PDA

View Full Version : Desperately needed Chemical

Christian Olivet
18-Feb-2004, 21:39
I received my chemistry order today. Everything was OK. except that I've got Aluminum Sulfate instead of Sodium Sulfite. UUUUhhhhhhh!!! I was wondering if this is an easy to get chemical from whatever chemistry company is on my area, or is it more or less a chemical only used for photography? You know? Thanks,

Wayne
18-Feb-2004, 22:01
It is one of the easy chems to find. It is used in foods, pools, to name just a couple. Any chemical supplier should have it, though it may be in large quantities (like 50 lbs, but it'll be dirt cheap per unit weight). If you dont want that much maybe check a restaurant supply company or something of the like.

Christian Olivet
18-Feb-2004, 22:07
Thanks, I'll try tomorrow with the yellow pages. Do you think purity of the chemical would be an issue?

Wayne
19-Feb-2004, 07:09
I doubt it but I'll let one of the chemist types here have the final word, because I'm no chemist.

David Beal
20-Feb-2004, 10:02
Yes, purity is an issue. Top of the heap is "ACS Reagent Grade." I would go for that, because this grade is specifically prepared to have almost no contaminants. Your negatives deserve the best.

Best wishes

/s/ David David Beal Memories Preserved Photograpy, LLC www.memoriespreservedphoto.com photo@worldnetoh.com

Wayne
20-Feb-2004, 12:12
But, where does "photo grade" fall in the lineup? I suspect it's at least two notches down from Reagent grade, but thats just a guess.

Nick_3536
20-Feb-2004, 12:27
Photo grade is what they sweep up after all the other stuff is sold-)) May be not but I doubt it's higher then the common stuff.

http://www.basf.de/en/produkte/chemikalien/anorganika/schwefel/natrium_sorten.htm?id=V00-et6pL4Ylobsf2OS

Compare food grade and photo grade. Will the differences in the standards matter?