film about Edward and his art. So many of the places visited are just down the road from me. Zabriskie Point. Rhyolite. Eastern Sierra. And of course Wild Cat hill and Point Lobos. The Ansco, Ries, and 14" Commercial Ektar I can duplicate, but I need a little help with the '46 Ford Woodie. Anyone got one they would trade? I purchased the video on Ebay and will refer you to the seller if you contact me offline. It was only $20 and comes with a recent fb print of an original 1951 negative of Edward in the case. What fun.

Wayne
19-Feb-2004, 22:24
Really? You liked it? I found it dated, disappointing, hokey, and quite a chore to watch. We dont even get to hear Edward utter a single word. I thought it was more of a patriotic, flag-waving excercise than a film about photography, photographs, or photographers. But I'm glad someone likes it! I paid almost 100 dollars for it from USIS, for 20 I wouldnt have been quite as disappointed. Are these legal copies?

If you liked that one, you will love another film called "Remembering Edward Weston"--or maybe not! IMO its the better of the two.

tim atherton
20-Feb-2004, 00:11
I would imagine that if it really is a US Information Service film it is most likely public domain?

Brian McGuiness
20-Feb-2004, 00:51
I just bought a copy from the same guy. Can't wait to see it. I live not too far down the road too, and I've got a restored '31 ford woodie, maybe a road trip is in order ;)

Jim Galli
20-Feb-2004, 08:58
Hi all. It was exactly what I expected a film made in 1948 to be. Like I was in 7th grade and the art teacher having not prepared anything spools up a film to use up the time. Yes, I think films over 50 years old belong to the public but I'm no expert. Brian, I think I sold you your first 4X5. Get in that Ford and drive it over here. :)

j.e.simmons
20-Feb-2004, 10:21
I have a copy. It's certainly made in the old documentary style - probably made that way because syncing film and sound at that time was somewhat expensive. It was worth the $20 to me to see something of how Weston worked, but the lack of interviews was disappointing.

wfwhitaker
20-Feb-2004, 12:50
Personally I was really disappointed that they edited the sex scenes out.

;-)

Christopher Nisperos
22-Feb-2004, 17:22
That might be the same film I saw at a Friends of Photography workshop about 30 years ago. A few of us laughed out loud when a stiff-walking Weston is shown leading a tight-sweatered, busty "assistant" into his darkroom. When the lights went up, Jerry Uelsmann gave the workshop attendees a sanctimonious speech, reproaching those of us who laughed and insinuating that we were insensitive to Weston's Parkinson's disease. Oh, brother. Some people will do anything to disguise saying "I knew him". (I didn't. Don't know Uelsmann either). Ironic that Uelsmann isn't exactly known for Straight photography.

Steve Williams_812
25-May-2004, 05:00
I have a 16mm copy of Willard Van Dyke's 1948 film "The Photographer". I think this is the film that is referred to in this thread. Big sound, big words. Fun to watch, but not real enlightening. There are two Edward Weston films that are excellent. We have them here in Penn State's collection and I showed them to my students this past Spring semester. They were produced by NET in the 1960s.

They are a two part series, both 30 minutes in length and black and white:

Photography: The Daybooks of Edward Weston — How Young I Was 1966

Quotations from Edward Weston's works are utilized to explain the inner feelings of photographs from his soft-focus portrait period, his abstract motifs, and his work done in Mexico. Evaluations of the artist are given by his wife, sons, and former students. From the USA series. Produced by NET.

Photography: The Daybooks of Edward Weston — The Strongest Way of Seeing 1966 Emphasizes the quality of simplicity in the work of Edward Weston as reflected in photographs of Point Lobos, California, his record of California and the western United States, portraits of his cats, samples from his satirical series, and his civil defense series. From the USA series. Produced by NET.

They are great and have interviews with Brett, Cole, Neil, Charis, and more. They are the first films on Weston that I can say were both inspiring and useful to me as a photographer.

steve

Edward (Halifax,NS)
25-May-2004, 05:05
On a side note, I would love to see some of Weston's prints. Does anyone in the Michigan area know if the Detroit Institute of Art has any? There is no chance of me seeing any in Nova Scotia but I do go west for Christmas most years.