PDA

View Full Version : For those who think Ebay NEVER finds in the Seller's Favor....

Jim Galli
27-Jul-2012, 13:20
I sold this lens (http://www.ebay.com/itm/150848662444) on Ebay. REad the description, it's good for a laugh.

The buyer then whined and cried like a baby. He wanted a full refund. I said Absolutely Not, mostly just out of principle. Sheesh. Did you read what I wrote?? Had to ask him what part of "if you are pedantic, anal-retentive, DO NOT bid on this lens" did he not understand.

He slammed me with a "Significantly Not as Described" case at ebay. As soon as I got it, I escalated it, forcing Ebay to decide. And they did, in my favor, in less than 24 hours.

What's the matter with people?? Oh, and for the good folks who think I only make nothing but profits in my various crusade's, I paid $189 plus shipping for that lens.

Robert Hall
27-Jul-2012, 13:39
Rock on, Jim.

Richard Rankin
27-Jul-2012, 14:00
I noticed your buyer also had his/her feedback as 'private' . That always makes me wonder.

Peter De Smidt
27-Jul-2012, 14:08
Good for you, Jim.

William Whitaker
27-Jul-2012, 14:17
So when do get the negative feedback he left you removed? His complaint was only to do with the matter that Ebay resolved against him. Doesn't seem right you should have to wear the scarlet letter for that.

Jim Galli
27-Jul-2012, 14:22
So when do get the negative feedback he left you removed? His complaint was only to do with the matter that Ebay resolved against him. Doesn't seem right you should have to wear the scarlet letter for that.

Good question Will. The resolution email said "This won't be counted when we evaluate seller performance. Note: It may take up to 24 hours to update in your Seller Dashboard." so I'll wait 24 hours and see if it goes away. Hope so.

goamules
27-Jul-2012, 14:30
Glad it worked in your favor, as all logic and decency dictated. Thanks for showing another person to block too. How dare someone can have "Private" feedback and give others public feedback. I wish ebay allowed me to block any bidder that is "Private" or leaves multiple bad feedbacks. But of course, they won't allow you to protect yourself that way.

Alan Gales
27-Jul-2012, 15:56
Jim, I'm glad that it worked in your favor.

I think this is the third time that I have said this on the forum, people are strange!

evan clarke
27-Jul-2012, 16:06
Nah..They are just stupid..

Brian Ellis
27-Jul-2012, 18:11
I write detailed descriptions of any item I sell on ebay. I can't tell you how many times I've had people ask a question that was answered in the description if only they had bothered to read it.

Alan Gales
28-Jul-2012, 11:23
I write detailed descriptions of any item I sell on ebay. I can't tell you how many times I've had people ask a question that was answered in the description if only they had bothered to read it.

Yeah, what's with that? Can't people read anymore?

toyotadesigner
28-Jul-2012, 11:45
Yeah, what's with that? Can't people read anymore?

Nope. It's 'generation Facebook'. More than 7 words in a sentence and they forget the first two...

BUT:

They know how to play computer games
They know how to party
They don't miss any important event
They are part of the 'fun society'
They are proud of being dumb

Just recently there was a study at German universities. Not colleges, universities! Most of the students couldn't write anymore. That's correct - their orthography was far below average. What happened to a country that had produced fantastic products with the label 'Made in Germany'? I mean, if they can't write anymore, how can they read? Even if they can read, most of them don't understand what they have read! The rest who did understand what was on paper didn't react in an appropriate way or even showed any reaction at all.

Oh, and just for the fun of it, ask somebody in your government if he/she knows how many zeros a trillion has. Do you still wonder why your country is in debt?

Good night, dear world. We are moving towards a new dark age with giant steps.

W K Longcor
28-Jul-2012, 12:22

Ain't that the truth! Last week, I sold a piece of glassware (as in vase - not lens) on Ebay. I said ' No chips, flakes, cracks or crazing" -- got a question from a buyer, who asked--" I buy only perfect pieces. Are there any chips, flakes, cracks or crazing?" I did not bother to reply to the dope.

cdholden
28-Jul-2012, 13:04
Dear Buyer,

Suck it.

Love,
Ebay

David A. Goldfarb
28-Jul-2012, 13:16
Seems like plenty of fair warning in your description, Jim!

Len Middleton
28-Jul-2012, 14:51
Had to ask him what part of "if you are pedantic, anal-retentive, DO NOT bid on this lens" did he not understand.

Maybe he did not recognize the description applied to him, at least not what he saw in the mirror...

Jim Galli
28-Jul-2012, 15:03
Silly me. I thought if you started your description with "Buyers Beware!" that people might read on....:confused:

SpeedGraphicMan
28-Jul-2012, 15:33
Nope. It's 'generation Facebook'. More than 7 words in a sentence and they forget the first two...

BUT:

They know how to play computer games
They know how to party
They don't miss any important event
They are part of the 'fun society'
They are proud of being dumb

Just recently there was a study at German universities. Not colleges, universities! Most of the students couldn't write anymore. That's correct - their orthography was far below average. What happened to a country that had produced fantastic products with the label 'Made in Germany'? I mean, if they can't write anymore, how can they read? Even if they can read, most of them don't understand what they have read! The rest who did understand what was on paper didn't react in an appropriate way or even showed any reaction at all.

Oh, and just for the fun of it, ask somebody in your government if he/she knows how many zeros a trillion has. Do you still wonder why your country is in debt?

Good night, dear world. We are moving towards a new dark age with giant steps.

Being a part of that generation... I agree but also take offence...
I agree that most people in their 20's are a bunch of whiny, egotistical, think-they-deserve-everything-for-nothing bunch.
But lets not group all of us together please...

I am 23, I don't use Facebook and I don't even have a cell-phone!
(Who do I really need to call? The US President?.. Batman?.. What do I NEED a cell-phone for?)

For example...
I was in the Library today, there was a mother telling her 9 year old son, "C'mon, its time to leave".
The kid put up a big fit started to cry, etc.

The mother actually sat down and waited until the kid was ready to leave...

Holy Cow! What happened to the good 'ol backhand across the face from the parent who doesn't take that kind of crap!

Don't blame me... It is the generations before me that ruined the world... Now I have to fix it!

Thanks for nothing!

Zewrak
28-Jul-2012, 16:29
Holy Cow! What happened to the good 'ol backhand across the face from the parent who doesn't take that kind of crap!

Well.. For one, it got to be illegal in many developed countries. ;) If you really want to see what went wrong, notice the changes in the family dynamics. But also, something much more worrying, parents view on schools and teachers.

Back in the day, a teacher was respected, by parents. Today, they are the common enemy of the family. I kid you not.

A year ago, or so, I was assisting teacher for some troubled kids of ages around 8 years old. One day one of them turns up at school with a knife. We took it from him and called the parents up. Who accused us of lying, because we apparently did not like the kid.

Had that been my teacher who called my mother, there would have been no chance in hell my parents would have taken my word before my teacher. This is not an isolated event, but rather the standard. It's ruined the chances for teachers to be able to keep a clean and calm enviroment for kids in school. After all why would kids respect and listen to teachers, when parents show them, they don't have to.

Not long ago there was a debate about if children should be allowed to have their mobile phones on during class.. Yes, parents and politicians actually debated if they should allow ringtones etc to disrupt classes.

No wonder they won't learn to read our show respect when they are supposed to do it in an enviroment that is more or less a subway station. Try reading and learning in that kind of enviroment yourselves.

And I'm not very old myself, not did I pay the proper respect to my teachers. But it's alot different now. I left school at 1990. Teacher at 1994, 2001, 2007 and 2010. Same ages, same school and constant decline.

Michael Clark
28-Jul-2012, 19:01
You are right on Zewrak, my wife teaches high school here in the L.A. schools.

Good for you Jim.

Mike

Frank Petronio
28-Jul-2012, 20:23
Good for you Jim!

Not long ago there was a debate about if children should be allowed to have their mobile phones on during class.. Yes, parents and politicians actually debated if they should allow ringtones etc to disrupt.

Best example I've heard in long time.

cosmicexplosion
28-Jul-2012, 23:52
You sure it wasn't a p&s with a crack through the middle?

jack_hui
2-Aug-2012, 07:49
Oh Jim, you did send that lens to Hong Kong? :rolleyes:

Michael Graves
2-Aug-2012, 08:27
For example...
I was in the Library today, there was a mother telling her 9 year old son, "C'mon, its time to leave".
The kid put up a big fit started to cry, etc.

I feel your pain. I was in a grocery store the other day and there was a woman with a kid about three years old, screaming its head off. I decided to put distance between them and me and went to the opposite side of the store. But you could actually hear the Doppler effect as she followed me over, screaming kid in tow. When she pushed her cart up next to mine in the frozen foods aisle, I looked at the kid, looked at her and asked, "Can I shoot it? Put it out of my misery?" I didn't see her the rest of the time I was in the store, but no matter where I went, I could hear that #$%$&&# kid! I raised two kids and never had that problem with either one. Maybe I was just lucky. Or maybe it was because they knew the consequences.

lenser
2-Aug-2012, 19:00
I was fortunate to raise two wonderful and respectful daughters, even when they were small. The technique I used with their exceedingly rare store tantrums, was one I remember well from when my dad used it with me. If I got out of line and refused to listen to his warning, I got one good swat with a cupped hand for maximum noise. That was accompanied by the statement, "That was one. If you don't behave, there will be ten more when we get home." I never got the other ten and neither did my girls. Often, the old ways are by far the best ways.

dap
2-Aug-2012, 19:18
I feel your pain. I was in a grocery store the other day and there was a woman with a kid about three years old, screaming its head off. I decided to put distance between them and me and went to the opposite side of the store. But you could actually hear the Doppler effect as she followed me over, screaming kid in tow. When she pushed her cart up next to mine in the frozen foods aisle, I looked at the kid, looked at her and asked, "Can I shoot it? Put it out of my misery?" I didn't see her the rest of the time I was in the store, but no matter where I went, I could hear that #$%$&&# kid! I raised two kids and never had that problem with either one. Maybe I was just lucky. Or maybe it was because they knew the consequences.

sheesh...I don't know what's worse, a kid screaming their head off non-stop or a grown man offering to shoot said kid.

DennisD
2-Aug-2012, 20:35
Congratulations, Jim -
And nice job on the photography (not to mention the very clear description) !

Dennis

Brian Ellis
3-Aug-2012, 05:42
sheesh...I don't know what's worse, a kid screaming their head off non-stop or a grown man offering to shoot said kid.

I agree. A fast whack with a closed fist to the side of the kid's head would have been more appropriate than a gun shot in a crowded store.

RichardSperry
3-Aug-2012, 10:13
Weird derail, for sure.
You guys must all be real old.
If you do that today(or the last 20 years), you would end up in jail. At least in my country.

And even if that didn't happen, with all the security cameras these day; you would end up on YouTube, and eventual social pariah. Weird derail.

Daniel Stone
3-Aug-2012, 11:41
and that's whats so f***ed up with our "modern" society.

NO DISCIPLINE

Children(and they'll remain that way, often WAY longer than they should) aren't taught to be respectful, rather, if they throw a fit, they eventually get what they want.
I was in the store the other day myself, and a woman a few people ahead of me in line waiting to pay had a 2-3y.o. who was throwing a bloody fit. He wanted some stupid candy or something, the mom said no. Multiple times. Well by the time she got to the cashier, she had enough. As follows:

1. Says "excuse me a sec" to cashier
2. Proceeds to wheel shopping cart into open area by kid bagging her groceries.
3. Yanks howling kid out of shopping cart, sets him on his feet.
4. Pulls pants down(yes, bare ass, not frontal bits, IMO a nice touch of decency)
5. Gives him (1) cupped hand swat to the rump.
6. Tells him(in a firm, but kind way) the same thing as Lenser(above) stated, almost word for word....Kid looks her in the eye and instantly shuts up. Still tear-eyed, but goes silent...
7. Mom pulls his pants up, and puts him back in kid seat in cart.
8. Comes back to cashier(who's a wide-eyed 20something, who's somewhat in shock at what she's just witnessed ;)) and proceeds to pay for her groceries.
9. Cashier looks at her and says "you smack your kid?"
10. Mom responds "yes, but only when its called for"
11. Mom & son walk calmly out of store.

All of the discipline stuff took around 20s total. But it seemed to work well.

I'm glad my parents gave me a swat(or two, sometimes 3 ;)), I know it helped to keep me in line.

-Dan

goamules
4-Aug-2012, 05:32
Lets's start a new thread rather than hijacking this one; "Beating Children - It Helps Them, It Helps You."

sheeze