PDA

View Full Version : Autochrome Exposed Plates , Removing its Emulsion and using the Screen

Mustafa Umut Sarac
30-Jul-2012, 11:14
At APUG, We discussed much of the possibility to make an Autochrome Screen.

I found that removing the panchromatic emulsion from the exposed EBAY Autochrome plate and use it as screen with modern emulsions , was something makes sense.

My friend have 6 AGFA plate unexposed and he dipped the plate in to fixer and panchromatic emulsion peeled off smoothly.

I want to do the same with exposed plates sold at ebay.

By the way , for more technical concern , he reported dyed potato starch layer was protected by a varnish and nothing done on that screen.

My friend suggested two ways , dipping the plate to distilled water or dipping the plate in hot water. He was not sure and an idea.

What do you think , how can we remove the emulsion without harming 125 dollars plate ?

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac
Istanbul

MDR
31-Jul-2012, 14:05
Dear Mustafa,

I found an article about stripping the emulsion for conservation reasons from a glass plate unfortunately the article is in german http://cool.conservation-us.org/iada/ta95_117.pdf

But the formula for the emulsion goes as follows: hydrofluoric acid 100% diluted to 4% with a solution of equal parts distilled water and
100% Alcohol according to the article it will take about 2-3mins to remove the emulsion

Good luck
Dominik