PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Sidney/Victoria BC

Scott Walker
31-Jul-2012, 14:45
I am going to be in Port Sidney Marina from August 15 to August 20.
Anything exciting going on for a guy dragging a big camera around.
Also need a place to park a 30 foot boat trailer, if anyone from here has space I would rather give you my money than give it to a rental yard.

cosmicexplosion
2-Aug-2012, 05:32
I'll be camping by the billabong spinnin a few yarns
You might be able to park in my street up in vaucluse
Where all the upper crust live
Orforatees are pretty slow to punish the local mob
Or if you want something more secure I can enquire
How is it you are landing in sYndey and have a trailer and not a boat
It's a riddle isn't it.
What are you wanting to shoot.
You could think of an angle and do a portrait story session that folks back home
Would find
Novel. You know like the local aborigines and their parallel to the blacks over there
Just to exploit them one more time
Or I dont know. It's a pretty global culture
It's probably best seen from an outsiders eyes
I like the idea of having themes that carry on for years
Or even lifetimes, if you have a few
That way your never out of ideas, just building on.
Sydney pffft...
Great harbour great beaches but if it wasn't for our dead folk
Building nice piles of sandstone it would seem Sydney was a capitalist refugee camp, ok now I'm just
Going to far.
But all I can do is speculate and that's best done over a beer a bong and a Barbie
So send us a hoot if you want to test the waters
With one Sydney cider.
Chers
Andrew

Scott Walker
2-Aug-2012, 07:57
Appreciate the offer Andrew but wrong Sidney.
Our Sidney and Victoria are on the southern end of Vancouver Island on the west coast of Canada about 6,730 nautical miles northeast of you.
A beer a bong and a Barbie do sound pretty tempting though.....
If I could afford the 10,500 liters of fuel and had somewhere on the boat to hold that much I could be there in about 6 days :)

Joseph Dickerson
2-Aug-2012, 11:08
Scott,

Can't help with the trailer parking, I'm in California, but Ann and I love the island.

If you like lighthouses Fisgard light in Esquimalt is cool and nice access at low(er) tide(s). The inner harbor in Victoria is really nice, with great views of the Princess Hotel or the Parliment Building with the harbor in the foreground. Sooke Pot Holes area is interesting plus you are then close to the Otter Point Bakery and Tea Room. We always go there first thing so we can load up on sausage rolls for the rest of our stay.

If you like historic architecture just cruising Victoria can be fun. There is a road that travels from Goldstream Provincial Park to the Sooke highway, it's the Humpback road, that offers some nice forest views. Goldstream Park itself has some possibilities along the stream and there's at least one really nice waterfall.

One last suggestion, the Irish Times Pub on Government Street for the steak and Guiness pie, and for desert, a Young's Double Chocolate Stout. It all sounds so good, I think I'll go get packed myself! :rolleyes:

JD

baxjj
21-Oct-2012, 06:34
Folks, there are a zillion wonderful so to take pics in and around Victoria. If you are looking for nature photography and don't mind a good hike try Thetis Lake, Goldstream park, Mount Douglas.... hell, any of the provincial or regional parks.