PDA

View Full Version : Shutter for Apo-Ronar-CL 760mm

wiggywag
4-Aug-2012, 15:05
Hi!

I just bought an Apo-Ronar-CL 760mm barrel lens and want to insert it into a shutter. I seen it in a copal 3 shutter before, but Im not sure if it is the 3s version. Do anybody know?

If it goes right into a copal 3 shutter, can I do the mounting myself, or do I need someone like SKGrimes to do it for me? I have never mounted lenses into shutters before and does not know what it takes. Maybe there is a tutorial somewhere on the internet?

Thanks

Armin Seeholzer
4-Aug-2012, 15:16
Its not cheap and fast to do it and yes it needs SKGrimes! With a normal lens it can be done but not with a barrel one!

Cheers Armin

wiggywag
4-Aug-2012, 15:31
Thanks Armin. What about these guys, anybody had them to do the work?
http://lensn2shutter.com/lensmounting.html

Jim Andrada
5-Aug-2012, 19:14
There are a couple of folks on this forum who have used them and I think they were happy with the work. One of them suggested to me that I might give them a try and I sent a request but it took a really long time before I got an answer directly from Lensn2shutter and in the end I just gave up and went to Grimes. I'll try to rummage in my e-mail and see who it was and you could PM them.

Whoops - I can find the correspondence with Tim at lensn2shtter but can't find the recommendation - maybe a forum search would turn it up.

Leigh
5-Aug-2012, 20:25
Send it to SK Grimes. They have the knowledge and expertise to do it right.

There's a lot more to shuttering a lens than just screwing the parts together.

- Leigh

E. von Hoegh
6-Aug-2012, 07:17
Hi!

I just bought an Apo-Ronar-CL 760mm barrel lens and want to insert it into a shutter. I seen it in a copal 3 shutter before, but Im not sure if it is the 3s version. Do anybody know?

If it goes right into a copal 3 shutter, can I do the mounting myself, or do I need someone like SKGrimes to do it for me? I have never mounted lenses into shutters before and does not know what it takes. Maybe there is a tutorial somewhere on the internet?

Thanks

You'll need several tutorials.

Basic metal lathe.

Advanced metal lathe.

Screw cutting, internal and external threads.

Measuring tools and their use.

Then you'll need to purchase the lathe, and practice until you become proficient in it's use. You'll also need to purchase tooling for the lathe, measuring tools, metal stock.

That, or S.K. Grimes. (winking smiley)

Leigh
6-Aug-2012, 07:36
Then you'll need to purchase the lathe, and practice until you become proficient in it's use.
It will take a lot of practice.

I've been a machinist for almost 50 years, and own a full commercial machine shop.

We would have difficulty doing the fine threads that are used on lenses and shutters. It requires special equipment.

- Leigh

E. von Hoegh
6-Aug-2012, 07:38
It will take a lot of practice.

I've been a machinist for over 50 years, and own a full commercial machine shop.

We would have difficulty doing the fine threads that are used on lenses and shutters. It requires special equipment.

- Leigh
The finest threads I've cut on a lathe are 40 tpi on a Hardinge SLV (IIRC). I think it went up to 64 tpi.

Leigh
6-Aug-2012, 07:45
The finest threads I've cut on a lathe are 40 tpi on a Hardinge SLV (IIRC). I think it went up to 64 tpi.
That's a nice lathe.

My Monarch 10ee goes to 184 tpi (pitch ~ 0.005" or 0.1mm). I don't know where I'd find tooling to accomplish that. :eek:

- Leigh

E. von Hoegh
6-Aug-2012, 07:47
That's a nice lathe.

My Monarch 10ee goes to 184 tpi. I don't know where I'd find tooling to accomplish that. :eek:

- Leigh

Just grind a thread cutter from an old file.... (winking smiley)

wiggywag
6-Aug-2012, 12:32
I sent it to SK Grimes. I have no ambition to open a lacyinist shop myself. Have anybody here on the forum got the same lens mounted into a shutter? Any experience from that?

sanking
6-Aug-2012, 14:24
I had a similar focus lens (a Red Dot Artar) mounted in a Copal 3 by SK Grimes several years ago. These guys are first class at lens mounting work so I would expect you would be very satisfied with the work.

Sandy