PDA

View Full Version : Graflex RH-20

henseman
2-Aug-2012, 11:15
This is the RH-20 and says for 20 shots on 220 film. Can I use it for 10 shots using 120 film since finding 220 film in my area is scarce but not impossible?http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=78141&d=1343931239&thumb=1&stc=1

Joseph Dickerson
2-Aug-2012, 11:37
Henseman,

220 film is hard to find everywhere!

220 film is much thinner as it has no backing paper, just a paper leader and trailer. Hence, the pressure plate on 220 backs is set "tighter" and exerts more pressure. It might work, but it's very likely to scratch 120 film. The counter is also a problem but easily enough solved by simply running the film through after the 10th shot. If you use a thin film, not T-Max, it might be OK.

If you already have the back I'd try it but I wouldn't buy one to see if it works. 120 backs are cheap and plentiful on the ground.

JD

henseman
2-Aug-2012, 11:52
Thank you for your quick reply, JD. I wasn't sure of that...so now I know....yes it seems almost impossible to find 220 nowadays. I forgot what 220 was like. I was considering buying the RH-20 on ebay, but will go for the RH-10 instead.

henseman
2-Aug-2012, 11:59
Thank you for your quick reply, JD. I wasn't sure of that...so now I know....yes it seems almost impossible to find 220 nowadays. I forgot what 220 was like. I was considering buying the RH-20 on ebay, but will go for the RH-10 instead.

henseman
2-Aug-2012, 12:00
Sorry for the double post as it wasn't showing up on my end as being posted.

Joseph Dickerson
2-Aug-2012, 12:58
Henseman,

You are welcome.

Where is Gibsons? Ann and I get up to Vancouver Island or Jasper/Banff almost every year. Don't recall seeing or traveling through Gibsons.

JD

henseman
2-Aug-2012, 13:38
Gibsons is on the Sunshine Coast of BC.....even though we are part of the mainland...we don't have access by road because of the mountains so we have to travel by BC Ferries...a 40 min. trip from Horseshoe Bay, North Vancouver to Langdale. Its then a 5km drive into Gibsons from the ferry terminal.
It's a beautiful place and considered part of the rain forest....great photo opportunities here.
My partner & I get over to Vancouver Island (Cumberland/Courtenay/Comox/Cambbell River a few times a year as she has relatives in those areas.

What format do you shoot and what equipment do you have?
I used to shoot 4x5 before I came to the west coast in 1996 from Nova Scotia. I "had" a Linhof Tri-Standard 5x7 with 4x5 reducing back, Linhof Tecknika III, and a Linhof Kardan Color 4x5. Now I am getting back into LF with a B&J 5x7 Folding view with 4x5 back and a Cambo SCII 4x5. I also have in medium format a Century Graphic 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 (red bellows) with 3 lenses and a Busch Pressman 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 with Graflok back. I also have a collection of 35mm equipment.

I also have 2 enlargers...one Omega D2 and a Chromega B, but I don't have room to set up a darkroom. Also I raise budgies, so the chemicals wouldn't be good for them.

Brian