PDA

View Full Version : drought?

codyjgraham
29-Jul-2012, 14:26
any one else feel guilty for developing film while most of the us is in a drought?

Brian C. Miller
29-Jul-2012, 14:59
No. Use hypo-clear before you wash, and the soak-and-dump method doesn't use a lot of water at all. If you are really feeling "green" then you can save your rinse water and dump it on the lawn or the garden.

(If you think that industry doesn't use a lot of water, wow, are you mistaken!)

Daniel Stone
29-Jul-2012, 15:21
No. Use hypo-clear before you wash, and the soak-and-dump method doesn't use a lot of water at all. If you are really feeling "green" then you can save your rinse water and dump it on the lawn or the garden.

(If you think that industry doesn't use a lot of water, wow, are you mistaken!)

+1

Dan

Erik Larsen
29-Jul-2012, 15:26
Skip a shower the day you develop film and you'll be ahead of the game with regards to water usage.
Erik

Richard Wasserman
29-Jul-2012, 15:49
According to the USGS thermo-electric power generation uses 49% of the water in the US. You do turn off the lights when you process film don't you? See you're not only saving electricity, but water too....

codyjgraham
29-Jul-2012, 18:10
According to the USGS thermo-electric power generation uses 49% of the water in the US. You do turn off the lights when you process film don't you? See you're not only saving electricity, but water too....

we have a well and i use a day light tank :P

photobymike
29-Jul-2012, 20:32
I buy distilled water .. use hypo-clear... besides where i live we use desalination ... as long as there is power, we will have water. Besides you cant drink it or give to your animals because of heavy chlorination. I only take a shower ever other day so i saved any water that i would have used on film.

Heroique
29-Jul-2012, 21:02
I live in a region where environmental radicalism is the norm, but that’s not exactly what got me hooked on using TMax RS developer as a replenishing developer (as opposed to a one-shot developer) – a process that can give the environment a break.

What got me hooked was the silky smoothness, rich tonality, and agreeable results when I use it to process TMax-100 film.

I suspect the average age here means that most of us learned “reduce, reuse, recycle” from our children, not our teachers.

evan clarke
30-Jul-2012, 04:06
Nope. It's just my wife and me and we have meager daily use of water. Our neighbors all have three or four kids whcih means tons of water use..we use way less than the average household..

Brian Ellis
30-Jul-2012, 05:50
As a white male I'm supposed to feel guilty about so many things that it's hard to remember them all. But using water to process film is at the bottom of the list, at least as I remember the list.

BrianShaw
30-Jul-2012, 06:19
Nope. It's just my wife and me and we have meager daily use of water. Our neighbors all have three or four kids whcih means tons of water use..we use way less than the average household..

Thank you for your service. People like you and your wife are seldom recognized and should be commended!

domaz
30-Jul-2012, 07:25
I figure I'm ahead of the game because I refuse to water my lawn, despite the neighbor's grumbling that my lawn looks bad.

Keith Fleming
30-Jul-2012, 21:40
Domaz,

You are totally correct about not watering your lawn. One of the great joys of summer in Washington State is gleefully watching the grass turn brown in the normal summer drought. It's my revenge for April and May when the grass grows so fast the only way to keep the yard from changing from a lawn into a hay field is to live by the mantra of "Sun out, lawnmower out." After fighting to keep ahead of it all spring, it gives me great pleasure to look at browning grass and say, "Die, you @&#$+$#!"

Keith

BrianShaw
31-Jul-2012, 06:18
Ugggh. I still like a nice green lawn. It is my only personality flaw. Ha ha.

BrianShaw
31-Jul-2012, 06:19
One of my friends lets his lawn go brown, but then he paints it with a green dye.

joselsgil
31-Jul-2012, 10:28
any one else feel guilty for developing film while most of the us is in a drought?

I work for an engineering firm that deals with water issues. The one major issue for all of Southern California is the expense of bringing water to the area from hundreds of miles away. Or treating contaminated groundwater for human consumption. As the cost of water is going to keep going up, it makes sense to conserve water or at least not dump it down the drain. If you can save the film or print wash water and use it for lawns or plants around your house. It not only saves a precious resource but also saves you $$$ and what better way to save money so you can go out and purchase some more film. I see that as a win-win situation. :)

Jose

E. von Hoegh
31-Jul-2012, 10:30

No.

BrianShaw
31-Jul-2012, 12:05
... As the cost of water is going to keep going up, it makes sense to conserve water or at least not dump it down the drain. If you can save the film or print wash water and use it for lawns or plants around your house. It not only saves a precious resource but also saves you $$$ and what better way to save money so you can go out and purchase some more film. ...

In my family I'm the loud-mouth who keeps repeating "don't forget, we pay for that water both coming and going" every time I hear a faucet left running unnecessarily. I totally agree with you but we are not very well set up yet to capture and reuse grey water. It takes effort. I'll be real happy when "the infrastructure" starts providing cheaper (I assume) recycled water for residential use. The company where I work uses recylcled for toilets and landscape irrigation. That really makes sense to me.

Jody_S
31-Jul-2012, 12:06
No.

No No No.

photobymike
31-Jul-2012, 12:32
I hear you can recycle urine... i wonder if you can use it for stop bath ... its yellow